New to the Community Center? Introduce yourself here โ€Œ๐Ÿ‘‡

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

New to the Community Center? Introduce yourself here โ€Œ๐Ÿ‘‡

Hello everyone! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Welcome to the Community Center! ๐Ÿ‘‹  I'm @Bhumika , one of the Community Managers for our English Community Center along with my lovely team members @Quincy @Paula @Rebecca  and @Elisa  and we are thrilled to have you join us.

Let's kickstart this thread with a little about us Community Managers:

@Quincy : I'm from the Netherlands ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ I have been on the Community Center for 6+ years, and have been an Airbnb Host myself. I love cycling๐Ÿšฒ, playing footballโšฝ, and travelling๐ŸŒ . I love how dynamic and diverse the Community Center is as we meet Hosts from all around the globe. 

@Bhumika ๐ŸŒ I was born in Gujarat, India ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ณ , and shifted to Toronto, Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ last year! ๐Ÿ“ท I recently realized my love for photography and aesthetics. I love to capture mundane life and candid pictures. ๐ŸŒ† When I'm not working, you'll find me binge-watching thriller movies or exploring history.

@Paula : I am from Colombia ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ด and currently living in British Columbia, Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ. I have a passion for Latin American culture (I love to dance ๐Ÿ’ƒ) . I've had the opportunity to visit around 20 countries ๐ŸŒŽ and plan to visit many more. In my free time, I enjoy outdoor activities, especially mountain biking ๐Ÿšฒ and hiking ๐Ÿ”.

@Rebecca : I'm from Cardiff in Wales originally but being a military child and a veterans spouse, I've travelled and lived in a lot of different places in the UK and Europe. I'm an environmentalist ๐ŸŒฟ and like to minimise my impact on the planet ๐ŸŒŽ as well as volunteering in my local community.  I love sea swimming ๐ŸŒŠ yoga on the beach ๐Ÿง˜โ€ and I'm a children's yoga instructor too! ๐Ÿ™Œ 

@Elisa : I was born in Italy ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น and as a lover of unique experiencesโ€”from exploring the streets of Rome๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น , Paris ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท, and Toronto ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ to appreciating timeless art and cuisineโ€”I'm here to blend the old with the new. 

Now it's your turn! Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from? And is there something special about the location of your accommodation that you'd like to share?

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Warm regards,

Bhumika

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

3,620 Replies 3,620
Ruth1536
Level 1
Covington, KY

I'm Ruth Hill. I live in Northern Kentucky, just south of Cincinnati, OH. I have been hosting since August of 2018. Before that, we had exchange students and other mid-term guests who needed a temporary place to stay. We started because my husband lost his job and we needed extra income to pay our bills. 

Once the children all moved out I started fixing up the house to make it friendly for guests in anticipation of my daughter's wedding. We hosted family for a few days and realized we had a 5-bedroom home with no guests. I suggested AirBNB and we have been successful. 

Since then, my husband had me take over his crash pads in Detroit, and we purchased 2 more condos and a house. We enjoy most of the guests we host. There are also some very difficult  situations we have faced and AirBNB has been a great support. 95 - 99% of our guests are wonderful and grateful we offer an inexpensive, yet safe alternative to a cheap hotel.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Ruth1536

Thank you so much for sharing your introduction and part of your Airbnb journey!

What has been the most challenging situation youโ€™ve faced over the years?

Please feel free to start a ๐Ÿ‘‰New conversation here to share ideas, tips, or ask questions to our experienced Hosts.

Regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

I always hate having to deny people, but I do just to maintain a safe listing. Last week I had two situations which upset me greatly. AirBNB was a huge help.

One was a young lady who reserved for 1 in my home. I have a no pets rule because I have two cats. I realize that service animals are allowable but they are to stay with their owners and do not bark at all.

This lady showed up with three dogs, a cage, and her boyfriend. She also asked to come early. I was busy in town 20 minutes away but I was concerned about this reservation so I looked at my Ring doorbell camera and saw them bring these into the home. I hurried home and when I arrived there was barking. I had already called AirBNB (took me 20 minutes to connect) and they assisted me in removing them from the property. This is a shared property as we rent 4 bedrooms. Some of my guests get up early and some arrive late. The last thing I needed was dogs barking as people came and went. They stole some of my food, caused me to have to clean the room again, and they got a full refund, despite they had already moved in. I will probably file a claim, but that was very distressing.

The next day, I had a young man reserve for himself for a small bedroom at another property. He then proceeded to ask if he could move in 3 hours early and I informed him it would be extra. He opted to not. He also asked if his co-workers could share the room with him. This is a very small room with a full size bed and very little floor space. I again said no. I offered the other room that slept 2, as an additional rental, and he never made the reservation.

