Request to book outside of check in window- please be ware

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Request to book outside of check in window- please be ware

I think this has been reported a couple of times, I just encountered it. I received a booking request that looked like any other. I do have IB, but there have been multiple bugs in the last week so I was not too surprised. This was on Saturday for Sunday check in. I accepted it, shared all of my instructions and did not hear back from guest till Sunday morning at which point he said my instructions have completely different check in time. I put down 4 pm and he asked for 1-3 pm, I promised him 1pm and would like to check in at 1. I explained that someone would not even be moving out till 11 and that I looked through our communication and there were no promises. He seemed to be OK with that. I pulled up the original request and at the very bottom it did say "You can review this reservation because the request is outside your check-in window". We are talking small print at the very very bottom. There was no option to approve without the early check in. It appears that we would either need to accept the early check in or loose the entire reservation. One observation: this guest turned out to be tremendous pain in the behind. I spent the entire night dealing with him which is a whole other story. I wonder if someone who is willing to not secure a booking but convert it to request over a few free extra hours has the same personality with those who ask for a discount. We have all reported those guests to be trouble. I do offer free early luggage drop off and parking so it is not like this guest would have been stranded with bags if not for this early check in. All in all, this feature needs to go. 

16 Replies 16

@Delwyn3  I can't tell you how many times a guest has asked for early check in and I've rushed to get things ready early, and then they show up AFTER check in..."oh, we found some things to do". I've stopped being so accommodating.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Inna22, thanks for flagging this. I had no idea guests could book outside of the check in window. It's just lucky you brought it up with him beforehand or he might have turned up before the place was ready! Great, just another thing we need to look for when someone sends a booking request.

@Branka-and-Silvia0, @Emilia42, hahaha, love it!