Long Term Reservation Cancellation and Refund

Mike-And-Monica0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Long Term Reservation Cancellation and Refund

I have a guest that booked a 75 night reservation 6 months ago under a Strict Cancellation Policy. 12 days prior to the arrival, I received a request for a full refund as the guest's father fell, and they were wanting to stay with the family. Airbnb said we are able to refund you in full at Host's discretion and has continued to claim the Host discretion, which makes it seem as if every Cancellation policy can be refunded if it is up to the host.

One can cancel up to the immediate 30 days without penalty actually, and I have offered to refund the other 30 days as soon as they are available and re-let. Is there anything else I can do?

I guess Airbnb continues to say to the guest that the Host is denying the full refund and it is painting me into the corner with guilt. What would you recommend?

1 Reply 1
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Mike-And-Monica0 

A "long term stay" always has the "lomg term stay cancellation policy" attached, overruling the default cancellation policy. It means when your guest cancels, the first 30 nights are not refunded.

You are not obliged to refund those 30 nights nights, but it is up to you if you want to provide some more or a full refund, especilally if you are able to rebook the nights full or partial.

Do not feel "paining into the corner with guild".

Guests have the oppertunity to get Travel Inssurance when making a reservation, which would probably compensate the loss.