Sad farewell to AirBnB

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Sad farewell to AirBnB

Today is the day we say goodbye to AirBnB as hosts. Over three years ago we began hosting on this site and while there were issues, we were very happy with the guests who came our way. Since the arrival of Plus and the dramatic increase in hosts in our area, we went from 99% of bookings with AirBnB to our current state of 0%. That is despite being superhosts, etc. All of our bookings now come from other platforms and we are very pleased with the quality of guests and the reliability of their platforms, plus their telephone support if there is ever a problem. 

We will be staying as members as we like using AirBnB as travellers - good luck to everyone, thank you for your advice over the years and here are the top four things we have learned.

1. Be welcoming to your guests, remember they may be as nervous as you - they will appreciate a smile and warm welcome
  2. Don't undersell yourself as you will get the wrong type of guest
  3. Hosting in your own home is tiring so remember to take a break occasionally
  4. Try see your property/guest room from a guest's perspective - what would you change or do differently?
60 Replies 60

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 I'm sorry to hear that. I'm new (since October) and have appreciated your posts and advice. Can you describe more of what you mean by #2 (don't undersell yourself or you will get the wrong type of guest).  I hope you could remain here in some way to share some information about your new platforms and we could all discuss why the bookings are low.

Wishing you all the best!

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jennifer1351,

re. #2. It means don't lower your prices to such an extent that you attract a different type of Guest than the ones you feel are most suitable for your listing(s).

I also venture to suggest it's another coded way to suggest ignore 'Price Tips' which is often seems like computer generated or callaborated nonsense.

Jennifer976
Level 8
Calgary, Canada

Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you but glad it is on another platform.  I'm on Trip Advisor, Canada Stays & ABB and almost all of my bookings still come from ABB.  What other platforms are you on?

Jo13
Level 10
Durban, South Africa

@Gerry And Rashid

Ah, this is sad. I'm sorry things have turned out this way.

Thank you for all your help and your many contributions in the forums. I hope we still see you around here.

Go well!

Cheers,

Jo

Birgit0
Level 3
Long Beach, CA

I might be joining you.  Contrary to the initial selling point of providing true hosted experiences, Airbnb is inviting more and more commercial enterprises, i.e. special treatment for businesses that run under the guise of "Airbnb."  They arew making it harder and harder for the small time hosts, constantly changing the site and rules that are not in favor of hosts. 

When I started in 2015, I was booked out all the way to September, as of that year January.  Now, I am struggling to get a third of the bookings.  And I have no bookings at all past February.  

John232
Level 10
Bangor, United Kingdom

Like you I am considering leaving Airbnb but I am nearly fully booked through most of the year.  My reason is the new policy to exclude profile information about potential guests from the hosts.  In my view this is an insult to the welcome hosts extend to guests.

Can you let us know which other platforms are best for people who welcome gests into their own homes and treat them as if they are members of the family?

John N

Rachel877
Level 1
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Jerry and Rashid, I read your post with interest. I have just had Airbnb refund a guest who contact me last Friday at 2148 to say he was not coming. My check in to,e is 4-9pm, so he was late. I had agreed to a late check in beyond this as he said he had a work supper. This was not a problem until the snow arrived on Thu. The guest did not even try to travel until after 9pm by which to,e the trains weee all seriously delayed but still not cancelled. The consultant I spoke to last Friday night 10 mins after the guest finally contact me to say he was not coming agreed he should not get a refund. However, during the week I agreed to a 28% refund. However, without further consultation another Airbnb consultant refunded all the money from the booking saying the guest has now cancelled! I queried if Airbnb endorses hosts being abused and expected to sit around waiting until 10pm for guest to say they are not coming.  I also asked if I could cancel all my bookings next ti,e it snowed or rained so avoid waiting for guests who choose not to come. There is no host cover for bad weather or bad guests - so long and short WHAT OTHER HOSTING PLATFORMS ARE YOU CONSIDERING AS I FEEL COMPLETELYUNDERMINED AND UNDERVALUED ON AIRBNB. Thanks

@Rachel877

guests should pay travel insurance to cover such situations and not the host.

I think (not sure) guests can purchase travel insurance on VRBO

Guys, many thanks for this. I am at a loss with both my time - a wasted day and income. Compromise is good and  I offered a compromise to my customer but Airbnb completely disregarded me in overturning one other Airbnb ambassadors recommendation. I am looking now to move to another platform as I have been disrespected and not valued by Fernando at Airbnb.

Susan1481
Level 1
Bridgetown, Barbados

well Airbnb, are you hearing us?

Lyn-and-Gavin0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

@Gerry-And-Rashid0

Just wanted to say I am also so sorry to read this post as your contribution in the past has been invaluable.  You have helped me personally with queries too.   Totally undersand your rationale and I believe there are many other hosts that will follow suit.  Thanks for everything that you have done in the past (you will be missed),  I wish you every success in the future.  Thanks a million Lyn

I feel exactly the same, as we are having the same problems, plus they have asked us for one of our rooms to be in Air bnb plus but not the other 4. As a boutique hotel, with all the shared facilities for all 5 rooms and the same services for all 5 rooms why would you just have one room in the new system and the others out. It does not make sense. 

We will be leaving too. 

I agree, I will still stay a member to travel but will not host. 

Such a shame, they should have left it as it was. 

Amanda Blanch 

Oh andI forgot to add, we are having many more black profiles with no information asking strange questions, such as can 8 people be in each room (our rooms are for 2 people each). I have turned down 3 bookings in 2 days this week. 

The first year and even the second was great, 100 % response 5 out f 5 reviews etc and a superhost and now you can't even find us on the search. 

No bookings for this year at all, yet our website is booking really well. 

Such a shame. 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 I wish you the best of luck on the other platforms.

Roderick8
Level 9
Budapest, Hungary

What sales portals do you recommend?