New guests without reviews

Dennise-Ann0
Level 4
Twain Harte, CA

New guests without reviews

I have had increasing problems with guests without reviews.   More than half now are new and with no reviews and of those more than half have been bad to really awful.

One guest book a weekend and the amount of trash generated was more than my family creates in a month.  We live remotely in a forest and have to haul all trash to the transfer station over 20 miles away.

Another booked for 4, but by the time the 3 day weekend was over she had 7 adults and 2 infants.  The cabin at most sleeps 6 and I charge for extra guests over 4.  I did charge her for the extra adults but not the infants.   Besides not having extra beds the cabin is on a septic system and I worry that it could be overloaded with too many people.

The most recent guest did not read any of the cabin rules and was very messy.  There were 4 and over two days had managed to use every towel.  The kitchen sink was full of dirty pots and pans, the stove had burn food, and a dirty cup was in the cupboard.  There were blankets on the deck.  Pillows used without cases.  I arrived to clean and found the front door open with a neighbor cat inside.  I was lucky it wasn't a bear.  It has taken the better part of two days to clean and I am not done washing the linen. 

Can I refuse to rent to guests without a review?

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dennise-Ann0 If you have instant book on then you can require guests to have reviews (tick host recommendation required) . If you do not have IB enabled you can check people as they apply.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

In addition to @Mike-And-Jane0's suggestion, @Dennise-Ann0 (which forces guests without reviews to message you with a request to book, thus giving you the opportunity to set boundaries and get more information from them), I would remove the note about the pull-out sofa in the first paragraph of your description, and charge $25 per guest per night for more than 4 guests.

Amazing place you have!