New to Airbnb:

3rd tenant in Ive had the following happen

* Broken Bunk Bed = 90 repair

* HOA Neighbor complaints about tenant noise

* Dog hair everywhere

I 'was' dog friendly but changing that NOW

I do take 200 deposit.

Question: I need good reviews.

Do I escalate and ask for reimbursement?

Do I eat the costs and chalk upto bad tenant

Thoughts???

Thanks Mike

1 Best Answer

@Michael5927   One thing new hosts are often surprised to learn is that the so-called "deposit" is fake. Airbnb does not charge or hold any amount you specify, and it has no bearing on whether a damage claim will be resolved in your favor. Nothing wrong with putting some random number there as a deterrent, but don't operate under the assumption that it's going to be there if you need it.

You can request reimbursement for physical damage when necessary, but you will have to accept that a negative review is a likely consequence, so it has to be worth it. In this case, a noise complaint has no tangible monetary value and the dog hair is a normal result of allowing animals (including service animals, which Airbnb requires you to accept), so Airbnb would not back you up on a claim for those. That leaves the broken bed, which is seldom ever the result of an individual guest abusing the furniture. After all, sleeping on a broken bed is much more of an inconvenience to the guest than repairing it is to the host.  This doesn't add up to a good case for reimbursement.

I'm not even sure I'd call this one a "bad tenant," though it really depends on the nature of the HOA complaints and how the guest responded if/when you addressed it. Accidental minor damage and hair from a permitted animal are common things you'll encounter with this kind of rental, certainly nowhere near the horror stories you'll see every day when perusing this forum.

3 Replies 3

@Michael5927   One thing new hosts are often surprised to learn is that the so-called "deposit" is fake. Airbnb does not charge or hold any amount you specify, and it has no bearing on whether a damage claim will be resolved in your favor. Nothing wrong with putting some random number there as a deterrent, but don't operate under the assumption that it's going to be there if you need it.

You can request reimbursement for physical damage when necessary, but you will have to accept that a negative review is a likely consequence, so it has to be worth it. In this case, a noise complaint has no tangible monetary value and the dog hair is a normal result of allowing animals (including service animals, which Airbnb requires you to accept), so Airbnb would not back you up on a claim for those. That leaves the broken bed, which is seldom ever the result of an individual guest abusing the furniture. After all, sleeping on a broken bed is much more of an inconvenience to the guest than repairing it is to the host.  This doesn't add up to a good case for reimbursement.

I'm not even sure I'd call this one a "bad tenant," though it really depends on the nature of the HOA complaints and how the guest responded if/when you addressed it. Accidental minor damage and hair from a permitted animal are common things you'll encounter with this kind of rental, certainly nowhere near the horror stories you'll see every day when perusing this forum.

Michael5927
Level 2
Denver, CO

That is a great response. Interesting to understand the 'deposit concept. Great to know. Much appreciate you taking the time to help - Appreciate.

Mike

Timothy380
Level 2
Doncaster, United Kingdom

I have had a good first tenant in my home and now I got what seems to be a guy ('**' -his name- profile seems legit.) who uses AirBnb to either find a new place to live OR conduct a jewellery business from, dealing in diamonds or metals like gold and platinum. He tells me he will move out on the 10th September as the Airbnb booking made with me  BUT, I am fearful he will squat my room, complain or make life so difficult for me with my nieghbours/online that I am close to calling the police to have the guy removed. ** I am OK, but boy, I want him to go on the slotted time. My friendly neighbour has bet £5 with me that he will say, do something odd or not leave on time on Friday. ** What-d-ya Think? 😞

**[Comment edited in line with the Community Center Guidelines]