The next day I was cleaning a room at this house at 9 am and he knocked on my door asking me if he had to wait until 4 pm. I said yes. He left. He then returned and knocked and said he needed a place closer to Cincinnati (he took a Lyft all the way to my address so he knew how far it was) where he worked. He asked if he could cancel and get a refund. I said yes, relieved he would not be staying. I then walked out to the driveway which is rather long and looked out to the street and saw 5 of them waiting for a Lyft to return to Cincinnati. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had let them in. Thankfully AirBNB canceled the reservation for me without penalty. This was very frightening. 

These difficult situations live with me for days and take time to get over. I worry about what their review of me will be as they are hard to remove. I worry if they will come back and break in to my house. 

I feel terrible that these upset me so, as the majority of my guests are wonderful. Every guest who requests is a potential nightmare and you just never know. The hardest part of hosting is having the wisdom to know who to decline. This is why host reviews are so important.

Ruth1536
Level 1
Covington, KY

My Name is Ruth Hill. I live in Northern Kentucky, just across the river from Cincinnati, OH. We have been hosting on AirBNB since 2018. We have been hosting mid-term guests for over 20 years. It started not long after we moved into our house and my husband lost his job during 9/11 (he is a pilot). 

When my children moved out, I decided to remodel the bedrooms and bathroom for guests for my daughter's wedding. After they visited 3 - 4 days, I realized we had a 5 bedroom house with no guests. I suggested AirBNB to my husband and we jumped in. 

We have learned so much over the years and AirBNB has been a valuable resource in assisting us in hosting so many guests over the years. I love hosting and creating a place that people want to stay.

Stephanie3351
Level 2
Derwood, MD

Hi Everyone! My name is Stephanie. I am from Maryland and currently co-host a property. It went through some rough reviews when the hosts initially managed it, but I took it over and it gets nothing but 5 stars now! It is now a Superhost location and building its reputation back up. Hoping to share my specialty of good reviews and better service to others! 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Stephanie3351it is absolutely great to have you here.

I would like to invite you to share some tips with our wonderful community by starting a ๐Ÿ‘‰New conversation here.

I am sure your expertise will greatly benefit many new Hosts ๐Ÿ˜Š

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Devin230
Level 2
Colorado, United States

Hello everyone! I am based in Denver, Colorado - my main book of business is in the mountains of Colorado, but also work in Missouri, Florida, and Mexico!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Devin230, welcome to our amazing community ๐Ÿ˜Š

I love Colorado! I had the opportunity to live in Boulder and I absolutely enjoyed the sunny days. Plus, the mountains are incredible for hiking or biking.

How has your experience with Airbnb been so far? Please feel free to start a ๐Ÿ‘‰New conversation here to share ideas, tips, or ask questions to our experienced Hosts.

-----

Michael9376
Level 2
Patterson, NY

Hello everyone! Mike T. From the Hudson Valley New York ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ. Been hosting for a couple years & really enjoying this opportunity. Iโ€™m a huge Hiker, I love 3d design, podcasts and Audible books! I remember them announcing their co-host opportunity on platform a while back, so when I heard that it was officially launching I wanted to sign up right away. Happy to be listed today! Looking forward to my next listing adventure. 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Michael9376,  Congratulations on your co-hosting project! I wish you all the best as you embark on this journey.

Are you planning to co-host remotely or in person?

Keep us updated!

Best,

-----

Thank you so much! @Paula 

I was under the impression that co-host opportunities through the platform had maximum distance of 60 miles? Ideally Iโ€™d like to be able to show up in person within an hour. Open to both options however. 

Blake327
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Hi everyone! I'm from Dallas, Texas but I manage 3 cabins in Broken Bow, Oklahoma. My wife and I loved Broken Bow before ever owning property there. We hope to continue to expand over time while still enjoying the hiking, breweries, and local food ourselves!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Blake327, thank you so much for your introduction! ๐Ÿ˜Š

How long have you been a host? How much time did it take you to achieve Superhost status? Congratulations on that!

I look forward to reading more of your contributions to our community.

-----

I started with one cabin in August 2022. I managed to buy another one in 2023 and then around that time I also picked up my first client. Thankfully, I was able to achieve Superhost during my first review period for it, which I was very excited about!

Roger1113
Level 1
Bremerton, WA

Greetings from Seattle, WA!

My name is Roger Ohara and Iโ€™ve been hosting in Scottsdale Arizona for 4 years. I play alot of golf and enjoy the outdoors.โ˜€๏ธโ›ณ๏ธ