Principal Guest refuses to let us know the names of the additional guests

Don-And-Emily0
Level 10
Catskill, NY

Principal Guest refuses to let us know the names of the additional guests

Hi All,

Even though it is written in our Additional House Rules that the names of ALL guests must be turned in prior to approval, when asked to do so, some people get hostile.

I don’t understand why @Airbnb doesn’t make this a standard practice?

Not unlike hotels, we are running housing accommodations for tourists from all over the world. Some of these homes are places we bring our families and children to, and we need to know the names of the people who sleep in our kids beds and get to know intimate details about our homes. It is a matter of safety as much as accountability.

We trust them to make fires in our fireplaces, cook on our gas stoves, use our BBQ etc… We trust them to have the keys to our homes but we somehow are not expected or allowed to know all the guests’ names? 

I just has a young lady from Turkey call me unprofessional because I declined her reservation after she refused to tell me the names of the  other 5 guests in her party. I did not ask for passports or drivers license,  just names.

Please do better @Airbnb. We need you to review this practice. 

I’d love to hear from other hosts on this. Do you ask for Names or IDs or address or we in the minority here?

Thank you for reading

37 Replies 37

I strongly agree with you @Don-And-Emily0.

When i started hosting in 2021, i also faced the same problem and i also lost tons of reservations because i asked for a ID proof at the time of check in. I want @Airbnb to look into this matter as it is safety concern which is needed to be taken care of, as our houses are on the line and we the "Hosts" should have the basic right to know who are staying in our homes.

Heck even a full name at time of booking enquire helps. I’ve searched for people online post-confirmation and been relieved to find them on LinkedIn, with a suitably responsible/boring profile pic and job. 

@Yasir18 Exactly! The guests get to know our address, names, and details of our properties. The least we should be able to have it their name. It's only fair and not too much to ask for.

We shouldn't be put in the uncomfortable position to pressure the guests into giving us all the names in their party. It should be built into the reservation process.

Ms. Powell responded and said she was forwarding this to the Product Team for further evaluation. Glad they are listening. There is hope...

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

I ask for an unedited photo of the ID of everyone staying. They are literally entering my primary home where I live so I have every right to know who everyone is.  So far I've only had one person decline to stay and because they waited until 4 hours before check in to finally cancel, I kept the money. As it is in my pre-booking message and my house rules, I had absolutely no remorse for keeping their money. 

Pamela1061
Level 2
Pimpama, Australia

Yesterday I had an interesting day I knew that the person that booked was not going to be here a past super host. I declined them coming 2 days before checking in date. Yesterday I sent message the fire was on and ready for their arrival if they wanted to come 2 hours early.

Airbnb had removed all of his messages I couldn't see any and messages this person no longer has access to Airbnb.

OMG just after 2pm 2 men (should have been aunt and uncle) arrived at my house in uber said they here for a stay. 

I always go through airbnb messages I sent Airbnb message on support.

I don't ring but decided to ring the person that made the booking he didn't answer then I asked the men if they could ring him no answer and he rang back and he said I will sort it out with airbnb  and airbnb sorted it and reinstated his account.

Everything with Airbnb is a first a bit scary when people turn up you just take the person who books word they are  telling the truth a bit scary when people just turn up like that though.

@Pamela1061 Do you actually have a booking and Id for these people.?I would question why the so called original guest has a phone he does not answer and why he booked for these people . You need Id Id Id  and honestly this is a case for cancellation How did they communicate with you. How old are they . Have you sorted this ? Scary H

Well are ok ,we have in the house now by request from the 2 men and 2 more people getting ready for a wedding (the original person who booked wedding ) 

it is raining cats and dogs here for 8 days now I would not want to be them.

Took one to the gym this morning he paid cash and now we are giving them a lift to the wedding I feel like I'm in a movie someone is making on how not to do Airbnb Ha ha 

Nothing from AIRbnb but I am communication to the person who booked and he is on back on airbnb messages now and using my mob messages.

Do you know another way to get paid by Airbnb I hate PayPal they charge me $7 dollars to move the payouts to my card account?

Oh I have no payout from airbnb yet for their stay.

I have a dedicated checking account for payouts from AirBNB that is not connected to any other finances I have,