New Guest coming back to US and need to go for 14-day quarantine

New Guest coming back to US and need to go for 14-day quarantine

Hi guys, 

We have a new inquiry today for a 23 year old guest the will be going back to Naperville. They said that the person going back home from International flight needs to be quarantine for 14-days and that their home is not big enough to do it.

They want to book our 3-bedroom house for 1 guest for the 14-day quarantine. We are not comfortable doing this. We are afraid that we will get penalty or our acceptance rate will be affected if we choose to decline the the reservation. Can you please give us any advice? Thank you very much.

6 Replies 6
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Arthur-Joseph0  did you get an inquiry or a booking request? 

You can decline a request that you are not comfortable with. I don't understand why they would need a certain amount of space for quarantine? 

Hi Laura,

It is a booking request. I called Airbnb and they said that I won't get any penalty or anything.

I agree. And also, only 1 guest for a 3 Bedroom house. We will not know how they will use our home and it will be very difficult to disinfect.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Arthur-Joseph0 

I think they must have misunderstood the quarantine concept or mixed up quarantine with isolation. Only those infected need to go into isolation. In quarantine they are only required to stay indoors for 14 days and not interact with public or go to work.

@Marit-Anne0 I don't know if there is something here that doesn't translate the same , but people are being told to self-isolate to prevent the spread of the virus, not just because they are infected. Many countries are requiring returning citizens to self-isolate for 14 days after entry to the country to make sure they do't develop symptoms.

Quarantine is what is done when someone IS infected or it is mandated, like pets arriving into certain countries are kept in quarantine for 2 weeks to make sure they are healthy.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Arthur-Joseph0 I’m happy to host this guest. You can send them my way.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Sarah977   I am using the terms as per our health authorities, assuming those were global.

From the CDC  https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/index.html

Isolation separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick.

Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick.