My house was vandalized by guests!

Daniel7288
Level 1
Tacoma, WA

My house was vandalized by guests!

Hello, It’s first time when I am writing here ! I am devastated! I am a host on Airbnb and I had some guests last night who vandalized and destroyed my house. I have damages more than $3000. I was trying to involved Airbnb to help me in this situation but I ended up waiting hours and hours in hold and nobody really helped me ! Please, if someone can give me some advice, I don’t know what to do to recover my damages. 

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Daniel7288 you must ensure you have proof that you contacted Airbnb within 24 hours of checkout AND before the next guest checked in. You then have some hope of them paying out but you will need receipts and proof of prior condition which might be difficult. Do let us know how you get on.

Alison710
Level 1
Crassier, Switzerland

I have had the same problem with practically zero support from AirBnb

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Daniel7288 

Sorry to hear about your guests. This is the process that Airbnb gives for you making a claim for damages. To note you need to contact the guest and airbnb before your next guest check's in to lodge the claim.

Obviously photo and video evidence needs to be collected and then invoices and quotes for the actually claim can be added once you open the claim.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place?_set...

My house was just vandalized $2000-3000. by guests under a fake persona having a graduation party despite me specifically telling the guest no parties and only registered guests. I was on phone for hours w AirBnB, they cancelled their reservation. My neighborhood reputation has been damaged.  I filed a police report have photographic evidence.   They smashed hardwood chairs to pieces.  Threw glasses full of alcohol on the tile.  Stuffed my drawers and cabinets with empty beer cans. Smashed a full jar or salsa on my entry way, burned a hole in my rug, left gum stuck in another rug, knocked artwork off the walls threw all my utensils on the floors.cracked my kitchen sink, smashed a family airloom and where is AirBnB? They put some *** on the phone to apologize repeatedly and keep me waiting for an hour just to say they could t get ahold of anyone in the right department.   They left trash and glass and bottles and cans. All over my property in the yard, beer cans in my fire pit. And poured syrup all over the tile floors and grout. They left drugs in my Florida room too.  This is the 2nd time my house has been vandalized, AirBnB didn’t help at all last time, I hope this time they will.  I am installing surveillance cameras now. 

*** offensive content removed

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am so sorry to hear about this awful guests @Riccardo298 

If this is the second time it has happened, I wondering what measurements you can put in place to vet your guests more effectively? Do you have CCTV and check it on arrival/check out? Do you only accept guests with photo ID? Do you ask guests about the purpose of their trip.

However I think it is pretty poor of you to make comments like "They put some third country national on the phone to apologize repeatedly and keep me waiting for an hour just to say they could t get ahold of anyone in the right department".  

A. You can message Airbnb to report the damage you don't need to wait on the phone

B. You can look on Airbnb Help for instructions on how to put in a claim

And you should never keep valuable family heirlooms in an Airbnb. Much too risky. If it is irreplaceable it shouldn't be left in a commercial rental.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Riccardo298  Sorry this happened to you, but you ask "where is Airbnb?". I'd have to ask where you were that guests were able to cause all this damage and disturb the neighbors? And apparently not for the first time. It's up to the host to monitor what is happening on their property. That is far preferable to trying to convince Airbnb to reimburse you after the damage is already done.

@Riccardo298 

Airbnb is not responsible for the safety of your listing or to make sure guests are who they say they are and they don't have any bad intentions (like throwing an unauthorized party in someone else's home).

Unfortunately....... it's your home and your (=HOST'S) RESPONSIBILITY.