Revenge Reviews

Answered!
Allie179
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

Revenge Reviews

AirBnB needs to create a new policy for how to handle REVENGE REVIEWS. My only 2 bad reviews have come from guests who retaliated after I have filed a claim for damages. I did post a reply to the revenge reviews, but that does not make up for the reviews dropping my rating from 4.89 to 4.73 and causing me to lose super host status! I have finally recovered my rating to 4.8 and just yesterday had a guest that left with nearly $3k in damages. Since I know AirBnB won't protect me from a revenge review, I'm now forced with the decision between submitting the claim immediately and risking my rating and future super host status or taking my property offline for 14 days and waiting until after the rating period to submit my claim. Being forced to take my listing offline for 2 weeks in order to submit a claim is a loss of revenue for myself AND for AirBnB. There needs to be a policy that offers protections for hosts against retaliation reviews! How do we get AirBnB to do something about this issue? There are dozens of post threads on this topic. How do we get their attention?

1 Best Answer
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Allie179  Your guest mentions in her review, that Airbnb (support) has been involved. And she is insulting you personally.

Both is a no-go, and against the rules. 

To keep reviews relevant, we recommend avoiding the following:

• […]
  • Profanity, name calling, and assumptions about a person’s character or personality

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy

Try this https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/548/airbnbs-dispute-moderation-for-reviews

View Best Answer in original post

54 Replies 54
Nordia0
Level 2
Sister Islands, Cayman Islands

File the claim again and cite specific sections of the policy. These outsourced call centre agents get it wrong quite often.

Sharmini5
Level 2
Colombo, Sri Lanka

@Allie179 it's almost a year since you had to face this unpleasant experience, but Airbnb hasn't yet got its act together regarding Revenge Reviews by vindictive guests.

I recently had a guest  who defied almost all my House Rules and nearly caused a fire in my apartment.. He became furious when I pleaded with him to follow my House Rules.

He became even angrier when I asked him if he was prepared to pay (via Airbnb) for the damage he caused. He checked out of my apartment early morning without informing me though I live in the ground floor apartment in the same premises and left the keys to the premises hanging on the gate. He left an extremely nasty review (which reduced my 5-star rating to 4.5.) loaded with untruths. He called me a pervert in his private message beneath his review because I told him that the underwear he gave me for washing reeked of smoke when I took them out of the laundry bag. He accused me of smelling his underwear and hence I must be a pervert.

I asked Airbnb Support if it was possible to take down this nasty review. Following is the response I got.

"Airbnb values free speech, our platform depends on transparent, honest feedback, even when that feedback isn't great.

We have a strict policy not to remove, censor or edit reviews, as doing so would jeopardize the reliability of our entire review system.

We only consider exceptions in the event of extraordinary cases where the content outright violates our guidelines, which XXX's review does not. The guest's review details her perspective, which is completely subjective.

While some reviews may be harsh, Airbnb is a third party who is not present during the reservation, so it is not up to us to judge the niceness, fairness, or truth of a review.

As much as I would like to help you more and remove the review, I am not able to do so."

This is how "supportive' Airbnb is!

Nordia0
Level 2

Wow!!! @Airbnb do better by your hosts that you claim to value.

Ann-Marie60
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

My dear I have been through hell with a guest that tried to scam me and posted the most horrid stuff about my place for revenge. This seems to be a frequent thing now sad to say 

We are losing our time, I think they do not even read this messages, this is a computer that give all responses automatically

Nordia0
Level 2

Exact situation! Because I had a guest checking in next day, I had to file the claim. Airbnb found in our favour and covered the damages because the guest would not pay.  But the guest wrote a totally fabricated review basically claiming she was living in filth her entire stay (although she did extend her stay). Still trying to get it removed. How people can be so cruel and vindictive , I cannot understand. 

The problem is that most CS would not even really take time to read the review that you would complain about.

I am just wondering how no one tagged Catherine Powell on this post.

Do you know what her handle is?

John6556
Level 5
Toronto, Canada

@Allie179 A new policy just came out. It's in the new features and policies at the Resource Center. You can go back as far as you want to have the bad reviews removed.

New policy effective Nov16 2022

A simpler way to dispute retaliatory reviews

Request removal of a retaliatory review, no matter how long ago it was posted.

By Airbnb on Nov. 16, 2022

2 min read

Updated Nov. 16, 2022

You can request removal of any retaliatory review, no matter how long ago it was posted. You’ll be able to flag reviews from guests who:

Commit a serious policy violation, like damaging your property or overstaying their reservation

Violate your house rules—for example, by having an unauthorized party or event at your place

https://www.airbnb.ca/resources/hosting-homes/a/a-simpler-way-to-dispute-retaliatory-reviews-552

https://www.airbnb.ca/resources/hosting-homes/a/ground-rules-for-guests-554