Non refundable guests demanding date changes or refunds

Jeanene3
Level 2
Floyd, VA

Non refundable guests demanding date changes or refunds

This morning I had a guest send this after wanting to change dates (check-in is in 4 days) or get a refund because snow is scheduled on her check-in date.

"Otherwise I will dispute this charge with my credit card company which I am sure will be granted and then will reflect poorly upon your Airbnb status. I also have chosen to report you as a host to the Airbnb for safety reasons."

I explained that the roads are always plowed and that we plow our own driveway, but she was increasingly hostile during her dozens of emails demanding to change dates or get refunded. Now I feel like I am guaranteed a bad review by this woman because she regrets choosing non-refundable. How do you handle this?

We are in a rural mountain area, so we use the moderate (5 days beforehand) policy even if it wasn't non-refundable because it is hard to get last minute booking out here. Is it worth sticking to my policies if they are mad before they even get here?

9 Replies 9
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Jeanene3 

I wish I could control the weather, but I can't. I haven't had any guests cancel because of bad weather forecast. 

It's hard to say how Airbnb would view it. It would seem absurd that a guest would be able to cancel penalty free because of the weather forecast, but I wouldn't be shocked. It's Airbnb. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jeanene3 

"Otherwise I will dispute this charge with my credit card company which I am sure will be granted and then will reflect poorly upon your Airbnb status". This is nonsense, as the guest pays to Airbnb and not to you.

" I also have chosen to report you as a host to the Airbnb for safety reasons."

Get rid if this guest. If the quotes are in the message system: contact Airbnb, explain situation and also feeling very uncomfortable about this guest: ask for penalty free cancellation. Better no money then hosting such a guest,which will bring more trouble.

Yes the quotes were through Airbnb message. I did report the threat. It seems like there is no point in having refund options if guest can just threaten us. She already contacted Airbnb and was told "no" about a refund, she vented about that.

Also, she mentioned that she has had hosts refund her and let her change dates before. Are we setting a precedent by accommodating people after they take our non-refundable options? 

I understand that it is easier to take a loss if the guest is hostile, and maybe I am naive to think it will matter if I stand my ground. As experienced hosts, do you offer non-refundable discounts, or not bother385ED28C-581B-4DF0-A505-383DE9424670_4_5005_c.jpeg?

@Jeanene3 Take Emiel’s advice and contact Airbnb to cancel with no penalty to you. Direct them to the message stream where the guest is threatening you. Tell them you’re no longer comfortable hosting this person. 

At this point it doesn’t matter if they get a refund. You DO NOT want someone this volatile and deranged in your space.

They need to be banned from the platform. Hopefully that happens. 

Ok, I will take your advice. Thank you!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Jeanene3  More evidence that the non refundable option is pointless.  The people who really wanted to stay, will stay anyway and get a discount.  The people who have to cancel will still want a refund.  All the host gets is 10% less money and a lot more aggravation. 

That is my takeaway as well

Jeanene3
Level 2
Floyd, VA

I went through Airbnb support to offer her a 50% refund if she cancelled today and she took it, so that was a relief.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeanene3  Yeah, I'd scrap the non-refundable option. Guests apparently don't understand it, or choose to pretend like they don't, and CS reps have been known to override it anyway, so it's of no advantage to hosts.