Security of Guests - why does Airbnb not value Guest Security?

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

Security of Guests - why does Airbnb not value Guest Security?

This is very disappointing

Airbnb, many years and thousands of guests ago, advised me, for the security of my guests, to change the locks if a guest does not leave the keys. They advised me to put this in my Rules and to add a standard charge. They also advised me to charge a security deposit. Did all this.

In February a guest left and did not return all the keys. They were contacted (via Airbnb) and replied that they lost them.

We arranged for the locks to be immediately changed to protect the security of the next guests. A claim was lodged for the guest to pay/security deposit release.

Here we are in mid April and Airbnb has just told me the case is closed and the decision is final.  My previous advise from them, about 10 days ago, was the guest had agreed to pay.

This is madness. 

* Rules set according to Airbnb not honoured by Airbnb

* Security deposit useless

* Airbnb states a lock that has lost keys is not damaged. If it cannot ensure security, how is it functional?

* Guest agrees with Airbnb to pay and then Airbnb closes the case

* Airbnb "Ambassador" disappears. After sending information etc she requested, she says she will facilitate payment. She then ghosts

It is hard not to conclude that Airbnb does not care about the security of guests at all.  Frustrating and disappointing (but not surprising)

19 Replies 19
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Hugh0 

Hugh, it's not the fact the bloody keys disappeared, is it?

It's the fact that Airbnb will at every turn tell hosts how important we are, how they have our backs covered, how they have a security deposit in place to protect us, how they have a Resolution centre stacked to the gunnels with competent staff to help us in time of need, how they have dedicated contact options for us Superhosts, how they have in place this $1m Host Protection Scheme so that we can host with the utmost confidence that Airbnb are indeed our partners!!!

Airbnb leave no stone un-turned in telling us to leave things to them and host with confidence.

But by God, put them to the test and you find out there is no security deposit, and no way to access it. The Resolution Centre is staffed by personnel whose soul duty is to protect and minimise the company's liability to any host claims. Customer support is outsourced to an organisation whose staff have limited to no knowledge of the workings of the company and will simply close claims without any right to proper process. The $1m HPS is some sort of adjudicated intricacy that may or may not offer some sort of help dependent on the case worker you happen to get.

Company support, when you really need it, is in most instances a myth from start to finish Hugh, and that brings me to something I keep banging on about here for a long time. Don't expect it! Base your business around the premise that it doesn't exist, and that way you won't be disappointed when you don't get it!

Cheers........Rob

Absolutely Robin. You are 100% correct. It's not about the keys. Its about the total lack of support/follow up/acting in good faith/doing as promised/time wasting by Airbnb.

You are also correct about not expecting support. I don't have expectations, but I do have preferences. My preference is for Airbnb to give me what I am owed when I act to protect the security of guests. 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

After reading all the replys @Hugh0,  one has to wonder where is the quality assurance that all business plans have to have. I read most of these topics as a learning tool as I am a newbie host even though we have used Airbnb as guests in the past.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Laurelle3 

Laurelle, I may huff and puff here on the CC about Airbnb's treatment of their hosts but, after 6 years I am still here. I have 400+ reviews and I have had a wonderful  association with Airbnb over this past 6 years.

I seem to have in the main avoided the issues that we are faced with daily here on the CC but, I have the CC to thank for that. The mistakes and the mistreatment of others here have been a great learning curve for me, and I have been able to tailor my business to take advantage of the benefits while avoiding the problems. 

This is the beauty of the CC, I understand its primary role is to take some of the pressure off company support by sorting out many user issues before they get to the company, but what I have learned here has steered me away from lots of mistakes.

Laurelle, spending some time here will, I am sure, make you an outstanding host! You will have the experiences of many thousands of other hosts to draw on.

Don't look at this thread of @Hugh0's as a negative, learn something from it! 

Cheers........Rob

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Robin4 Thank you Robin for your advice, I will keep reading and learning to be prepared and try to avoid the mishaps that can occur.