Missing towels are part of a set

Dawn95
Level 2
Three Rivers, CA

Missing towels are part of a set

I’ve been at this for 6 years and it seems most guests are very responsible but a few have a bad attitude.  We are just outside a national park and I do about 60 bookings a year in each of my two Airbnb homes.  Each house has 3 bedrooms and I place 2 full sets of matching towels in each bedroom.  So a guest skips out taking a washcloth and bath towel.  I think I should charge for 2 new sets because so I have a matching set of bath towel, hand towel and face towel for that bedroom.  Replacing part of a set isn’t really going to match.  The pisser is that guest doesn’t even ask her guests if they accidentally packed them before she responds real nasty.  “She stays at Airbnb and never has a problem” ( yes she has two reviews and I have over 400 reviews). There were several issues with this guest, a ruined set of sheets, never mentioned the 100 lb long hair dog she brought along.  Do you think charging for 2 new sets of towels is reasonable?

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Dawn95 Reasonable? - yes. Sensible? probably not. In the greater scheme of things the towels shouldn't be that expensive and it may be better to chalk up the loss to experience.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dawn95  I would advise against using "sets" of towels for exactly this reason (I learned the hard way).  Some hosts use all white, myself I prefer colors- so for me a "set" might be a wash cloth, a hand towel and 2 bath towels (2 because women with long hair usually wrap one around their hair and one for their body) in various shades, maybe even some patterns, of green. So if one piece gets ruined or goes missing, it's no big deal to replace with another that "matches". You could have as many different colors of "sets" as the number of guests your place accommodates. So one guest gets the green ones, one the blue ones, etc.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Dawn95  You can replace what she took (maybe! If ABB let’s you) but definitely not for ruining your “match”