My first booking - yikes!

Answered!

My first booking - yikes!

So I have my first booking request from someone who only has 1st letter as a name. There are no reviews or anything but ID is confirmed and they've been a member since 2018. I did get an inquiry from he/she a couple of weeks ago asking if the price included tax.

So here is my response:

Hello,
Would love to have you. I see you have no references, so I hope you don't mind sharing a little more information.
I see there are 5 of you and you are from Portland. What ages are you? Are there any kids involved and if so, what ages (it helps me with the planning for your stay)?
Also, I'd like to reiterate that house rules are no smoking in the house (I provide outside designated area if needed), and everyone sleeps in a bed (the couches were not purchased as additional sleeping options). Does this work for you?
And please confirm you've read the house rules.
My goal is to ensure that you have a great stay.
Lastly, please provide an actual name. You know mine 🙂

Thoughts? 

LMAO if I were a puppy I'd be piddling. How ridiculous is that! Also, I did not get a text notifying me there was a request even though I have it checked.
1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Tamara682 

Please, please don't go into hosting believing that Airbnb will handle 'any controversy'. I hope that your journey as a host goes smoothly, you host lovely guests who leave you glowing reviews and that there are rarely any major hiccups.

However, in order to make that possible, YOU need to ensure that happens. Of course, every stay is a risk, but a successful host learns how to reduce that risk, e.g. by having a clear and accurate listing and clear house rules and ensuring the guests read all of it (again, don't just assume they will as most don't) and vetting guests to make sure they are a good fit, looking out for red flags etc.

Airbnb's verification system is far from prefect and, although I do want to see that guests are verified, it certainly doesn't weed out all the scammers and is pretty meaningless in terms of general behaviour. After all, the guest who throws a huge unauthorised party at a listing still has ID to buy the booze right? So, don't rely on that. 

The fees you pay to Airbnb are for using their platform to advertise your listing. Guests pay much higher fees than hosts and are much more likely to stop using the platform if they are unhappy about something than hosts, which is why Airbnb tends to be more guest centric when it comes to both their policies and how they handle disputes, damage claims, unauthorised refunds and retaliatory reviews.

Why do hosts stay on Airbnb? Well, because it is the biggest marketplace for STR out there. Again, that's what we are paying our fees for - the exposure. For a UK homeshare host like me, there is no viable competitor - not even close. That doesn't mean that I think Airbnb is going to 'have my back' should something go wrong. They might help, they might not. To be honest, it totally depends on the customer services rep you get on the line. Some are great, some are terrible and don't even know Airbnb policies. It's hit and miss. 

I really wish you luck on your hosting journey, but please go into it with your eyes open. It can be very rewarding (and I'm not just talking financially - it's certainly not a easy way to make money) but it can also be very challenging.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Tamara682 

At first look, your place seems great for the party.  No attached neighbors, 3 bedrooms, large living room, plenty of parking space, yard, patio, firepit... And you are a new, inexperienced host. Ideal.

The only "bad" thing is this: Host and small dog live on the upper floor with separate entrances and separate yard.

So, if I were you I would mention this fact a couple of times on the very top of your listing's description together with an outside security camera. And instead of "small dog"  I would just say "dog" or even better "loyal dog". Guests don't know, it may be a Doberman, right? 🙂

Then remove this sentence: Family and friends can visit within the boundaries and expectations of the house rules.  Don't give them an excuse for throwing a party with 100 friends.

Another thing you could do to protect yourself and your property is to require ID verification, recommendations from other hosts, and a profile picture.

Put your picture in your profile as well. If possible with your boyfriend or husband or a friend. And write a few words about you.

New hosts are often targeted by guests who intend to throw a party. As your potential guest has no reviews, no name and didn't properly introduce himself he is a risky one.

@Branka-and-Silvia0thank you so much for your insight. I thought that semi-private road (3 of us - 2 of those are estates because the neighborhood is being renovated) would not give the impression of no attached neighbors so I will have to think about how to rewrite that.
Funny about the dog, my Rottweiler died a few years ago and the small dog missed him mightily. We'll get another one eventually. They are wonderfully sweet and loyal. It's just small dogs and the barking thing you know?

I mention family and friends because the Insight data says that most bookings are from guests within 300 miles. I get that. I've lived all over this state and when I come home and am able, I want my family and friends to come visit. Beats driving 200 or 300 miles and then having to drive all over to see them beyond that. Maybe I am thinking too personally.

