New Superhost requirement of 100 nights minimum

Clare43
Level 2
Priors Marston, GB

New Superhost requirement of 100 nights minimum

I have just seen that the new minimum requirement for a Superhost is 100 nights. This is insane and to my mind contrary to the Airbnb ethos. We have been Superhosts since we initially qualified 3 years ago. However we only rent our house out at weekends and not every weekend. On average we rent out 60 nights a year and no way will we ever do 100.  So this massively favours commercial (and often characterless) lets rather than people's homes.

If they persist with the 100 night per annum plan we will lose our Superhost status despite having 0% cancellations an 4.9 rating. 

I'm sure loads of fantastic Superhosts will lose their superhost status and this seems so unfair.

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Clare43 ,

Where did you see this?

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Clare43 

I've just checked my performance and see the following:

Stays hosted
10 completed stays in the past year
- or -
100 nights over at least 3 completed stays

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Clare43 @Mike-And-Jane0 

This is a misunderstanding. It is 10 completed stays OR 100 nights over three stays. As long as you host 10 reservations within the year, you will maintain your Superhost status.

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 8.09.08 AM.png

Sorry @Emilia42 - didn't realise you'd already posted that, when I was posting mine below 🙂

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Clare43 @Mike-And-Jane0 

These are the current requirements to become a superhost. 

• Completed at least 10 trips OR completed 3 reservations that total at least 100 nights
  • Maintained a 90% response rate or higher
  • Maintained a 1% percent cancellation rate (1 cancellation per 100 reservations) or lower, with exceptions made for those that fall under our Extenuating Circumstances policy
  • Maintained a 4.8 overall rating (this rating looks at the past 365 days of reviews, based on the date the guest left a review, not the date the guest checked out)

The 100 night requirement really only applies to hosts who take longer-term bookings. In reality, any host can become a "superhost" in the space of less than a fortnight (and many do), by hosting just 10 single night bookings. Which makes a complete mockery of Airbnb's claims that "superhosts are experienced hosts who provide a shining example for other hosts, and extraordinary experiences for their guests". But that's how it is. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sounds like you have misread it @Clare43 

This is not new. Airbnb changed the requirement last year.

If you are still booking 10 trips you will be fine.

Jon194
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

I have a problem with the 100-night minimum, as I have a 5-day minimum (was 7-day until recently) and many guests who stay for a full month.  I also list on Airbnb for only 4-5 months each year.  For the first time in years, I probably won't make Superhost this quarter, even though I  had 2 guests for a total 44 nights in the past 2 months alone.   By contrast, those who accept 1, 2, or 3 night stays can easily exceed 10 stays with only 30-40 nights total.  Clearly, the 100-bight minimum for Superhost discriminates against hosts with many long-term guests.  

Airbnb should be overjoyed to get their 13-17% in guest+host fees when I have a guest who stays for a full month.  Instead, I'm being penalized for this by the Superhpst formula. To think that some exec paid well in the 6-figures, plus stock options, sits their corner office with a great view of San Francisco and doesn't understand this...it's shameful.

@Jon194 , Jon if you have had 44 nights in two months ,then over a year , you will have 100 nights . Superhost is calculated every three months but taken over the entire preceding year. H

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jon194 

I host only long term guests and it's not difficult to wrack up 3 stays = 100 nights over a year. @Helen3 is correct, in that, even though the assessment is done quarterly, each time it assesses the previous year. So, you don't need 100 nights in the past three months.

The only time I got close to not meeting the minimum was due to COVID and lockdowns and other restrictions. Even then, I just about managed. Without those restrictions, it's not that difficult at all. The only hindrance that I can see presently is the Summer Release meaning a lot of hosts are getting far fewer bookings than before. I am still meeting the minimum number of stays/nights criteria, but as I am also accepting direct bookings (not really getting any from Airbnb now except for repeat guests), those will not count.