Registered guests

Pete3178
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

Registered guests

We have been hosting for 4 months and it has been a great experience. Our listing is limited to 2 guests ad no un- registered guests are allowed. Usually 1 person books for 2 guests , we accept the booking but do not ask for the second name. What do most hosts require ? Just the bookers name or both guest names ? TIA

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pete3178  Some hosts ask for the names of everyone, some don't. I'd venture a guess that most don't. Although there are many countries where hosts have to provide this info, along with passport copies, to the govt. for all their guests.

In your case I wouldn't make this a requirement, since it's a place for only 2 guests. There are bookings sometimes where people are having an affair ( hope that doesn't shock you) and wouldn't want to give out that info. 

For that reason, it's also best not to mention the names of both guests in a review, just the booker, unless they make it obvious to you that they're a married couple.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Pete3178 

Airbnb do require guest to share the additional guest name in the booking page.

When making a booking the guest enters the names of the additional guests to that the get the travel itinerary too. But host dont receive those names.

Therefore, host is necessary to require again the additional guest name.

It always good and right to know! 

Pete3178
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

Thank you both for your replies. We have a very nice lady booked in right now for 4 nights. Communication on the day of arrival was  through the app only, which is quite normal for our listing. She has had a visitor here every day, in the daytime, the same guy. Everything seems to be fine, but I wonder what would be the proper way to handle this situation. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You have a rule that only registered guests are allowed.  What constitutes "resgistration" for your listing?  Would you have a problem with a single guest having a different additional person each night?  I hve the same rule and request the names of all people in my home, but my listing is shared not separate.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Pete3178 It’s perfectly acceptable (and not unusual) to require all guests to be registered and on the booking, even daytime ones, but you need to be clear about it in your house rules, and reiterate it at booking. Most guests will not have read your unique house rules, even if they say they have. Also note that Airbnb does take ‘other guest’  info from the guest who books, but they don’t know that Airbnb doesn’t share that info with hosts.  

Clare167
Level 10
United Kingdom

As a guest, my experience has been that the names of my party are not demanded by either Airbnb or (unless for official forms) the host. Airbnb does request the name/s, but nothing happens when they are not supplied. Unless things have changed over the last 18 months or so.

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

@Pete3178 

As part of our booking process, we require guests to list the names of all parties staying overnight during the stay.  

The wording is as follows:

"We already have you (person booking) listed as one of the guests.  In preparation for your stay, please provide the first and last names of all overnight guests.  This includes relatives and/or friends (adults and children) who may stay for only a night or two.  We must know specifically who is residing in the premises due to insurance regulations and safety/security practices."

This allows us to know exactly who will be staying at our rental in case there is an issue with someone being locked out, calling for assistance, or should there be an emergency such as a fire/domestic dispute/natural disaster, etc.  Also, as we contract with an insurance carrier specifically for rental coverage, we have guest information if we need to file a claim.

Most guests don't have an issue with the request.  We are able to rest more comfortably knowing who is occupying our rental.