Property damages and the resolutions centre

Susan4266
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Property damages and the resolutions centre

I am getting very concerned and frustrated and come here to see any other hosts' experiences.

My listing property on Airbnb is a big house and some people would have parties here.

While the party was on 12-13 June 2021, I was still new. 

There were big damages, broken window glass, holes on walls, billiards table top ruined, carpet covered with mud……

I reported to Airbnb straight away and sent photos and estimated claims in two days.

The tenant was shocked and said it was his cousin and his group who stayed and caused the damages.

He promised his cousin would pay every dollar.

He asked me to go claim through Airbnb.

which I did.

On 19 June, I got an email from someone from Airbnb resolutions, he gave me a link and asked me to send all the requested information to that link.

which I did, and asked him what else I should do.

I got no reply from him, until 7 July, a lady sent me an email saying she was following her previous email about the claim, and said if I don’t reply within two days, this claim would automatically be closed.

firstly, I never received her email before that, secondly, I call the Airbnb helpline every couple of days to ask about the progress.

I got at least 4 messages like: thank you for reaching out to us, we have forwarded your request to a special team who can better help you.

But nobody actually contacted me.

Last Thursday, 12 August, 3 months past this incident, I was surprised to find, this case was closed!

Somehow, when I tried to claim through resolution centre to request money again, I am surprised again!

This time, the format changed. After I filled in the requested money, there is a blanket for message to the guest, which means the money request would go to the guest directly.

The format asked me to wait for 72 hours to see the guest’s response.

But the incident didn’t happen within this 72 hours, it happened 3 months ago.

I called and sent an email to require Airbnb to involve today. 

Don’t know what’s going to happen.

May I ask if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Many thanks!

Susan 

2 Replies 2
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Susan4266 

Sorry to hear about your experience.  There are lot of similar experiences posted on this Forum.  New hosts tend to get targeted fairly frequently, most new hosts don't have the experience to vet guests.  It is a learning process for all hosts.  Unless hosts have a very strong case, any claim (if you follow this forum) seems to lean towards the guests.  Please keep in mind that Airbnb is just a service that connects guests with hosts, and does the collection and payments of each reservation.  Beyond that, don't expect anything more.

Thank you for your message. I believe I have a strong case. In anyway, nobody hinted me they can’t help, but all they do is dragging the time.