Looking for generosity and hope, lost please help!

Looking for generosity and hope, lost please help!

Hello, my names Cierra Smith I’m a 22 year old college student in the nursing field. Recently I was uprooted from my home of 8 years in Texas to move back to my hometown (Simi Valley) so that I could take care of my 81 year old grandmother. My grandmother was my rock my support system she was like a mother to me since mine was never around. Well recently I lost her to COPD and early stages of cancer her old fragile body just couldn’t take anymore and this has rocked my world to its very core I cannot function, can’t eat ,sleep, can’t do anything. Her loss has left me depressed, broken, and scared for my future as she left us with no will and everything will be divided amongst my estranged uncle and my mother whom doesnt want anything to do with me, all I have left from my grandmother is my ongoing college career which she paid for in full and my car.. well I’ve been sleeping in that very car since she passed about 2 weeks ago and my college work, attendance and GPA are falling drastically so let’s get down to the root of the question: I desperately am seeking somewhere to stay for a month while I get on my feet get back into my studies and bring my GPA back up, get a job and start to support myself, and most of all grieve for my grandmothers death in a healthy environment and start to find happiness in my life again, so I really am looking for someone who would gratefully be able to help me and open up a space for me in my situation... I don’t know what else to do or where else to look, I have no other family for support, and was left with absolutely no money. I’m scared for my future and upset that I may not be able to make my grandmother proud of me by finishing my education I only have one semester left. If you could be that generous person please let me know, all I’m asking for is a chance to thrive instead of staying homeless in my car and failing school after I’ve already come so far! Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read my story I sincerely hope to hear from you soon!

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm not quite sure why you can't stay in your grandmothers place while the will is sorted out but glad your grandmother was generous enough to give you a car and pay for you to study.

If your family, friends and college can't help, you would be best to look for a job to support yourself whilst at college so you can find a house share. If you are street homeless, you can approach your local government for emergency housing rather than putting yourself at risk by sleeping in your car.

Best of luck @Cierra18 

The home is already completely cleaned out and staged for sale, probably sold by now idk I don’t talk to my family or rather they don’t talk to me. I’ve reached out also on a waiting list for that too. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Cierra18 I would suggest reaching out to someone at your school for help. A trusted professor or your school counselor/health department. Colleges offer many resources and you should really take advantage of them, especially now. Best of luck to you.

There’s an almost 3 week waiting list for my school counselor unfortunately, I did reach out to a professor and this is the advice he gave me, Airbnb 

@Cierra18  Here are some articles that might be useful:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/loans/student-loans/emergency-food-housing-college

https://withfrank.org/how-to-pay-for-college/what-are-the-types-of-aid-available/housing-assistance-...

Unfortunately, this is an especially difficult time for what scant emergency housing resources exist in the US. I suggest that you make your college's financial aid office your first point of contact. Hopefully they can either help you organize a grant or loan for student housing, or aid to cover other expenses and free up some of your budget for off-campus housing. 

I’m done with school in a month, there’s really nothing much they can do I get a check in the mail for the rest of my financial aid in a few weeks that’s the best they can do for me but all of my financial aid has been used at this point I believe 

I’ve posted this on this platform specifically because I have exhausted all other options and looked into everything else that I posssibly could have, im either on waiting lists or SOL basically or else I wouldn’t be asking on this platform like this in the first place 😔😔😞

@Cierra18 I appreciate that you feel like you've exhausted your options, but this particular forum is oriented toward solving general problems related to hosting and traveling with Airbnb. Its global in nature, and the odds are infinitessimally low that a contributor will even be in your region. What you're seeking help with is local in nature, and it's unfortunately far too much to ask for strangers in a chat to solve your housing problem. If people were looking to supply long term housing at below-market rent, Airbnb would not be their platform of choice.