Monkey Pox

Mark1357
Level 4
Casa de Oro-Mount Helix, CA

Monkey Pox

What are we doing about the Monkey Pox concerns? We should be addressing this ASAP? Before it gets out of control!

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/symptoms.html

23 Replies 23

@Mark1357  It's a fair question actually. Ironically, Airbnb's public response to the Covid pandemic was to force hosts to swear by an oath of hygiene theatre, even though it's long been known that surface contact and cleaning practices have virtually no impact on Covid transmission. To this day, I still see listings that declare their cleaning regime to be "Covid Safe," as though science hasn't moved an inch since February 2020. It's stupid.

Unlike Covid, Monkeypox does not primarily spread through the respiratory system and is believed to be transmissible by contact with specific surfaces - specifically soft ones (towels, linens, clothes) that have recently made direct contact with the skin of an infected person. However, there is no evidence that any risk would persist after a normal run through the washing machine. There's also no evidence that hard surfaces such as toilet seats or doorknobs are likely vectors.

The overwhelming majority of known cases come from much closer skin-to-skin contact between people; were this not the case, it's unfathomable that the current outbreak would still be concentrated almost exclusively among MSM.

So what does this mean for Airbnb hosts? Actually, it seems pretty easy. Wash all your towels and linens between guests and don't leave anything on the beds (like nasty American comforters or dumb deco pillows) that doesn't get washed. Put gloves on when stripping beds if you're concerned. Don't have sex with your guests, especially all of them at once. If you believe you're in a risk group, get yourself on the waiting list for one of those coveted MPX vaccines. 

But also, don't panic and don't discriminate needlessly against gay people. If you're renting out an Entire Home property and practicing normal hygiene, there is literally nothing you have to do to address this in your hosting routine.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Anonymous,

The CDC has provided monkeypox guidelines: Safer Sex, Social Gatherings, and Monkeypox | Monkeypox | Poxvirus | CDC, and you are spot on with your recommendation to limit the number of guests to have sex with.  We all have to do our part.

@Debra300  LOL it's called Responsible Hosting. Boink 1 guest per stay maximum. 

@Anonymous a bit of a storm in a teacup this one.74 cases in the whole of Australia and its hardly galloping .even if you wanted to get it , it would be difficult and you would probably see it coming , and going .H

I think you are more likely to get hit by lightning. Remember to wear your tin hat. Or is that dont wear your tin hat ?One or the other >H

@Helen744 At least 12 people I know in Berlin have had Monkeypox in the last few months, but nobody has been struck by lightning here for years. 

@Anonymous my brother was struck by lightning . He recovered , mostly I hope all those people did too. H

@Anonymous Sorry to seem flippant, I do see that Berlin seems to have a large outbreak of the disease . I hope as the WHO says it is self limiting. It is related to small pox and ant virals are available . Hopefully world wide it can be limited fairly quickly . H

@Helen744  The outbreak in Berlin has been a disaster, and as of yet there's no sign that it will slow down anytime soon. While fatalities are still pretty rare, it's hard to understate how agonizingly painful the symptoms can be for several weeks on end, and how dangerous a coinfection can be with other health conditions. Although a vaccine exists, the rollout has been agonizingly slow and severely undersupplied. Because the virus primarily affects a minority group, it's been far too common for people in politics and media to approach it flippantly. As bad as it's gotten in cities like Berlin and New York, I'm quite a bit more worried about the impact it will have in homophobic environments without well-funded LGBT health resources. That's going to be one of the biggest obstacles to limiting the spread. 

@Anonymous I did see a feature on a man who had it and it looked very painful.None of us need any extra disease after all we have been through over the last couple of years . The devastation of the aids /hiv epedemic was too terrible. We all lost then . Hopefully this has an end with ant virals and an education program , clear messages are important . H

It has not been specifically nominated as a 'gay disease ' here as such ,so I think some care is being taken to avoid a devastaing stigma. I can imagine in some of the US states it would act to 'out young people ' against their will ,as its fairly obvious. Now I am worried . I wish everyone who gets it can discretly and quickly get the anti virals . I am not sure that the early take up prevents the symptons or just curtails the longevity of the disease. It looks a lot like chicken pox does in older people . I am pretty sure that maybe the use of an anti viral before symptons develop would be the way to go. Stay safe . H

Like any disease , once it gets in your 'family' everyone gets it . It would be good if people could just pop down to the local covid /flu clinic and get a shot . The gay community during the aids epedemic were super hard working and got things done in the face of a disease without a cure ,at that time and research and dedication to fix things helped the world move forward a step or two . I am sure they will stop this in its tracks.H

@Helen744  There is no cure or antiviral treatment specifically for monkeypox, but three antivirals developed for other pox viruses are currently being researched for their potential effectiveness against MPX. The CDC currently recommend them only for patients with pre-existing conditions who are likely to become severely ill. None of the  people I know who are currently infected have been able to receive antiviral treatment yet, as it hasn't been fully approved for use in the general population here, so that's another hurdle.

In the 70+ countries that still criminalize homosexuality, any pursuit of treatment would currently put a patient in severe legal jeopardy as well, though it's only a matter of time before the virus jumps more broadly into the hetero community.

@Anonymous I am pretty sure that it will not be contained within  the community at all . So it becomes everyones problem . I am pretty sure here that the link back to small pox, for which there is a cure, should also mosy up the  vaccine. Small pox was eliminated mostly through out the world, a long time ago,  but an antiviral could not have been the cure as antivirals are relatively new,in the time frame.I imagine that a vaccine would be made from the pustules, much as small pox was cured by a vaccine made from cow pox.Is it a virus or a bacterium ?I am shocked that you say homosexuality is still illegal in 70 countries thru out the world . I live and in fact was born in what is now the gayest town in Australia . My mum and other family still live there .The town  has a chillout festival once a year. there is no such thing as 'the only gay in the village ' anymore . Trans young people and trans people generally are getting lots of focus thru schools at the moment and of course , sport. It is terrible to think that young trans people would be and in fact have been , bullied to such an extent that these kids are frightened to go out. I have not heard that the community is vulnerable to monkey pox as such yet but Its a waiting game here I guess but no one is asking questions in the chemist shop in Daylesford. . Not yet anyway  H