Refund policy

Answered!
Åse6
Level 1
Stockholm, Sweden

Refund policy

Hello, I am a new host and I am about to book my first guest. The guest write:

"Please note Due to COVID the refund policy we would look for is a full refund this can not be negotiable, if for health reasons we are unable to come or if the war escalates and the airport closes". The guest asks for Flexible Refund Policy. Is that a good idea and what about me as a host, if I need to cancel for the same reasons, what happens then?

Greatful for all help!

Best wishes / Åse

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Åse6 If you or the guest gets Covid then you/they would get a free of charge cancellation/full refund. If the airport shuts then this would not normally be covered but I have no idea what happens in a war as this is not something I have ever contemplated happening in Europe. Other health issues are down to the traveller for which they should have health insurance.

This guest sounds overly demanding but I realise you are wanting your first booking!

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Åse6 If you or the guest gets Covid then you/they would get a free of charge cancellation/full refund. If the airport shuts then this would not normally be covered but I have no idea what happens in a war as this is not something I have ever contemplated happening in Europe. Other health issues are down to the traveller for which they should have health insurance.

This guest sounds overly demanding but I realise you are wanting your first booking!

Thank you so much for your answer! Yes, I want my first booking and they book for three weeks with short notice, they also have very good and many reviews, I have none 🙂 They also seem to be nice and communicative people so I think I will go for it and take it as a lesson if it does not work out. Thanks again! / Åse

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In your situation I wouldn't accept the booking as these guests sound like they will be demanding.

I would reply to the guest and say if they need to cancel because one of their party has COVID and provides evidence of this they would eligible to apply for a refund under Airbnb's EC policy for COVID.

Please make it clear to the guest that if they cancel for any reason not covered by Airbnb's EC policy any cancellation will be processed under the cancellation policy they booked under and they would not be able to rely on getting a full refund.

I would never use a flexible cancellation policy as it is too risky as guests can cancel at the last minute and you will end up out of pocket if you cannot rebook.