[POLL] What is the average length of your bookings?

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

[POLL] What is the average length of your bookings?

Sybe_0-1652956027217.jpeg

Hey everyone,

As we’re slowly coming closer to the end of spring and the start of summer, lots of people are finalising plans and making preparations to take a small break away from their everyday lives. While some might go away on a short break, others could be planning a few weeks' holidays or even take their work and laptop away somewhere for a longer stay and a change of scenery.

The type of guests and length of stays you get depends on many different aspects, such as your listing type, location, amenities or even local legislation.

What is the average length of stay for your guests and why do you think that is? Was what you expected when you started hosting, something you were aiming for or perhaps that changed over time? Fill out the poll and let us know more about your experience in the comments!

Thanks!

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

61 Replies 61
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

Ah, okay, I thought that might be the case...

Thank you so much for this!

How do you find your year to date earnings in this same format?

Angela2820
Level 3
Cambridge, United Kingdom

My average is 3 nights at weekends. It’s set as 3 nights minimum stays. In the summer school holidays though we have a few one week and 4/5 night bookings. We haven’t had a 2 week booking yet although I’m not expecting one as it’s not the kind of place you would go for longer than a week! 

It would be nice if the search facility would let properties with a minimum of 3 night stays show up for flexible weekend searches.

Carol7087
Level 2
Hastings, United Kingdom

We only offer availability half the week as I work from home and our space is an adjoining guest annexe. We therefore have a lot of one nighters that stay for a specific reason, I.e seeing family, going to a concert or venue, or a weekend at the seaside. We occasionally have guests that stay for a few days over a bank holiday. One night is popular and does mostly suit us as they’re regular and any booking is a great booking! We haven’t had any ‘improper’ single nighters thus far which was initially a concern.  if we had more than one booking in a half week for a single night, that would be a lot of separate cleaning events 😟. We thought we would have more medical staff bookings as we are very close to an acute hospital but surprisingly have had no such staff! Possibly because we only host part time. Airbnb is so well set up, hosting is thoroughly enjoyable.

Cathy899
Level 10
Florence, OR

Given our property is a studio with a kitchenette and no stove or oven, it is geared towards shorter stays (2-3 days) and that's as we like it. Our guests spend more time outdoors kayaking, paddleboarding, canoeing etc. on our lake, than inside.

Given that our location is a small tourist town... there are few stays of over a week as guests usually come to hike or get married.  I would love longer stays, however, I don't seem to attract them.  I have a full kitchen, office, hot tub so I don't think it is the home. 

@Jamie600

Wow, what a place you have! I have had visitors stay here and drive to your area.

Ted & Chris

Aww, Thank you soooo much for the super kind words. I love Prescott. It is so beautiful there. I think people would tend to stay longer in Prescott than Sedona though... 🙂 

No, our average is right at 3 days, with a 2 day minimum. I had a few longer stays last Summer, 2 of the 2 weeks maximum. Only one of those was using our place as a remote work from home location. Since the Bunkhouse is in our yard, 2 weeks is long enough! 😉

Ted & Chris

@Jamie600 I think your property is beautiful. Have you considered lowering the daily rate maybe at least Monday though Thursday? You have a ton of amenities and it is clear your property is luxury! I still think if you listed it half of what you are listing it for now or just 1/3 off you will have an increase in bookings. Maybe check out the competition : ) You got this! 

Thank you, Sherri 🙂   I had my prices at 450 a night and was booked solid. Unfortunately, I think that was pandemic driven travel still. Our area is pretty over-saturated with STRs so with the inflation, gas prices, and reduction of in-state travelers everyone is slow. I have only had one monthly booking ever. They were such kind guests- they even made me a hardcover guest book. * I just don't seem to attract longer stays- It could be the stairs lol 

@Jamie600 

My little place is much lower cost, and still only booked weekends. It is the market, time off from work for a weekend is all our customers have to go to great places like where I live full-time!;)

Ted & Chris
Amy94
Level 3
Oak Island, NC

My space is a private room at the beach and my average stay is 1-2 days.  In the 6 years I have been hosting I think I have had maybe 3 requests for something over 4 days.  This push of Airbnb to book longer, WFH stays is killing my business. My listing is nearly invisible as evidenced by my steadily declining views even as I enter peak season.  There needs to be an algorithm that’s addresses this type of stay!! 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Amy94 

Have you seen a decline in listings since the recent category changes were put in place?  If so, please let me know, as I can pass along your feedback.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Do you mean decline in bookings?  I would t know about listings because all I see are homes from Norway when I open the search feature.  

But decline in bookings?  Absolutely. I am entering my 4 month peak season and have exactly 3 bookings totaling 8 days. Used to be a “rare find” and have not changed anything.  Views have gone from 1600 to 400 and still 
declining even though the “opportunities “ page says bookings in my area are up 22%. I have IB and have rarely declined a guest in 6 years. 

As a private room I have no other bookings platforms available.  I don’t understand why small hosts are being eliminated like this.  They are the backbone upon which this company was founded.