Long Term Cancellation

Heidi599
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

Long Term Cancellation

Hi everyone,

I had a family book the entire month of May.  The mother incurred a spinal injury and needs to recover, so they need to cancel.  I see that Airbnb's long-term policy is a full refund if canceled within 48 hours and then a partial refund - 30 days non-refundable, and the remainder is refunded. Anyway, I am fine with her canceling because of the seriousness of her injury.  She called Airbnb and said the person on the line suggested I alter my cancellation policy, but, it seems the long-term policy is a set Airbnb policy hosts have no control over, is that correct? How do I go about this? I would like to open these dates up so someone else can book, it's already been a week since I was informed of this.  Does the renter have to wait until I receive the funds on May 2, and then I refund her?

Thanks for the help! H

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Heidi599  Typically, the Airbnb rep you talked to gave you erroneous advice. Changing your cancellation policy has no bearing on already booked reservations, only on future ones, and your normal cancellation policy is not applicable to long term bookings, and you have no ability to change the long term policy.

I can't believe these idiots are being paid to give out false information.

What you can do is tell the guest to cancel and tell her you will authorize a full refund. If it proves problematic to do so through Airbnb, then wait to get the payment and then use the Send Money option in the Resolution Center. And let your guest know this intention, so they don't think you just got them to canccel and are going to stiff them on a refund.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Heidi599.

Since you will not receive the payout until 24 hours after the scheduled check-in, you don't have the money to refund.  Never provide a refund for a reservation through the Resolution Center.  I would express my sincere sympathy for the woman's injury, tell them to cancel and that I will refund any amounts for dates that are rebooked and the reservations completed.    

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

@Heidi599I'm wondering why you're cautioning against providing a refund through the Resolution Center. Wouldn't that in some cases be easiest?

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

Be sure to remind the guest that you don't control the finances. she's probably already paid and is unaware you don't get paid until Day2 of the actual trip.  Guests are unaware we have very little control on our side. 

Hi there, I did remind her of this and the funny thing is, is she is a superhost, I see it on her profile. She insisted yesterday that another host “reimbursed her with no problems.” I’m not sure why she doesn’t understand how Airbnb works.

@Heidi599  Oh, she probably understand how it works, she just wants you to refund her. 

And it's interesting that she has done this before- cancelled and expected a full refund. I wouldn't be so quick to believe her spinal surgery story.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Then she a) knows how the system works and that you can't change your cancellation policy for pre-booked guests b) she should have taken out travel insurance  @Heidi599 

I would say you are sorry to hear about her condition. Suggest she claims on her on her travel insurance. That alternatively IF she get bookings to replace the dates she has booked you will consider a proportional refund.

Remind her that as she's probably aware any changes to a listing don't apply to guests who have already booked.