Refund and rebooking policy- terrifying!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Refund and rebooking policy- terrifying!

Yikes, anyone else broken out into a cold sweat reading the details of the new refund and rebooking policy….

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2868/rebooking-and-refund-policy?src_section=310825&c=.pi80.pk...

70 Replies 70

@Branka-and-Silvia0 wrote:

@Mark116  true, and then when the host doesn't get an answer and declines the guest answers immediately. It happened to me regularly

Ditto. Happens all the time. How is it that they notice the notification about the decline, but decide to ignore previous messages from the host?

@Mark116, this remains an ongoing problem and seems to be getting worse.I think the App is letting us all down in some way because a lot of people are not using desk top ,which to read messages properly you really need , I would hate to think that Airbnb has hijacked the guests to the point they are finding it 'convenient ' to obscure 'guests rules' and to allow the guest to think intuitivly that Airbnb are in control in a greater way of hosts homes. I now tell my guests that I require ID and vax certs to keep everyone in my house safe. I also  let them know that Airbnb do not pass on their id to hosts and that I need ,as the owner and host of the property to know who is in my house and when and that i have a few rules that are important and they must be read and if not i will resend . It is difficult to say these things in a 'nice way' and I would rather that Airbnb stopped be such a controlling tool H

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Paul1255 @Helen744 @Katrina314 @Caleb1 @Basha0 @Sarah977 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Mark116 @Michelle53 and everyone else sharing their thoughts in this thread.

I wanted to let you know that since it was first discussed on the CC, the OCM team have been taking all of your comments and feedback back to the internal teams, including Catherine Powell. To that end, @Catherine-Powell has recently posted more information about this change which you can read here:

Our recent change to the guest refund policy

We're all keen to hear your thoughts so please do let us know what you think, either in this thread or over in Catherine's new topic.

Thanks again,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie  hope you’re doing well!

The comments on Catherine’s new topic speak for themselves, and I’m glad to hear the OCM team are feeding back to Airbnb.

Clearly we all feel passionately about the policy changes- and why wouldn’t we, we are all passionate about successful hosting.  

All I can do is hope that Airbnb really are hearing the genuine host heartbreak and fear that is easily detectable under the anger and upset showing at the surface.

What Airbnb choose to do with what they hear is going to be key to repairing a relationship that does seem to be at a particularly low point.

Robin1080
Level 2
Vero Beach, FL

omg it must be related because i had guests who I aollwed to enter 5 hours early...they proceeded to eat, make coffee, use bed, take shower and used 6 towels...after 8 hours they claimed bugs LIE!!  So overnight Maneesh writes me and I was asleep to wake up to his message that he refunded my guests after they used the airbnb for 8 hours...they ducked out on the cleaning fee to my best manager ever!!!  And now I am in jeopardy of losing the listing...I know is woke company and I should leave but I dont want my excellent Bahamian manager to lose her pay...no one should get a refund unless they arrive and have a complaint!!!  Not accessing for a whole day and then pulling the scam.

Laila124
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Its frightening. Id suggest to all hosts to have their properties inspected for mold/electrical/plumbing and treated (as prevention) against pests. Keep all reports and proof on paper to protect yourself against any false complaints of that sort. Unfortunately there are a few guests who would try and take advantage of the policy (3 days to make a complaint is totally ridiculous - that just means a 3 days free stay)

Thomas1522
Level 2
Kaneohe, HI

So let me get this right.  If we cancel a guest before the 30day arrival are we still liable for the guests accommodations?  

We just canceled (well before the 30days) a guest because they would not respond after we accepted them.   Air BNB was good about no charges at that time but has did an override on our calendar wo we can not reopen it.  After Reading this and the scammers that are out there, this will be devastating to HOSTS.

so on my listing it does say entire house as there is no option for entire lower floor.  I should adjust that  right?  I will be calling Air BnB today.

thanks for heads up glad someone reads the fine print.

@ Thomas1522 We only get three cancellations per year I think and thats only on IB  but i am not sure if penalties apply but its always best to have in your rules that guests must respond to hosts messaging or communications in a timely manner or risk cancellation H

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I promised myself a month ago to be a lot more judicious with my time, arguing about silly trends that soon they will go in the opposite direction, is a waste of time. This new policy however is too juicy to not have some fun with it.

1. In bi-modal thinking only increments at the extreme ends of the scale come to certain minds, while other humans also can think in degrees. It was 1 day before, but now it is 3 days, what happened to 2 days? A bit more palatable, more than sufficient and makes more sense than allow 3 entire days for the scammers to get that much more creative.

2. If Airbnb payments are send 1 day after check-in day for the reason that a reservation has indeed  been filled, IF this latest move is abused (count on it, it will be, just to what degree is the question), I could see the day that payments are logically then also delayed to 3 days. Why not send payments after all is set and no longer subject to change?

3. The litmus test for any new policy should be - "How will this be abused by either side?", in order for a new policy to not become one-sided and become an instant can of worm. That is ~IF~ the intent is to be fair, and smart by not creating even more confrontations requiring a referee (aka Airbnb CS Department).  

/back to the world of renovating boats, sandy beaches and iguanas

@Fred13 ha ha . Why pay us at all? Some complaints should be made "in situ' or not at all. Cleanliness , broken locks , bears,  broken toilets ,no water ,giant man eating things ,other occupants not expected,wrong adress, not right numbers of things or anything that will actually cause you to not stay or immediately vacate. Some things not under the hosts control should have a little guest insurance charge ,  like flooding , loss of internet. Loss of electricity and anything happening after that is just not relevant  The threads are unravelling and no matter how good a host you are there is a whole world of unusual and different folks trying to get into your house. Happy Iguana day H

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

this new policy rightfully punishes terrible hosts. However, it also punishes us, the good guys. Scammers aren't going to stay in the rubbish listings to get their money back, they are going to choose to stay in wonderful places, and then scam the host.  I don't mind the strict rules, if I knew that CS would have our backs. But i'm not hearing that's the case, i'm hearing stories of good hosts being screwed over. I'm a relatively new host and i'm nervous. 

Also not thrilled to hear that the mods are banning people from these forums. Censorship usually means you are scared of what people have to say. Or, you are trying to control the narrative (or both). It's not "open and transparent" behaviour.