Project Lighthouse?

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Project Lighthouse?

Wondering how people are feeling about Airbnb sharing profile pics and first names in an independent study on discrimination? There’s something about having my name and picture floating about that is making me a bit squeamish, and I’m thinking about opting out.

wondering if I am being overly sensitive, and how other people feel. 

Jude

31 Replies 31

@Terri129 literally none of that is true. There have been several protracted debates on this forum about BLM and racism. As far as I have seen none of them have been productive in any way, so I'm not going to engage in another one. I hope you will make an effort to educate yourself.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck!

Unlike Black Lives Matter, I don't believe most or even many white people are white supremacists. They claim to have started their organization when Treyvon Martin was killed. He wasn't even killed by a white person. If BLM was honest, they would be trying to stop black on black crime as far more black persons are killed by other black persons but instead they are focusing on police and whites. That's just dishonest but it makes them a lot of money!

@Terri129 , I heard that "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon." at BLM sponsored protests covered on TV, I was disgusted by that and other very negative and destructive displays that showed they could not deliver a message of anything without violating others in the process.   But when it comes right down to it, I don't believe its any groups responsibility to change our laws and policies, that's exactly why we have elected paid representatives. 

The ones screaming the loudest have been entrenched and doing zippo the longest like Pelosi, Biden, Clyburn  and Schumer.  Even they want to forget that about 12 years ago, they ran the House, Senate, had a majpority of Supremes and Presidency (with The first Black President), they went to Walt Disney World instead about caring about Black or any lives but their own....

Terri129
Level 3
Plymouth, CA

What right does Airbnb have to regulate the personal behavior of its customers  MORE THAN theIr elected government has? As previously stated, there are laws protecting races of people. Airbnb seems to think all Americans are guilty until proven innocent. Worse yet, they don't want to let elected government do their job, they are so self righteous and arrogant, they believe they have a superior calling and are able to read people's hearts.

@Terri129 You constantly opt into activities that have rules and regulations over and above the law of the land. For example, if you wish to enter many businesses, you must wear a shirt and shoes. There's no law that states that you must wear a shirt to buy a hamburger, but the business states that if you want to enter their premises, you must abide by their rules. This is completely lawful: businesses can hold you to a higher standard than just complying with the law, and as long as what they're asking you to do is lawful, it's fine. If you don't want to comply with the rules, you can opt out by taking your business elsewhere.

Terri129
Level 3
Plymouth, CA

You have it upside down. Do you equate going shirtless with racial discrimination? Airbnb is going BEYOND the law. They are trying to play God. 

@Terri129 studying discrimination on the platform is Airbnb "playing God"? You're going to have to explain that one. 

Airbnb is a private company that can make any rules they wish, as long as they are in compliance with the law. I'm not sure why you feel what they're doing doesn't fall into that category. You opt into many rules when you sign up for Airbnb that go beyond what the law states, just like when you sign up for many services or enter businesses.

You seem really upset and defensive that they're trying to do something about discrimination on their platform. They've been working on it for years: this isn't new. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Terri129  If you don't like it, delist your place with Airbnb. You didn't understand a word of what Alexandra explained. Airbnb or any business has the right to expect a certain standard of behavior from their customers- if you don't like their regulations, don't give them your business.

I never said I didn't like their regulations. It's just not smart to get political with your customers.

@Terri129  Discrimination isn't a political issue- it's a human rights issue.

In this case, it's political because Black Lives Matter is not concerned with human rights; otherwise, it would not advocate abolishing police departments. They are only interested in anarchy and power motivated by envy and hate.

@Terri129 Wanting equality and not wanting to be killed is being motivated by envy and hate? Okay then. if your understanding of the message of defund the police is that they want to abolish police departments, that tells me that you haven't actually done any research on the message at all, just read the headline.

I'm going to completely blow your mind: every corporation in America "gets political" with their customers. They make contributions to charities and political parties of their choosing. Often, they spend money on making donations to politicians and political parties and hire lobbyists to get laws to break their way. It's the American way. I think that type of political gerrymandering is far more harmful than a small donation to a social cause.

Not wanting to be killed? You mean like the violent Black Lives Matter mob that threatened to kill the McCloskeys and burn down their house?

@Terri129 Source? You just keep saying things without backing any of it up.

Regardless of what happened with the McCloskeys, does that make it okay for the police to kill people?