Low evaluation without reasons

Élodie28
Level 1
Montreal, CA

Low evaluation without reasons

Hi,

Someone gabe me an overall 3, but mainly 5s, one 5 and one 3 in the individual notes and no bad comments, his comment is positive! Is it possible to tell airbnb about it? Because with an overall 3, it will be hard to continue...

Thank you,

Élodie Poirier

5 Replies 5
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Élodie28  He does mention the noise from the supermarket below the apartment so I would guess this to be the reason for the 3. You could try to get Airbnb to see if he mistakenly left the 3, but I don't expect they will. They will say 'that is the viewpoint of the guest, so the review/rating will stand.' Which is fair, but what isn't, is that they at no point explain to guests how disruptive a 3 is to a hosts (overall) ability to keep their listing alive. In this case, you can see the train of thought....guest sees the positives in your listing (that's the high score), but considers the downside of the noise from the market (that's the low score), and figures he's doing the right thing by settling in the middle at a 3. But being 'unschooled' about the reality of the star rating for hosts, he doesn't realize the problem for you. This is a huge problem with the Airbnb review system. 

But don't despair just yet. There is nothing stopping you, and nowhere to go but up. You've highlighted the noise issue, but maybe go further and **BOLD** it. Also make note of it in communications with guests requesting to book. That way they are VERY aware of it and won't be taken (negatively) by surprise. More good reviews, and better ratings, are sure to follow, by guests who aren't bothered by noise. I can't see Airbnb suspending your listing, and guests read more into reviews than they do stars. Your response to this guests review was well done. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Élodie28 you should tick “potential for noise” and explain it in your Amenities Limitations (under House Rules). After Airbnb’s recent rollout of new policies for “irrelevant” reviews I was able to get a 3-star review with complaints about facts clearly disclosed in the listing removed. You could try that. As @Colleen253 said it’s probably not likely, but worth a try. Write to Airbnb help quoting the new policy and directly linking it to the part of the review about the market noise.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Making-reviews-more-relevant-and-useful-for-our-c...

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

The trouble is, she originally noted only that the apt is above a market, and added the note about truck noise after the review mentioned it. 

@Colleen253 still, it’s a complaint about something not under her control, which the new policy prohibits. (Somewhat ridiculously.) With luck it might be removed. Worth a shot.

Always worth a shot, no matter how long 👍:oncoming_fist: @Élodie28  Give it a go, and keep us updated.