Never Use Airbnb — Hosts Will Leave You High and Dry

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Never Use Airbnb — Hosts Will Leave You High and Dry

I booked a private room with Airbnb for accommodation in Dubai for five nights. I paid for this in advance. Upon reaching Dubai, the Airbnb host told me that he could no longer accommodate me. He provided me a different address and asked me to go and stay there for two nights and he would shift me to original booking place after that.

Upon reaching the other address, I found that the flat was locked and no one was there. I had to ask reception for help to contact the Airbnb host as my phone was not working there. Upon contact the host he said he couldn’t accommodate me at the new address either. He did not provide any explanation and left me without a roof over my head in an unknown city. I was left to sort out my own accommodation with limited internet connectivity and battery life left on my phone.

In this situation I had to take whatever was available. I ended up staying in a hostel sharing a room with five unknown people and also sharing other facilities. Airbnb put me in this situation as they failed to fulfil their responsibility. My safety was at risk. My health was at risk as I had to share things with five other people for five nights. I could not get proper sleep.

The entire experience not only totally ruined my trip but also left me in distress and with negative effects on my mental well being. I was constantly anxious and worried about my health and safely due to the pandemic. I informed Airbnb about this incident the evening of Dec. 30. I received a call and provided all the information to customer service. They said they were unable to contact their own host to find out why he could not accommodate me. They also did not offer me any help to find an alternative suitable accommodation.

The entire trip turned into a nightmare. Airbnb staff were totally unhelpful. They could not even contact their own host after I provided a different number that he was using. Airbnb neither provided any immediate help or help to find alternative accommodation. On top of that, they also closed my case without reaching any conclusion. This company should not be allowed to operate in the hospitality sector at all.

Apparently Airbnb is unregulated company .  When you book accommodation your contact is with host and not with Airbnb.  They would put their hands up if things go wrong.  You are putting your self in danger by trusting a total stranger. You are better off staying in a hotel. 

55 Replies 55

@Colleen253  Yes and no.  We have certainly seen on here that baseless accusations of hidden cameras and/or discrimination or other false and unsubstantiated claims have resulted in innocent hosts being 1) banned, 2) listing paused or 3) 'officially warned'...so it would seem only reasonable that a host who leaves a guest totally on the street in a foreign country should see some negative consequences.  And while we don't know for sure if there were/were not any, it doesn't sound like there was any ban/pause or even a notice that the host cancelled, which in reality is what happened. 

@Mark116  It's possible that the host was penalized in some other way. One screwup doesn't necessarily mean the host gets banned.

But I've come across a few listings that were obviously fake or criminal in nature (including one that was an obvious sex-trafficking operation another that had a "no Jews" policy) and it's taken some weeks before they got removed. They probably have a huge backlog of flagged listings to investigate, but with reduced support staff to process them since their mass layoff.

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Colleen253  There were two reviews . Which were more like one liner. 

I did speak to the host via airbnb to find out about location and all. So it seemed fine and that's why I booked. If I had any indicating that it was an unreliable person I would have not booked. 

Well I learned my lesson. 

With regards to investigation ,  How airbnb would investigate when they cant even get in touch with the guy. I provided them alternative number that host was using but they still saying they cant get in touch .  Airbnb have no staff in UAE.  So there is no investigation happening. 

Investigation is a farce. The entire business model is a farce. 

Its all about taking share from the booking and take no responsibility 

It’s just the nature of a platform such as this that what goes on is never black and white. It’s every shade in between. Airbnb isn’t only pure evil, as you’re painting it, nor is it always sunshine and roses. Neither will ALL “hosts leave you high and dry.”, as you’ve demonstrated, with your alternative experience with the other stay. The hosts here are just trying to help you see that. You are determined to only see it in one color, so that’s fine, but really not sure what the point of your post is. Move on, only book hotels from now on. 

@Anand191 

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Colleen253   point of my post it to share my experience. May be it will help some one , may be it wont.  And also I just realised that you are also an airbnb host so obviously you will be defending the company as you have your interest attached to it . 

@Anand191  No one here is defending Airbnb's bad customer service. Most of us have experienced it on some level and it's a constant complaint on this forum. 

Those of us who continue to use the platform in spite of that, because the benefits outweigh the risks ( i.e. most guests are fine, most hosts are fine) be we hosts or guests, just try to make the best of it and realistically don't assume that we can look to the company to bail us out if things go sideways.  It's always best to have a Plan B.

You might be interested to know that hosts have reported guests who trashed their property, or snuck in 10 extra people, or a dog that defecated inside and chewed things up, and Airbnb still doesn't remove that guest from the platform, meaning they are free to book more places and do the same thing to another host.

And Airbnb's customer service is wildly inconsistent. You can get a rep who is a clueless robot, who doesn't even know Airbnb policies and makes bad decisions, or luck out and get a competent, understanding one, you never know.

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah977   I never said guest shouldn't be removed as well. 

I don't see what benefit it could be for host and guest if there are going to be issues from both side . 

If Airbnb customer service is inconsistent than whose fault is that ?  Why should a individual face all this troubles if they cant even provide the most basic assurance to the customer. 

I don't see any benefit of using such platform . Why any one should trust a stranger and go all the way to a different country to stay in  strangers place when there is no guarantee of any thing.  

At least I wouldn't next time . I would rather spend a bit more on hotel  and get peace of mind . 

@Anand191  "I don't see any benefit of using such platform . Why any one should trust a stranger and go all the way to a different country to stay in  strangers place when there is no guarantee of any thing."

Because your experience is the exception, rather than the norm. And there really aren't any guarantees in life that everything will go smoothly all the time.