I know about the picture thing, believe me. I take lousy selfies and most of my friends are no better. That said, my son will be visiting soon and he'll take one I can actually post. At this time, I have no pics of myself. honestly.

Yes - it's the party thing that concerns me. This guest got back to me immediately with name and better profile. I feel better about it and am willing to give it a go. I mean we all take a chance with every booking yes? 
I expect Airbnb to handle any controversy, it's why I'm here and why they get their fees that I'm happy to pay. So far their customer service has been really great. 

Wish me luck and thank you again. I am absorbing all of your advice and it will not go to waste.

@Tamara682 I fear you will be disappointed if you believe Airbnb will handle any controversy. I firmly believe they are a listing/marketing service and don't rely on them for anything else.

Why do you stay then? It's an honest question. 

Since I joined just a few months ago, there is almost nothing positive about joining according to forums and yet same hosts are still here. I've only listed my place 2 weeks ago.

As a new member, it's really depressing to read most of these forums. At the same time, I have learned so much from hosts willing to share.

I have the same standards for Airbnb as I have for myself. Most of the posts I read imply I will fail.
I hope not

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would really upload a photo ASAP it instils trust with guests - I wouldn't book with a host who doesn't have a photo. @Tamara682 

I agree please remove references to your listing being an open house for family and friends.

if you use IB set it so only lose with previous positive reviews can IB. 

ask about what brings them to your area and why they chose your place 

@Tamara682 95% of the time posts are negative because people come here when things go wrong and they need help. My point is if you don't expect much from Airbnb except their marketing then you will not be disappointed. We will stay with Airbnb until a better option comes up or we are badly let down.

@Tamara682  We stay because Airbnb provides more volume of guests than their competitors.  That's it.  The only reason.  Everything else about Airbnb's policies, attitudes, corporate priorities are anti-host as you will eventually find out for yourself. 

If V___ ever levels up, you will see a max exodus from Airbnb by individual hosts. 

Tamara, 

The forums are primarily to problem solve as a group.  Hence the negative topics. What you write in the listing really matters. You want to filter out people who are opportunistic.  There are people who have nothing to loose and don't care.  Any indication that you aren't actively filtering could leave room for a problem person.  

Good luck

Angela 

@Angela2855 Thank you!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Tamara682 

Please, please don't go into hosting believing that Airbnb will handle 'any controversy'. I hope that your journey as a host goes smoothly, you host lovely guests who leave you glowing reviews and that there are rarely any major hiccups.

However, in order to make that possible, YOU need to ensure that happens. Of course, every stay is a risk, but a successful host learns how to reduce that risk, e.g. by having a clear and accurate listing and clear house rules and ensuring the guests read all of it (again, don't just assume they will as most don't) and vetting guests to make sure they are a good fit, looking out for red flags etc.

Airbnb's verification system is far from prefect and, although I do want to see that guests are verified, it certainly doesn't weed out all the scammers and is pretty meaningless in terms of general behaviour. After all, the guest who throws a huge unauthorised party at a listing still has ID to buy the booze right? So, don't rely on that. 

The fees you pay to Airbnb are for using their platform to advertise your listing. Guests pay much higher fees than hosts and are much more likely to stop using the platform if they are unhappy about something than hosts, which is why Airbnb tends to be more guest centric when it comes to both their policies and how they handle disputes, damage claims, unauthorised refunds and retaliatory reviews.

Why do hosts stay on Airbnb? Well, because it is the biggest marketplace for STR out there. Again, that's what we are paying our fees for - the exposure. For a UK homeshare host like me, there is no viable competitor - not even close. That doesn't mean that I think Airbnb is going to 'have my back' should something go wrong. They might help, they might not. To be honest, it totally depends on the customer services rep you get on the line. Some are great, some are terrible and don't even know Airbnb policies. It's hit and miss. 

I really wish you luck on your hosting journey, but please go into it with your eyes open. It can be very rewarding (and I'm not just talking financially - it's certainly not a easy way to make money) but it can also be very challenging.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Tamara682   Guests that come from Oregon will not have names...only initials.  This was announced by AirBnB to take effect in 2022.  There was a lawsuit where guests alleged discrimination based on their names and profile pics.  

oregon notice.jpg