Only giving refunds to strict cancellation policies

Brian-And-Megan1
Level 1
Manchester, IA

Only giving refunds to strict cancellation policies

Simple question

Can someone from Airbnb please explain to me the reasoning for giving a 25% refund to hosts based on their cancellation policy?

In my opinion this alienates your hosts that have moderate or flexible cancellation policies (what you promote hosts to have) because we will get nothing since the majority of cancellations are outside of our policy.

28 Replies 28
Annette300
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

So hypocritical of Airbnb to encourage hosts to use the instant book setting and the flexible cancellation policy so that they can make more money off of increased bookings.  But then go ahead and penalize the hosts that take their advise.  And reward hosts who ignored their request by refunding 25% of their cancellation  fees.   I don't know who came up with this idea but it is a form of discrimination.  They should just give every host a percentage of lost income due cancellations.  

Oscar170
Level 2
Davenport, FL

does anyone know where i can find the superhost relief fund application form??

Please let us know if you learn anything! thanks, Renée

I have also looked, but have not found it either. Can you let us know when and if you find it? I will do the same. They are not making it easy to the the support that was so warmly promised!

Call customer service or write to them and ask for it.  They will email or text it to you.  They did that when I asked.  

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

I completely agree about this, the more the wheels are turning in my head the more I agree. Airbnb has been keeping service fees for cancellations on your Flexible listings all these years... I know for a fact "it is extremely rare for a guest to get their service fee refunded". So they make they same % off Flexible listings, possibly more if your real estate is out there as bait, trolling for the non-committed fish to book and cancel repeatedly. There are lots of people who like to plan fantasy vacations. I cannot have people hopping onto my calendar and back off for $0 for me so I use all strict all the time for 93 listings but just got a cancelation notice for an arrival that was in 4 days, on April 7 the notice is stating that my refund policy gave the guest a full refund.  So apparently they are saying that one booking was flexible? I strictly use strict across the board but the booking rental portion was over $1900 so I am guessing they will not want to send me 25% of that and magically there was a glitch and my policy was flexible for that booking.... but back to your point, you accepted THEIR advice to be flexible, it was not because you do not need money right? It was because they said it would result in more bookings? 

Renée79
Level 2
Berkeley, CA

I heard very clearly, when CEO spoke with us, that he and his company  (and he generously offered to give 10 million of his own money toward the cause) would help hosts by covering 25% of their cancellations. NOT "cancellation fees." Did I totally mis-hear his words? I have been waiting for some relief, because I had 100% of my guests cancel in April due to Corona V, and nothing arrived. Then I read in in a written message about hosts' cancellations fees. I do not charge for cancellations, like many of us. What the heck? Any idea about recourse? 10 million is not much for a fellow worth 4 billion (on par with someone earning 4K/month spending 9$ on a coffee date). But we will take it! Income went to ZERO. Is there no accountability for saying Airbnb would help hosts? Where is the follow up? Who can we ask about this? Anyone home?

@Renée79 Yes, you misheard his words. Which he was banking on the press and lots of hosts doing, too. Despite his "Aw shucks, I'm just a regular guy" public personna, you can be sure his little oh so sincere speech was well scripted and if you noticed, he was reading it. He said hosts would get 25% of what they would have received according to their cancellation policies. So if your cancellation policy would have normally entitled you to receive 50% of the cost of the reservation, you would get 25% of the 50%, which is 12.5%. 

Renée79
Level 2
Berkeley, CA

Hi Sarah--Ultimately, presenting a deceptive message is a poor biz practice. And for the moment, we Hosts are the losers. Esp. ones like me, who got our hopes up. Even when I get on the website for super hosts to get a loan, the links are not clear. I doubt his intention to support hosts in this time. Too bad for us, and him! And Airbnb! 

stay safe, Renée

Alan9
Level 2
Aveley, Australia

It was my understanding after listening to Chesky that he was acknowledging the"partnership" ABnB have with their hosts and without them, us, he doesn't have a business. 

The conditions re the refund weren't made clear and created an expectation that is going to affect great disappointment and bad will with his "partners".

ABnB promote a more flexible cancellation policy in order to encourage guests to book, now the hosts who bought that self serving line are made to pay.

I wonder what insurance ABnB carries to cover this type of issue.

Chesky should have kept his self serving mouth shut instead of destroying any goodwill hoists might have had.

Diane660
Level 2
Somerville, MA

I am a superhost.  I have a strict cancellation policy.  I want to know the same thing.  When are we getting paid.  I had a 3 month guest starting in May.  Airbnb cancelled for extenuating circumstances.  I never agreed to the cancellation.  But now that it is done, I have received no information from airbnb about when I receive the money.  I count on airbnb for my basic needs.  I think we deserve answers about when the 25% will be released.    Do I need to apply?  I don't think so since airbnb cancelled and knows the amount and the reason for the cancellation.  So, when do we receive the money,.  Do we have to do anything.  It says we will get notified in early April.  I have not received notification.,  When do I get paid.  

Also do I get paid for the experiences that were cancelled.  Please respond to these inquiries.

Bobbi27
Level 2
Redding, CA

This better not be true! Hosts are
being crucified monetarily! 
ive invested everything i own in Airbnb!

Has this been confirmed?

Aaron648
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

It is a joke. What is the incentive to have a less than strict cancellation policy that Airbnb is advocating for. We have a moderate policy and get left in the cold. Wow, I guess we all know what cancellation policy to have moving forward. Thanks for nothing Brian.