You could go to my review page, or that of any other host who has responded to you here, and see why our guests have chosen to use Airbnb and the many reasons they found their stays to be a positive, memorable experience.

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah977  Well I am happy for you . But you are also biased as you are host on airbnb. So you have your interest attached to the company and that's why you are defending it . And you are right in doing so . 

I also chose the accommodation looking at review and after  communication with host. So not every thing is what it seems. 

And may be not important for you but And what did airbnb do to help me in this situation ? 

They did nothing . I was not offered any alternative accommodation . All I was told is that they couldn't get in touch with host so cant do any thing.  They have no responsibility . And it just shows they have no moral responsibility either . 

@Anand191 No, I am not defending Airbnb's poor customer service, which is what you have been harping about. I post quite critical things about Airbnb here quite often. You seem to have your own, faulty interpretation of many of the responses you have received.

Here is a private message I received from a guest after his stay- "That was one of the best Airbnb stays I've had. You wouldn't believe some of the crap some hosts list and actually charge money for."

So there's an example of a guest, who in spite of having some less than charming accommodations or hosts, continues to use Airbnb because it works for his budget, some stays are fine, or even great, and he is a realistic traveler who understands that there will sometimes be disappointing, or inconvenient experiences.

Unless one is wealthy and can afford to stay in 5* hotels wherever and whenever they travel, veteran travelers know that adaptability, not having overly high expectations, and having a Plan B is the key to angst-reducing travel.

That is why many people continue to use Airbnb despite having the occasional bad experience or having to deal with the company's inexusably poor customer service.

Nothing I have said here has anything to do with "biased because you're a host". In fact, if there were a different platform that was viable for me to list on, I would. And I certainly wouldn't defend the atrocious behavior of your host.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Anand191,

Just because many of us are hosts does not mean that we are biased on behalf of Airbnb.  If you read the posts of the majority of the hosts who responded to your thread, you will find that we frequently and voraciously make comments against the platform and its policies.

Not a single person in this thread said that Airbnb's lack of support for your situation was appropriate.  Most of us have been left hanging by them waiting for a response or assistance to an urgent matter.  

I am not happy at all that you had to endure that situation, but do appreciate that you shared your experience.  These are some of my lessons learned that I will highlight:

1. Always purchase travel insurance (or use a credit that provides that type of coverage) whenever traveling somewhere that is unfamiliar; international; involves staying at a paid accommodation; involves paid transportation; or, includes rental services.
  2. Prior to traveling ensure that your mobile phone will work while en-route and at your final destination.  Carry portable battery chargers so your phone won't die.
  3. Don't agree to stay in an alternate space if it is located in location other than your reserved space.  Contact the booking platform, and request to cancel the reservation due to the space not being accessible.
  4. Right before starting to travel, identify a few backup spaces that show as available on multiple booking platforms, and bookmark them so they can be quickly found, if necessary. 
  5. Don't leave home without having the ability to pay for 3 nights of alternate accommodations.

@Debra300  Great "Travelling 101" list.

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Debra300 Hi Debra. I appreciate your tips and will keep some in mind for next time . 

If I was in their place may be I would defend airbnb as well as my interest would be attached with company. 

But I have a question , What is Airbnb's responsibility ?  

Any reputed hotel would have provided alternative accommodation if thing were going wrong. Even airlines do that . They are suppose to look after their customers . That's what hospitality business is about . isn't it ? 

Hotels and Airlines have clear rules and guidelines . They have to follow them . Health and safety , security etc. 

What guidelines does Airbnb follow ? Answer is none NONE. 

That's why they could get away just by telling me that they are not able to contact host and they cant do any thing . 

They have a free hand . There are no clear rules or guideline that Airbnb need to follow in situation when things goes wrong . That is how they have structured their business so they can get away with minimum responsibility 

As a host you may end up picking up the bill and trouble and as a guest I may .

But none of it will affect Airbnb. 

@Anand191  You are quite corrrect that Airbnb makes its own rules and isn't really answerable to anyone but the court of public opinion, although they have, in fact, been taken to task by various jurisdictions and forced to comply with some regulations.

There is a difference though, between Airbnb and airlines or hotels, in that Airbnb does not own any inventory, they are simply an online middleman. So if Airbnb tries to contact a host who refuses to answer their calls or messages, there's not much they can do about that but flag the listing for further investigation. They don't have field agents to go bang on the guy's door.

Airlines and hotels own their inventory and there isn't a middleman. An airline that overbooks a flight has the autonomy to ask which travelers would be willing to give up their seat in exchange for a first class upgrade the following day, and has agreements with other airlines so that there might be another flight they can shift you to which leaves in 15 minutes. 

Airbnb definitely has the attitude that they can afford to lose some hosts and some guests, because there will always be more to take their place. Which is a really bad attitude. It wasn't always like this. Customer service used to be really helpful and did whatever they could to solve issues for both hosts and guests. Their staff was knowledgable. But the company grew too big, got arrogant, now outsources their customer service, and that's what users are now forced to deal with. 

But ultimately, it's just an online service that connects hosts and guests.

None of this means that customers shouldn't lodge complaints when they are dealt with poorly, they certainly should. But none of us can force them to listen and change their ways.

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah977  Hi Sarah , I understand Airbnb is just an online middle man .  But that doest mean they can get off they hook just my telling me that they are not able to contact the host and there is nothing they can do . 

And also the listing is still online and I am sure Airbnb is making money out of that listing. Why would they keep that listing online after a month still when they cant even contact the host. 

If company grew too big or outsource or whatever their problem is they are suppose to provide the basic service for which I paid.  And that why I say that because of individual business interest people fail to come together and force this big companies to change their business practice . And only companies like Airbnb wins  and nothing changes.  We are all happy as long as our individual interests are served .