Maintaining a 5 stars rating

Sebastian1001
Host Advisory Board Member
Orléans, France

Maintaining a 5 stars rating

Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 13.04.30.png

Hi, 

How do you manage to keep your ratings as high as possible? In my opinion, it's often the little details that make all the difference, don't you think? 

Starting with a short message to your guest thanking him for his booking and reminding him of the access information to your listing, the rules of the house and other practical advice. I find that the more clear and precise information we give in advance, the more we avoid misunderstandings and unpleasant surprises… Another detail, for example, consists of setting the arrival time of your guest, already to avoid you waiting unnecessarily and to reassure him. A small candy on the pillow, a courtesy tray with tea or coffee, shampoo and shower gel, decoration that is not 100% IKEA but rather a mix of modern and second-hand items to stand out from other accommodations. Be available for your guest while remaining discreet. Be professional but not cold in the relationship. Provide quick solutions and responses to the guest. This is my idea of ​​wholesale hospitality. 

What do you think? Thank you for your feedback!

Sebastian

67 Replies 67

@Chris2003 wrote:

@Sebastian1001 I would say it's basically impossible to maintain a 5* rating in the longterm. If you can maintain 4.8 then you're doing well. 4.9 and you're doing very well.

I think the first thing you need to get right is the listing description and amenities. You just need to be honest. Some of my guests have said they stayed in a 'villa'.. I'd say it's a bungalow with a pool. I feel like if I marketed it as a villa, then you run the risk of attracting people who wipe their bottom with money.. people who will not be 'wowed' and more likely to write a less favourable review.

@Chris2003  lol. But you are so correct, this is why I shy away from terms like "luxurious" and "stylish" because everyone's idea of that is different, and I have friends (given our money is plastic i'll assume they use normal loo paper) who spend thousands on their decor. I would use words like elegant, luxurious, designer to describe their homes, but I don't see a good ROI on spending $100 per cushion for my airbnbs, so I don't. I have written "simply styled" to let people know I've put some thought into it, but it's a humble space. I get lots of comments on how lovely the styling is, and I hope that's because I didn't try to wow them with bs in the listing blurb, and because i have some very wealthy friends so I know what level my place actually sits at. 

Nikki237
Level 2
Langford, Canada

The location category literally needs to be removed from criteria. A guest cannot complain since they literally have to look on a map the exact location or where the property is prior to booking. 
My listing is exactly how I stated it, I even took multiple photos of the entry and staircase to show that this is indeed, a ground level unit. I agree with @Gillian166  I avoided the use of “luxury and modern”,  since my space is quite humble. I don’t want to jinx anything but so far so good with a 23 consecutive 5 star streak! I think I will definitely have a cry when that day comes. 

@Nikki237 

that's a great run! in our early days I had some low scores for Value, because the guests were the wrong fit for us. They weren't rich, the opposite actually, but i guess they still wanted gold plated toilets or something, whilst not understanding the property itself is where the "luxury" is. Some people value bling over private, peaceful country farm life. 🤷🏻‍♀️ only some, i've not had anyone like that in the past 6 months so my wording must be ok. 

I've also had a few people give me 4* for location, and it drives me crazy, as you explain. they chose the location from the map, how can they complain?? If you want to be around the corner from the wedding venue then find a listing near there, book earlier, be smarter. I hate being penalised like that, for something that is out of my control. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Sybe  The involvement of the Host Board in the development and implementation of the new category search function is an extremely legitimate question, one that was asked on several of the category threads and to my knowledge was not ever answered by Airbnb or any of the hosts on the board.  

Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Mark116 ,

I can only answer by quoting @Stephanie response on 2nd page:

"The HAB are only committed to making statements on behalf of Airbnb twice a year (which is coming up soon.) Other than that, should they want to talk about something they have been working on, it goes through legal review. "

I am always interested in all of your comments as you have a long experience.

I participate a lot on French Community Center as an Host where I help and share when I know the answer.

It is very useful for HAB role to listen to other hosts experience. Thank you for sharing your honest point of view even if it hurts sometime!

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)
Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

I have tried everything. I think "reading" the style of the guest and going with the flow as well as having a very clean place that is as advertised are really the best things to do. 

James413
Level 3
Gig Harbor, WA

I think your suggestions are good.  I ask my guests their approximate arrival time but know it could change due air delays etc.  Any time they arrive after check in is fine.  We provide a full

breakfast.  I  only advertise a continental breakfast incase I have an emergency.  All guests

on the first morning are getting more then they expected.  I ask them in advance if they

have a special diet.  This week I had someone on a Keto Diet.  Sometimes they are on a Gluten free diet.  Each room has a private bathroom with a hamper.  Guests put dirty towels

and their laundry in the hamper and I wash  their laundry.   We get guests from all over the

world and with luggage costs I feel this makes it more considerate of the guest.  Our last

guest that had booked for a week was  to check in at 3:00pm and never arrived until

2:00 am because of the airline delay.  I had a bottle of wine waiting for him on arrival.

I don't put candy on the pillow but depending on the guest I try to do something special.

You can never go wrong treating the guest like you would want to be treated.  

James A. Klamfoth
Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

I do all the recommended things, have a sheet explaining what the ratings mean and chat with them.  This year i have 28 stays, 324 nights all 5 star but then one who only stayed 4 nights, wrote a lovely review and then left 3 stars across the board. What can you do?  Nada.