Nice back to Strict or stay on Moderate?

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

Nice back to Strict or stay on Moderate?

Over the last couple of weeks I ‘ve had a couple of folks cancelling some chunky, high value summer bookings that have been in the diary for 6 months plus. 

My suspicions are that folks are looking at more non domestic/warmer stays now that restrictions are easing somewhat. 

For years I’d been on a Strict Cancellation Policy but moved to Moderate to offer more attractive flexibility during the last couple of years.   But what to do now - what are your thoughts? 

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Amanda660 Strict for us - we changed to flexible during lockdown but as Covid is over in the UK (according to a Prime Minister desperately trying to keep his job even after lying to Parliament) but its just too easy for guests to cancel.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0  I think I need to get back to Strict too. The guests who are coming through on Booking dot com are choosing the no cancellations option so there are still some serious bookers out there. 😉

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Amanda660 

There is also one in between: firm

added: Choose-the-right-cancellation-policy-for-you

Hilary79
Level 8
Spokane, WA

Go back to Strict.  People who have the intention of keeping their reservation won't mind.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Amanda660,

Many of the bookings I receive occur within 30 days of arrival so I changed from Strict to Firm, and think that I will stick with it.  To me it offers a good balance of making guests accountable for their reservations yet still offers them some flexibility.  

Firm
  • To receive a full refund, guests must cancel at least 30 days before check-in
  • If they cancel between 7 and 30 days before check-in, you’ll be paid 50% for all nights
  • If they cancel less than 7 days before check-in, you’ll be paid 100% for all nights
  • Guests can also receive a full refund if they cancel within 48 hours of booking, if the cancellation occurs at least 14 days before check-in
Strict
  • To receive a full refund, guests must cancel within 48 hours of booking, and the cancellation must occur at least 14 days before check-in
  • If they cancel between 7 and 14 days before check-in, you’ll be paid 50% for all nights
  • If they cancel after that, you’ll be paid 100% for all nights

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center