Memories from Guests

Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Memories from Guests

Sometimes, when guests check out, they graciously leave something behind as a thank you, so the host will remember them—not just cleaner tips or forgotten phone chargers, but real, meaningful mementos.

In my case, one guest, who was apparently a writer, left me her book with a personal dedication inside. The book was added to the house library, and whenever I host a guest who speaks Spanish, the language of the book, I present it to them.

Another time, a super funny family who drove all the way from France left me a full kit with instructions on how to prepare the perfect mojito, including a bottle of rum and a small mint plant to grow in the garden. We planted it, and since then we’ve called it by the guest’s name.

Please share your experiences! It would be lovely to hear more about the creative and generous ways guests have said thank you beyond words.

11 Replies 11
Karlis3
Level 4
Grüt, Switzerland

@Guy991 Very nice stories! Unfortunately, nothing like it in my case. Usually I get forgotten chargers or a piece of clothes. Or an ice cream in the freezer.
Thanks for opening such a thread, it will be interesting to read later on. 🙂
Regards,
Karlis

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

There's still time @Karlis3 😊

Plus I wouldn't mind an ice cream being left - depending on the flavour! 🍦
Was it a plain vanilla or something more tasty like chocolate caramel? 😋

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Idowu-Peter0
Level 3
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates

Hi everyone, goo to hear this story but for me nothing so far because I'm still new on the platform but hopefully soon I will drop my testimony.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager

Keep going @Idowu-Peter0 😍 🎉

-----

Jose-Leonardo5
Level 2
Buenos Aires, Argentina

@Guy991What wonderful experiences! They haven't happened to me yet, but I hope they do. Personally, I try to make sure that the guest is happy and taken care of. To the best of my ability, because for 23 to 26 USD per night, which are smart prices in the area where I rent, it's difficult to have enough rent left over to take better care of them, give them gifts, or provide them with better services. But I do it to the best of my ability and they leave very happy. Thank you for sharing. The experiences you told me about were very nice

One time I was doing the dishes in my Airbnb and I couldn't find two spoons. I thought it was a bit strange for guests to take spoons. But when I was cleaning the refrigerator I opened the freezer compartment and I found my 2 spoons. It was a mystery for me why there were 2 spoons in the freezer. I thought it was some sign for a secret society 😄, so I Googled it. Mystery solved! Apparently people use those ice cold spoons to make the bags under their eyes disappear. 🧐😱

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's true @Henk66! They're the perfect shape! You'll have to let us know if you try it 😅

-----

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Guy991.,

This is such a beautiful post—thank you so much for sharing it with us! 😊

Some guests truly exhibit amazing creativity with their gifts. I’m very curious about the name of the book in Spanish that they left you. Would you mind sharing it with us?

I’m also reaching out to some of our wonderful Hosts to see if they have any fun stories about gifts left by their guests: @Karen4131@Laurelle3@Robin4@Nash-Cottages-LLC0@Shelley159@Sorcha3@Elena4354@Dee32 and @Dr-Jayanthi1 💖

Thank you for creating this fantastic topic!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Guy991 

Great post Guy, nice to see some uplifting content! Love the book story, what a nice touch. 

Things like that are what sets hosts apart.

Yeah we get a considerable numbers of gifts left by guests, not quite as personal as that one of yours but mainly wine because it's easy for the guest. This was a recent one.....

Baileys.jpg

But Guy, I look on it as a two way street, I like to remind guests that we enjoyed meeting them and having them here.

I have had a quantity of these greeting cards made up, I make a point of getting every overseas guest's postal address, and on the anniversary of every overseas guest's stay I send them one of these cards with a nice hand written 'How are you going' message inside........

IMG20201220103646.jpg

I have taken liberties using the Airbnb logo but I don't feel that is something they would object to!

Sending a personal hand written card (a rarity these days) rather than a computer generated message  rekindles the friendship and the nice part about hosting, and it has lead to a few return visits.

Cheers........Rob

Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

@Robin4 

Thank you for the kind words, Rob. I’m sure it’s heartwarming to find a bottle and note like this. It’s not just about the bottle, but the effort a guest made during their stay to show appreciation to the host.

You mentioned letters, and I have another story about guests that I will be sharing in a few days at the Festival of Hospitality 2024. I hope you’ll find the time to read it and that you will enjoy it.

Mohammed546
Level 2
Chicago, IL

She gave us a very positive 5-star recorded review with the permission to use it for marketing.