Paying for a Cleaner/Cleaning Service

Allison250
Level 2
Detroit, MI

Paying for a Cleaner/Cleaning Service

I have a listing on Airbnb that has three bedrooms that are either listed as individual stays or as an entire house. I don’t like to clean, I don’t want to clean and I’m not the best at it so I want to hire a cleaning company to do it. I’ve priced a vendor come at $55 per hour with an expectation of 2 to 4 hours to clean even after a one guest move out or check out. At $55 per hour that is more than what I’m charging for the 3-night weekend stay that I guest may book.

Can anybody give me an estimated price or how they make arrangements for a cleaning service to come in & do an adequately good job at a reasonable price? I considered having someone come in and clean and I do the laundry separately to save time. I’ve considered doing the Co-host status and paying a certain percentage but I’m not sure how diligent that person may be. I’d prefer a flat rate payment arrangement because the amount of cleaning varies depending on whether it’s one room or three bedrooms that need to be cleaned. Plus a flat rate allows me to budget adequately for my stays/expenses.  I would preferred to have some proven cleaning quality & consistency before I offer a co-host percentage.

I do charge a cleaning fee per reservation but that nowhere near covers the cost expected by cleaning companies or cleaning persons.

Any suggestions especially on the average pay $$$ for a cleaning person? 

2 Replies 2
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Allison250   What is the going rate for a cleaner in Detroit, Michigan?  I pay housekeeping $20.00 per hour.   I have whole house listings.  For each property, I have had the potential cleaner in and we clean it together to determine what the number of hours will be.  So one property may take 2 hours where another may take 5.  Then that becomes the rate that they will receive.

Your issue lies in the fact that a whole house clean is going to be needed whether you have rented one or two bedrooms or the entire house.  I would recommend that you look for an individual cleaner with a flexible schedule versus a cleaning company.  Best wishes for finding a wonderful cleaner!

Hi @Allison250 , what did you end up doing for this situation?

I have 2 bedrooms in a SFH listed separately and the going rate in my area is $45/hr for a cleaner. I've called a few companies and they have been willing to work with me on accepting the monthly booked cleaning fees at $20/stay. This includes turning over the bedrooms as necessary, doing the laundry, and deep cleaning common spaces once weekly. I have about 20 turnovers per month. 

AirBnB community: Has anyone seen a better system for cleaning multiple listings in a shared home?