Platform changes!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Platform changes!

There have been a couple of posts lately from hosts who, on going to their Payment/Payout section have only just come across the 'Guest Contribution' addition.  I think we all feel a bit insulted by that and certainly never asked for it. Was this necessary, are these the sort of alterations that make the platform run..... better?

After years of frustration at the constant 'tweeking' of the platform. Those annoying little changes we stumble on one day by accident.....not being able to go straight to my Inbox any more when I log-on! I now have to go through two pages to access my inbox! Who suddenly decided it was better to go from New York to Washington via Dallas!!

I think I have discovered the driving force behind Airbnb's philosophy!

main-qimg-1105d9eee7eb4db7e4d1157522adc9d3.jpg

Cheers.......Rob

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Robin4 

There is a software developer working at Airbnb who takes pleasure in driving people to despair.

Can this person please be fired?

David192
Level 10
Norwich, United Kingdom

Surely driving hosts to despair would be a qualification for promotion to AirBNB senior management?

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Robin4  I'm embarrassed I haven't noticed before that I could turn it off!  Oh my goodness has this gone to every single guest?  I just turned it off.  

I think the impulsive 12-year-old at the head of the company came up with this idea at a meeting one day as a way to fob off hosts who were angry at the COVID cancellations.  Naturally it didn't occur to him that this would make us angrier.  

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ann72 

I was also embarrassed i overlooked this option, seems to be "on" by default.

Even had to turn it off three(!) times to make it stay in "off" position, so double-check if it is really "off" !

(unless the "impulsive 12 year old" turns it on over and over .....)

@Emiel1   Same!!!  I went back today and it was on!  I turned it off and refreshed the page a few times, but I'll keep checking.  Thank you!

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Robin4 

The proof is in the pudding, has anybody received such a welcome gift, I haven't.

Of all the ideas in all the towns in all the world, who came up with this one?

A blonker in Airbnb.

Charles224
Level 10
Clare, Australia

Hi @Robin4 , I'm missing where / what is being discussed here. Care to make it simple for a lowlander? 

Cheers, Charles

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Charles224 

Around early April Airbnb thought it would be a wonderful idea if they asked their guests that were simply loaded down with money (from all they had saved by Airbnb beating down their hosts prices) to donate a bit of their windfall to those hosts they had screwed the hardest.....got the best deal out of!

So they sent out to all of the guests of hosts who left the following box unchecked, a contribution box......

Guest contributions.png

As a host, If you clicked on that box you are simply asked to allow guest contributions or block them.

Airbnb have got a seriously warped way of thinking how this host/guest relationship thing works.

Obviously this is a complete slap in the face for hosts Charles.....it reduces us to the level of beggars and guests reaction is ......Why should I give more money to someone who has already screwed me!

It's a completely hair-brained idea and one we have all dumped as soon as we came across it!

Cheers.........Rob

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

I'm curious as to how the money is distributed. Which hosts receive it? What percentage goes to Airbnb for the efforts to create and manage this? 

Wow. Just wow. I am pretty sure we have enough evidence for a class action at this point. I am out $2500+ in 9 days for Airbnb incompetence to help me get a reset password send to my cell or a phone call instead of email as I discussed with 8 different people now, that original email I used back in 2016 was deleted because that email server stopped doing email and I didnt know because all my bnb notices were being pushed to my cell! So, when I was kicked out and my password didnt work! What!?! I had to get a reset password. After 6 days they bnb claimed to have it fixdd where I would get three choices for reset password now. But - NOPE. 9 days later and second lost and pissed guest I am sure later, still cannot even get a call back from Airbnb to help me get a new psswors reset! I am thinking, guys. As a lawyer, if my IT guy couldnt get me into MY business server to access my work product and I had a pleading due or court case, the It guy would have texted me within 10 min. Saying - here is your new temp password. It will be good for 20 min. As soon as you login with it. Go and update your email, telephone number then password!