Political signage outside our homes

Lucille46
Level 2
Doylestown, PA

Political signage outside our homes

Hi all,

My shout out to this group is to ask your opinion on whether I should add some pictures of my political signs to my listing.  Someone knocked them down the other night (not a guest) and that made me a bit concerned.  I feel strongly about leaving them up.  Here's the history...

I recently put up a Black Lives Matter & a sign for my presidential preference along the road on my property.  For years I've been flying an LGBTQ flag

and no one has ever said anything negative about it.  The one I have currently has a field of 50 stars like the American flag & the LGBTQ colored stripes.

In fact, I've only had praise from guests who feel concerned when they travel and were so happy to be openly welcomed.

One of my former guests, who I've become friendly with, wrote to me that he thought those signs might make Airbnb guests feel uncomfortable and could risk alienating half of my guests.  His suggestion was to put up a generic "VOTE" sign.  He suggested I might not be comfortable renting an Airbnb with signs that were in opposition to my views.  (I thought about this & decided that I wouldn't have a problem with the signs, just an eye roll.  I would probably be less likely to interact with the hosts except on a surface level.  My own bias.)  I think his point is worth considering.  I wouldn't want bad reviews because people disagree with my politics.  Do you think adding photos makes sense and is necessary?

Hope to hear from some of you! 

Thanks,
Lucille

Lucille
40 Replies 40

@Lucille46  This is an interesting topic! There is no rule saying that you can't display partisan signage in your yard or home. If you prefer to host guests who share your political views, any photos along these lines would basically work as a filter. But to put things into perspective: if you were the guest, how would you feel if you arrived at your Airbnb and found that the home was decorated with propaganda for the candidate/party that you despise? I have a feeling that even if the host did a perfect job with everything, most guests in this situation would find faults that they wouldn't have otherwise.

That doesn't mean that you should feel obliged to censor yourself, if flying the flags is important to you. But personally, I find it much more valuable to discuss political values after an election rather than during. When people from different walks of life converge on "safe" territory, there's a lot of opportunity to learn from each other and approach a different outlook on humanity.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Lucille46  Funny you should ask...I just put up a HUGE banner at the front of my property, easily seen from the road. I'm calling it a "values" statement. Let's just say it starts with Black Lives Matter and goes on from there. It doesn't name a specific political candidate or party, but it makes some things clear. I am in western PA where I'm surrounded by Trumpers. I see new signs, banners, and flags go up every day. I'm at a stage in life where I decided to put my money where my mouth is. It is very important to me to make clear to my neighbors that not everybody agrees with them. But relative to the AirBnB...as soon as the sign went up, I added it to my listing photos. I feel that anybody who chooses to take issue with it can do so before making a reservation. I'm fine hosting anybody- we don't have to talk politics, and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I feel that if it's important to you to have those signs up, you should keep them up. In fairness to potential guests who might choose to stay elsewhere upon seeing them...well, that's on them. So yes- add the photos. 

Thanks, that's what I decided to do.

Lucille
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lucille46  If you want to keep the signs, then I'd say add it to your photo gallery. Personally, I'd be quite happy if those who had political ideas in direct opposition to mine didn't book with me.

I never bring up politics with my guests, but I'll engage in a discussion if they bring it up and are obviously of like mind to me. And since the current US politics has been such an intense topic, almost all my guests did start talking about it, and thank goodness, what I realized is that the guests who are attracted to my listing also share my views. Only had one who didn't.

That's also my MO, and I've shared the same experience as you have.  Lucky us!

Lucille
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lucille46 as @Anonymous says an interesting topic. I am thinking of some other 'signs' that whilst legal could be seen to be discriminatory. The confederate flag in the US and the English flag (sadly) have connotations that would worry many.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

We live in a very different country @Mike-And-Jane0  where we don't have a heritage of flying flags in our homes unless normally for major football or rugby events.

Sadly you are correct the Union Jack and English flag have been misappropriated by the far right wing in this country and outside of rugby and football events can be sign to say right wing supporters occupy a home.

Yes, similarly here.  It's a shame.  Our country flags are for all!

Lucille
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Helen3 Makes me mad that! The scots take pride in flying the  blue/white Saltire, the Welsh have their dragon on Green/white.... If I could be bothered to fly an English cross of St George, well why not? Just cos SOME have misappropriated it, does not  mean we ALL fly it in a wrong spirit! Only the thought police could insinuate ill intent, if I fly my country's flag the way the Scots or Welsh do..... Actually, during football & rugby tournaments is the time I LEAST wish to fly the flag! - Don't wish to yoke myself together with football types!

"When I'm old, I shall wear purple...."

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm not a flag waver or flyer, nor English so it doesn't bother me, but if I was, I too would be angry with the far right, that they had appropriated my country's flag. @Helen350 

@Helen350 I'm old and I still can't stand purple 🙂

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I think you should do whatever makes you comfortable. It's your space and if you want to use it to make a statement about your beliefs you should be able to do that.

The only caveat for anyone displaying any political, religious or otherwise deeply held conviction is that you could alienate some people.  If that doesn't matter to you, or you would rather not host folks who disagree with your views, it won't make a difference. If you are trying to appeal to the widest possible audience it might. I have an online business and im very careful not to discuss anything about my political leanings around elections. It gets very contentious and its not worth it to me personally. Im not going to change anyone's mind by debating with a stranger online.  Your home is a totally different situation. You may not want to invite people who are antagonistic to your point of view to stay there.

@Laura2592 It's also possible that yard signage will alienate some people who do share your views. For example, a gay person who is worried about street harassment might not feel comfortable being spotted entering a home with a giant rainbow flag. 

Fortunately, there is no worry here about street harassment.  I live in a country setting near both progressive and more right leaning towns.  I'm not gay, but fly the flag in solidarity and as a sign of welcome to all.

Lucille