Need help - can guest review if he cancels - hosts with recent experience please answer?

Answered!
Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Need help - can guest review if he cancels - hosts with recent experience please answer?

I have never had any cancellation before the last 2 weeks.

Now cancellations and cancellation requests coming in droves, no extenuating circumstances,  people just don't want to fly or travel due to the virus.

=>  If a guest cancels, can he leave a review?

- CS told me NO, he can only leave a review if he cancels after check-in time.

- Other hosts are telling me, YES, they can leave a review on all but cleanliness and this review is indeed published and factored into superhost rating.

QUESTIONS (please only answer if you are SURE and have had recent experience with this):

- Can guest who cancels before arrival day,  leave review?
- WHEN can they leave a review?  14 days after cancellation date?  14 days after normal departure date?
- Can host of cancelling guest leave a review for them?
- Surely if they can review the host, then the host should be able to review the guest. I have not gotten any review notifications for the cancelling guests.
- Do they get reminders to leave a review or do they have to seek it out themselves in their profile?

Allowing cancelling guests to leave a review puts a lot of pressure on the host to concede to additional refunds which are not warranted by the TOS or extenuating circumstances policies.

Who has experience they can share?

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Susan1188 If a guest cancels on the DAY OF ARRIVAL they will still be able to review . . . regardless of check-in time. For example, if a guest is confirmed to check-in on the date of March 4 and they cancel at 2 am on March 4th, they will still be able to leave a review. If they cancel on March 3rd they will not be able to leave a review. 

They will receive the prompt to review as any other guest would (on the afternoon/evening of their check out day.) Hosts will also receive the same prompt.

Botton line: You should not be concerned about reviews unless the guest cancels on the same calendar date as their check-in.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Susan1188 I hope you are well.

The advice you’ve been given by Airbnb CS is correct- a guest who cancels a trip before check-in time can’t leave a review.

Guests who cancel after check-in time (even if they didn’t arrive or stay) or at any point during their stay, and those who complete their stay can.

Best wishes 

Paul.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Susan1188 If a guest cancels on the DAY OF ARRIVAL they will still be able to review . . . regardless of check-in time. For example, if a guest is confirmed to check-in on the date of March 4 and they cancel at 2 am on March 4th, they will still be able to leave a review. If they cancel on March 3rd they will not be able to leave a review. 

They will receive the prompt to review as any other guest would (on the afternoon/evening of their check out day.) Hosts will also receive the same prompt.

Botton line: You should not be concerned about reviews unless the guest cancels on the same calendar date as their check-in.

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Susan1188... as @Emilia42 said, they could only review you, when they cancel on the day of check-in. However, I guess, the 14-days reviewing period starts immediately and not after their official check-out time. But anyhow, both (guest and hosts) get's the email to review the same day.