Need advice on leaving my first bad review

Daeja0
Level 2
Miami, FL

Need advice on leaving my first bad review

Hi all, 

Im fairly new to hosting and since my property is in a forest in a tiny town I’ve been blessed with decent respectful adult guests…until the 4th of July. 

I’ve been attempting to write a review about the party group of at least 6 super young guys that did some damage, and I’m not sure if this review I keep editing is too long or ok as is. 

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Here it is: 

A** booked my (4 max guests) cabin for 2 people over the holiday weekend. He had at least 6 people in his party. A** was flexible with checking in an hour later than normal to allow the cleaning crew enough time to clean between bookings. Late one night, a neighbor called & her exact words were, “your fire pit just exploded sky high & a bunch of kids are running around with floodlights”. She stayed up & kept an eye on the massive fire until it eventually went out to ensure it didn’t spread to the forest. My cleaning crew charged me an additional $100 on top of their regular fee because of the amount of time it took to clean the cabin, dry out/properly clean the soaked wood floor in bathroom and time spent attempting to salvage the fire pit. They reported to me that a few heavy wooden stump benches surrounding the fire pit were missing & the few that remained were partially burnt & charred. Since I am a fairly new remote host, I decided NOT to reach out to guest to request additional payment for the damages, extra cleaning expenses or extra guests. While I appreciate his flexibility & communication prior to stay, I do not recommend this guest to other hosts that have unchaperoned properties.

19 Replies 19

@Daeja0 Imho, a fire pit is asking for problems. 

@Kitty-and-Creek0 

we have a fire pit and we charge $50 to use it. it's a very large firepit, and it takes us a while to stack it, and to light it will take an hour, and so we make sure the guest understands its an all night commitment.(we also offer a pack of marshmallows and some extendable marshmallow sticks that i found on amazon, even though i think hunting down the perfect gum branch is so much better, meh city people be like.....)
so far we've had  a few who have wanted it but bailed on the day. we offer a very small fire pit for free in a safe space, and had a few takers for that. funny how when it comes to lighting the fire pit yourself, SO many people suddenly can't be bothered, or actually just can't light a fire! (and that is why we charge for it)

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Daeja0 

We just had a 2 night booking for a group of 4.  They seemed ok.

We met them at both check in and checkout. At checkout there was an additional vehicle they claimed was Doordash.  That is not available in our rural area.

Turns out, from both neighbours, one 60+ and the other 80+ in age, that the guests pulled all nighters, including nudity, cocaine, party.  They also attracted a local wild bear, which one of the guests wanted to pet. Of course, the place was a pig sty.

Our review and stars, 5 communication, 1 everything else.

Neutral comment that the cleaning took twice as long. Not a good fit.

Enough to warn other hosts, but not enough for Airbnb to pull the review.

Hope this example helps.

@M199 What about the party? Total rules breaker. 

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Why do you say they were super, when they caused all that damage?