Need help with flexible cancelation policy. Airbnb refuses to answer.

Christopher995
Level 6
La Altagracia Province, Dominican Republic

Need help with flexible cancelation policy. Airbnb refuses to answer.

About 3 months ago a guest made a 2 week reservation.  This guest chose my specific condo because I have a flexible policy and he knew before arriving it was likely he would be called back to work.  He wanted all of his money back on any unused days.  This is not conjecture, he would later write this in a Whatsapp to me.  After 3 nights he cancelled and stayed a fourth night.  It was a 14 day booking.  He stayed 4 nights and checked out late.  Airbnb gave him back 10 days of money.  I had no idea he would be refunded all of his unused days so I called Airbnb to clarify the policy to me. 

When I called Airbnb to find out why he was refunded all of the money and about the policy I was told the following.  I was told that he must pay for an extra day.  If he stays for 4, he  pays for 5. Additionally the guest checked out late, entitling me to a second extra day.  This late checkout was documented by the guest on Whatsapp.  So after finding out the exact policy I submitted a resolution center request for 2 additional days.  He paid for 4 nights and stayed 4 nights.  Airbnb resolution center denied my request for any extra money, even after I submitted the proof of the actual late checkout time.  In addition to all of this, the guest admitted on Whatapp he owed the money, but then refused to pay.

So I asked to speak to an Airbnb supervisor so that they could explain to me, what I am missing.  That was on May 27 which was 59 days ago.   I have sent at least 6 requests by email to speak to a supervisor.  Nobody at Airbnb can call or write an explanation to me.

Why can't Airbnb ask a supervisor to review this situation and explain to me what I am missing or approve my resolution request after 2 months of asking?

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Christopher995 

It seems to me this is also a fault on your side.

The guest cancels after 3 nights, so has to leave and will be refunded 10 nights (pays 3 nights + 1 extra night according to the policy). So why did you let the guest stay the 4th night and why did you granted a late check-out ?

So afterwards you charged the guest 2 extra nights, but he refuses to pay.

Airbnb can not do anything for you, as the refunding has finished and can not be reverted.

Next time be sure the guest is leaving in time after cancelling a reservation.

You can mention the "overstay"  behaviour in the review.

Christopher995
Level 6

I did not grant him the extra time and I didn't permit the late checkout.  Read the part of my post where I said HE AGREED TO PAY THE EXRA.   He cancelled on the morning after the 3rd night, told me when his flight was and that he was staying another night.  This is all documented on whatsapp and provided to Airbnb.  Dont assume I did something wrong. 

I did mention the overstay and somehow he got the review removed also.

@Christopher995 “This is all documented on whatsapp.”

Airbnb won’t look at or take into consideration any communication off the platform. Always stay within Airbnb when communicating with guests. Airbnb is able to see those communications. 

Christopher995
Level 6

They have in the past.  Additionally I provided an unedited video of the entire conversation.  However your comments still do not address the fact the guest stayed 4 nights, paid for 4 nights, checked out late and I am just asking or clarification of the policy.  Was I entitled to a 5th day plus an extra day for the late check out.  Facts are facts and policy is policy.  All I am asking is, was the policy followed?

@Christopher995 You said “He cancelled on the morning after the 3rd night, told me when his flight was and that he was staying another night.” At the point in time the booking was cancelled, the guest was refunded, and was supposed to vacate immediately. So, the refund was processed accordingly. That’s why you got paid for 4 nights. Why did you let the guest stay on, after he cancelled his booking? 

Christopher995
Level 6

Here is exactly what he wrote.  "Good Morning Christopher, I called to Airbnb and they recommended me NOT to make any payment in cash! So you can send me your request again. I gonna be leave a bit later, so please do not cleaning until I’m still here, if I already payed that. Otherwise make a request for just one day and I’ll leave at 12:00"

Then he left the condo before I got over there so he wouldnt have to pay.  Do you get that Colleen?

Christopher995
Level 6

OK,,But he didnt vacate immediately, and that IS A FACT.  He agreed in writing to pay an extra day.  So you would tell me to throw him out on the street?  That doesn't like something a Superhost should or even could do.  I let him stay because he agreed in writing to pay me for the day.  Why is that hard to understand?  He agreed to pay, and AFTER he left, he refused to pay.  Thats the point of the Resolution Center.  TO BE FAIR.  Even if he didnt agree in writing, I cant call the police and have him thrown out.

@Christopher995 The guest repayed you for your consideration of him by taking advantage of you. That's unfortunate. You are in business. You gave a customer a product before they paid for it. You got burned. It remains that the guest was refunded correctly, according to when he cancelled. 

Christopher995
Level 6

Here is what he wrote:

[12:01 PM, 5/19/2021] Yan Airbnb: I‘ll give you 100 € is that ok? I though it’s only about tomorrow. But I want to make everything correctly
[12:01 PM, 5/19/2021] Chris: I will stilll be over at 3pm tomorrow to take you to the airport,,no worries
[12:02 PM, 5/19/2021] Chris: yes thats fine and I can cancel the reesolution center request

No, again you do not understand.  So let me help you out a little more about what is unfortunate.  I was a police officer for 17 years, so I understand what a scam is.  In a scam, the suspect (in this case the guest) lies and knows the policies in order to pull his scam and steal from an honest host.   So what is unfortunate is that Airbnb will not have a supervisor review this matter. What is more unfortunate is that Airbnb will not contact me to explain why the resolution center made its decision in violation of policy. What is unfortunate is someone like yourself taking the side of the guest and making excuses for his bad behavior. What is unfortunate is that Airbnb reviewed and removed the 100% accurate review that I left for him so that other hosts are now unaware of the scam that he pulls if he needs to leave in the middle of a reservation.  

What is unfortunate is that you think it is some how okay that I got burned by this scam.  The purpose of the resolution center is to make sure that guests and hosts do not get burned by unethical behavior.  You should consider that when you write how unfortunate it was for me and that I just got burned and should accept it.  Those are the things that are unfortunate.