Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

One Guest comment Affects Accuracy Rating by 20% ! ?

Rosie196
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

One Guest comment Affects Accuracy Rating by 20% ! ?

Sorry I hardly ever feel the need to join the Community however today is the day.  

One guest out of 48 has given a good public review, however, she has marked me down to 4 stars under the label "accuracy of listing ! " Her reason was "...weak wifi  !!..."

Despite the fact I have clearly stated in my listing is "wifi weak/intermittent" under the section "Other things guests should know about the property" -  it was the only place I could put it when I first listed the property a few years back.  

I wouldn't mind so much guests is entitled to have an opinion and star my property as they feel fit.   However due to this 4 star rating AirBB immediately reduced my 100% accuracy rating to 80% just from this ONE persons mark (eventhough weak wifi was clearly stated).

- moreover AirBB are unwilling/unable/will not remove this OR DO ANYTHING to restore my 100% rating.

It is not correct that AirBB can allow just one guests (opinion/throwaway mark) should affect a hosts ratings without AirBB qualifying its validity first.  

To Correct a Wrong: AirBB could review their policy e.g if the same issue at the same property arose more than say 3 times - then and only then should the ratings for that property be affected - not after one persons throwaway comment.

I am so angry with AirBB as I am totally transparent with all the information about my accommodation and strive everyday to provide an excellent / luxury stay for all my guests - I had hoped AirBB would have supported us (hosts) better.  

PS This same guest also made some reference to 'fairly well equipped kitchen" I asked her why she said it was because I only had 4 mugs instead of what she recommended 12 ! .....Despite there being a further 6 coffee cups and saucers also in the accommodation).  The accommodation only sleeps 4 people ....

This is playing on my mind so much its not healthy !

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Rosie196 When I look at your reviews its an overall of 4.95 and only value and location are below 5 (both 4.9). This is all fine and won't affect bookings in any way.

Its not worth getting annoyed - Look at our 1 bed place. 4 reviews and one person left a 4 even though his review was glowing - the stats will recover as more reviews come in.

One interesting point - You responded to a wifi review saying fibre would be in by August and yet someone commented on poor internet in September. It might be worth saying in your listing that fibre is coming soon (but was delayed)

@Rosie196   Where are you seeing this 80% figure? It does seem like the Dashboard settings vary by country, could it be the Basic Requirements tab that you're referring to? For what it's worth, your listing displays the Accuracy rating as a perfect 5.0, so this one rating has not had any impact on how this appears to guest.

Anyway, whenever people try to challenge a review to Airbnb based solely on the star rating, the default response is that it reflects their subjective opinion. Over time you're going to have some guests that give you less than 5 stars for various things that seem strange - I've heard of a guest rating 4 stars for accuracy because the home was better than described. Try not to let those things get under your skin - the young folks running Airbnb try to use these silly stars and badges to micromanage you, but you're a seasoned hospitality expert with a beautiful and beloved property; you clearly know what you're doing and don't need stickers on your homework to validate the quality.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rosie196 

It really irks me too if a guest dings me on accuracy for no logical reason, but I agree with @Anonymous that you have to let it go as people do odd things with ratings.

I had one couple comment that the listing was 'very detailed and accurate' but give me 4 stars for accuracy 'in case guests don't read the listing'??!!

Another lady gave me 4 stars for accuracy because she said she was never made aware of something that is mentioned twice in the listing and that she was messaged about three times before her stay! When I pointed this out to her, she conceded that she had not read anything, but told me "Who are you to say whether it's accurate or not? It's my review not yours." Airbnb refused to remove it because they said it was "the guest's experience". Well no, the guest not reading the listing/messages does not mean they experienced an inaccurate listing!

So, I just wouldn't even bother contacting Airbnb about these sorts of things anymore and pick your battles. Save the stress for the retaliatory reviews where a guest gives you 1 star for something because they broke several rules and/or damaged your property.

Huck0
Level 2
Colorado, United States

Re: "Who are you to say whether it's accurate or not? It's my review not yours." 

Because accuracy is objective and measurable.  I agree that other ratings are subjective but this is one that almost always is not subjective (or shouldn't be).  And if an accurate listing is incorrectly showing as inaccurate then this hurts all parties involved: guests (they have less "accurate" listings to choose from), hosts (who get less guests because someone incorrectly labeled their listing as inaccurate) and airbnb (who now have both hosts and guests who are hurt).

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

I have a 5 star for location in subcategory but two "recent" guest, each from Ohio, rated me less than 5 stars, and now my listing says, "Great Location, 90% of recent guest have rated this 5* for location.) 

Both guest mentioned it was a great location in their overall five star review. I also provide a map with exact distance to the center of commercial downtown area, and in the listing says again the distance to the beach and downtown. 

The other guest said they wished it was closer to a major shopping mall, and my listing for a quiet waterfront apartment with nature views. 

Here I have all 5 star reviews in every category and Airbnb is giving me a 90% because 2 of my 130 reviews dinged me on location. And almost every other review menitions its a great location, and all the other listings nearby also have 5* for location. 

Wacky, just wacky.