Refund - no heating or hot water

Tara702
Level 1
Wainscott, United Kingdom

Refund - no heating or hot water

Myself and my partner booked a weekend stay through Airbnb. The cottage was beautiful on arrival and we were really pleased. We left Saturday morning to go on a hike all day when we returned at 3.30pm there was no hot water or heating. We wondered if this was on a timer (there was no welcome book or information provided) we were in no rush for showers so thought to wait a little. At 5pm we needed to start getting ready for dinner reservations so needed to shower. There was still no heating or hot water, at this point we reached out to the host. We had no response and kept trying to contact throughout the evening. Eventually at 9.30pm we received a call from the host saying he would contact the land lady and let us know. We had to cancel the dinner reservations as it was now too late and we were still unable to shower. We heard nothing further that evening or night. The next morning when we woke there was still no heating or hot water so at this point I reached out to Airbnb. I spoke to the resolution centre and they were going to call the host and come back we didn't hear from either the host or Airbnb. In the hour before checking out the heating came on but still no hot water meaning we had to check out without showering. I requested a 50% refund for the time we were without heating and hot water and had to wait 72 hours for the host to respond. No response from the host so escalated to Airbnb. They spoke with him and he said he needed time to think. This was now 7 days after our stay. I explained to Airbnb that I did not feel confident he would come back so they escalated further and deadlined him to 48 hours. Of course, the 48 hours have well been and gone and no resolution. I have followed up with Airbnb and they have asked me to contact the host for the refund. It is clearly listed in the advert that the accommodation has heating. If anyone is able to help me I would greatly appreciate it. I use Airbnb several times a month to travel and hosts have always been wonderful but I am finding this very frustrating and it is really putting me of the Airbnb experience now as I feel like I am not being heard.

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Tara702  Not being able to fully enjoy the accommodation due to lack of any basic amenities, hot water being one of them, seriously interferes with a guest enjoyment of the stay.  It is up to the host to determine what, if any, refund will be provided and believe me, most hosts would agree to a partial refund.  You still use the accommodation, so full refund is not as possible, but your request is not out of line.  Just wait for the host to "think about it"  and use the review system to address your dissatisfaction whether or not you get the refund.  I hope all your communications with the host were on the Air BNB message system so there is a record of your communication with the host.  I see you have use Air BNB 2 times before and had a good experience, so I hope you are paying attention to the reviews a host gets to determine your next selection.  You might consider screening your selection to work with Super Hosts as they have  shown a track record of satisfied guests.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Tara702 I've been in this situation asa host. I offered 1 night free,  hot water was out for 8 hours,  I called in an emergency electrician in weekend at a high cost. Guests said no,  I thought it was nice of them. Then I get a call from support saying they want all of their stay refunded. I said no, one night is fair. This was then fought over for a pointless fortnight. Then support suggested one night refund, just as I initially said. I agreed. That is what you will get, one night refund. It is fair and to be expected.  

Tara702
Level 1
Wainscott, United Kingdom

Thank you both for your advice! The host has now provided a 50% refund which I am really pleased with.