Seeking Advice on Approaching Neighbors for New Vacation Rental

Zhe226
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Seeking Advice on Approaching Neighbors for New Vacation Rental

Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently closed on a home in Kailua Kona, and we're preparing to list it as a vacation rental. The property is a single-family home on a ~10,000 sqft lot. While we don't live in Hawaii, we do have a local emergency contact person. The property is already vacation rental licensed, and the previous owner used it as a vacation rental for years. There’s no HOA in our area.

We’re in our early 30s, and from what we’ve gathered, most of our neighbors are retired and don’t live there full-time, though there are a few full-time residents or tenants. The neighbors seem nice and generally keep to themselves, but we’d like to start off on the right foot.

I’m looking for advice on how to approach our neighbors and maintain good relationships with them. For example, should we be upfront about the vacation rental, or would that potentially bring unnecessary scrutiny? Additionally, we’re considering sharing our contact information with them, but we’re not sure if offering a small gift (like a gift card) might send the wrong message, as if we’re apologizing something in advance.

Any tips or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Zhe226 

Aloha from Arizona now. Haha  If the property is a legal Hawaii STR because we are used to being a tourist state you won't usually have the same neighbor problems as you do on the mainland.  In  Hawaii though we have an Ohana  (family) culture.  Best comparison would be a small town on the mainland, everyone knows everyone and respect is key.

I would suggest introducing you and the local manager you are using would be a plus .

Offer both contact in folrmatgion but offer don't just give it is considered respect to allow them the choice.

Since tourism is part of island life in most cases you are only contacted if you need to be contacted.

In Hawaii Gift Giving again isx just our island culture,  Introducing yourself gifts or thank you gifts are just normally the way we all act.

Gift Cards are nice and sometimes appropriate but because we do frequently gift we are not so focused on expense  As a matter of fact too expensive a gift for the moment can also be taken  as a sign of disrespect.

An introductory gift from someone on the mainland usually a really appreciated gift in Hawaii would be like candy or cookies from where your from that we usually can't get on  an  island.  To us that is someone saying hello and sharing their culture with us also.

Aloha Marie,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful advice! We really appreciate the insights and experience, especially about the family culture.

Regarding the neighbors who don’t live there full-time, do you think it would be better to leave a friendly letter introducing ourselves and providing our contact information when we’re on the island in a few weeks, or should we wait and try to catch them next time?

Thanks again, and have a great weekend!

@Zhe226 

Since the neighbors that don't live there full time are probably also not from the island, it will vary.  Some might be from the mainland but others might be Japanese, Filipino Korean all sorts of cultures lol.  Usually again if from another country a nice treat from where you are from is welcoming but usually they won't even notice your rental they are enjoying their visit,  So if they are present say hello if they aren't your next visit.  Another Hawaii standard even when I go home to visit is treats from Arizona.  Last visit was Prickly Pear treats no cactus in Hawaii.

@Zhe226 

This is a good definition

Omiyage translates as “souvenir,” but it doesn’t refer to things you buy for yourself as mementos from a trip. Rather, it means gifts you bring back for friends, relatives, neighbors and coworkers. Japanese immigrants who came to work on Hawai‘i’s sugar plantations in the mid-1800s brought their traditions with them, including the giving of omiyage. It is a practice many kama‘āina have adopted, even those not of Japanese descent. Giving omiyage is an expression of aloha, a way of showing gratitude and goodwill.

Got it, thank you for sharing your advice, and I hope to pay it forward by sharing my experiences in the future. All the best in your hosting journeys in AZ!