Never more trust and safety

Marco3315
Level 1
Paphos, Cyprus

Never more trust and safety

I travel for work and use Airbnb extensively, as a five star guest. The first time I had troubles during a reservation, I thought I could rely on Airbnb support. I was wrong.

I had to book a bed for a month in a shared room of a Hostel with good reviews, where I found a selection of the wildest human beings, one of them being the receptionist, who got totally crazy and drunk, and started to raid the Hostel roaring and shouting, attacking girls in the shower and slamming and crashing everything in the kitchen for a couple of hours, with the guests terrified repairing in the rooms.

It was then that I tried to ask Airbnb for urgent help.

No answer for 3 days.

Until sent a feedback  threatening to sue them. Magically the morning after they called me.

First, they made me discover by the staff that I had called Airbnb, then the trust and safety guy, who seemed to understand the situation perfectly, promised I would be refunded if I checked out.

I understood they would pay me the new reservation for the same dates, and I made a booking that was more expensive because with few alternatives. Then I read his follow up email and I understand they would just refund me the money of the current one, so I decide to cancel the new reservation immediately.

In that moment I got a call from an other girl of the safety team, maybe not aware of my previous interaction. She advises not to cancel the new reservation and that she will call in one hour after taking informations. She didn't. She sent me an email saying I had to provide informations in order to make an investigation in order to issue the refund. I answer that they already wrote me by mail the refund was sure. She says her supervisor said the refund will be done. But she send me another email saying thst before I had to provide detailed informations about facts, names even documentation and proves. 

Meanwhile I cancel the new reservation, but I lose money for the Airbnb fees and first night. As it was a misunderstanding with them, I ask if at least they could wave me the fees. No. 

Result: I came back to the Hostel, where they know I complained to Airbnb, and I stay here at my own risk. I lost a lot of money and still I am waiting for the refund of my cancellation, that I don't know why can take 15 business days, while I can send money through my bank in seconds.

And this all thanks to the trust, health and safety Airbnb team.

Never more.

2 Replies 2
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Marco3315 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience - that sounds really stressful.

Did you get things sorted out with Airbnb?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Marco3315
Level 1
Paphos, Cyprus

It really depends who you find on the other side. The person who was dealing with my case did seem to ignore me, and when things got worse and I had to literally escape from the property, she disappeared. After trying to reach out any other agents I realised, through many support messages and feedbacks, to get a refund (that anyway is still not in my account after a week). I didn't get any rebooking assistance, and when I felt the responsibility to review my host, the result was that the host published fake review and reply, blaming me for everything they did. I made an investigation on my own and I sent to Airbnb various recent reviews of that host on booking.com that reported the same identical issues and event that I had, but of course they didn't cancel the review, because lies don't break any Airbnb violation policy. The problem is that Airbnb staff have a hard work sometimes, but the low quality of the hiring process doesn't help to improve the company, despite you can always find somebody with decent skills and good will, if you knock enough doors...