Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals

Maxine33
Level 7
Alexandria, VA

Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals

The current Airbnb regulations state that we have to allow Service and Emotional Support animals in our properties without question, unless there is a risk to the owner or others.  Furthermore, it states that we cannot even ask if an animal will be on the property.

I think this regulation needs to be changed, pronto!

For the record, I operate a pet-friendly Airbnb and I have a service dog.  Needless to say, I am a big fan of pets and support animals. With that being said, we as owners have the right to know if an animal is going to be on our property for a number of reasons.

1. Health and  wellbeing. If the traveler does not disclose they are traveling with a service animal and they arrive at the property only to find the host has life threatening allergies to animal hair, it leaves everyone in a pickle.  Had they disclosed upfront, a bad situation could have been avoided.

2. In this world where so many people are abusing the ESA designation (did anyone see the emotional support pig on the airplane?!), it is perfectly legal and reasonable for us to ask for documentation.  Property managers are allowed to ask for a something from doctor or a licensed therapist, we should be too. 

3. Suitability of property.  Some properties, for example, are not suited for an emotional support goat.  A single family on an acre of land great, maybe so.  But a condo in Manhattan, probably not.

4. Health and well being of future guests.  When people disclose they are traveling with a pet, i can make arrangements for housekeeping to "de-dander" the house so it is ready and allergen free for the next guest.  If we do not know an animal is on our property, then how can we protect our next guest?   In all of the years I have offered my home, I have only had one problem with a pet and it was with an undisclosed ESA that shed everywhere and the owners left it a mess.  I was fortunate that we had a full day to clean because it took that long to rid the house of the animal hair.  Usually we operate with same day turnarounds and normally would not have been able to address the pet hair before the next guest arrives.  Also, we have  special cover for the sofa for people with pets. Since we were not aware of the ESA until check-out, we were deprived of the opportunity to protect our home.

I could keep going on and on with my list here but I do not even know if @Airbnb reads these messages. 

In closing, I would like to respectfully ask that Airbnb reconsider this policy.  I am not suggesting we be as difficult as the airlines but people with service animals are give little ID cards from the organization that trained the them.  It is not to much to ask to see that card and to know in advance if an animal will be in our homes.

Thank you for reading this.   

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Maxine33 

As you own a service animal, it seems to me you are an expert on the topic.

So all the arguments sounds good to me.

I liked the example of the "emotional support goat." in a condo in Manhattan !

I guess nor the host nor the goat will be happy then..

@Maxine33 Traditionally, service animals have been selected for their temperament and rigorously trained. While they may still have behavioral or health issues in their lifetimes, service animals are expected to respond to commands and interact with humans in a consistent and predictable way. Just as crucially, the owners of service animals also undergo a training process. 

There is no such standard for emotional support animals or their owners. This entire concept is an abuse of the laws meant to make public facilities accessible to people with disabilities - as if to say "if that person in a wheelchair gets to bring a dog, then I should get to bring Brutus and Fifi."

Airbnb has done hosts a disservice and undermined the special status true service animals have earned by collapsing this vital distinction into a single policy. 

Unfortunately, I was just looking on the community center with related articles, such as this to my current situation.  I am fairly new at this game, and my 2 properties, should I say MY properties, one more time, as I am very much aware that this is surely a problem.  The way that airbnb, is treating, me, and telling me that I HAVE to accept, without discrimination, this so called service animal, without notification, without documentation, etc, in my home and make my home welcome to this animal, as if my home was not conducive to this, it has to be.  Forget the liability to my home, my neighbors, and in this case as it turns out to my husband.  We had a booking by a guest that disclosed the fact that they had brung a 110lb Dog, into my no pet home.  We found out, by they asked us to go there to show them something, as it is on a lake and involves a boat., they did not know exactly the time he would arrive, so I guess, they thought, we would never know.  Unfortunately, my husband knocked on the door which was a glass screen door, with door behind it open. This is FL, so it's warm, the dog pounced on the door, was taller than my 6' husband, groweled and barked at him, my husband, was taken aback, and glad the door held the dogs pounce.  They retrieved the dog, and took it upstairs, to my very expensive newly carpeted Bedroom area.  Then he went in, and asked "whats up with the dog".  First Lie, it's an epileptic service dog for my husband.  Husband is a Truck driver for Wal Mart.  Next Lie, No he's a companion dog, for my truck driver husband.  Flashed a card, of supposed service, my husband did not look at, you can get those anywhere, and , then the crap started, where we were told by air bnb that we as hosts, had no options, as it is airbnb's CARTE BLANCHE policy to service animals, even no pet homes.  This guest, pulled out all the stops, discrimination, etc.  I did not relent, there were even more infractions with this said stay with this dog, and I insisted that they had to leave with the pet, the next morning.  Then I received the Warning letter from airbnb, and found out that these pets have even more rights, according to their policy, than us the hosts, children, other rules than we may have in place for the safety and liability, and preservation, of our own homes.  You betcha there is something wrong here.  But I sure noticed, that it is just about to turn 2022, and this has all been voiced in beginning of 2021.  I agree without us hosts, there is no airbnb.  But they hide, as they hide alot of information from us, to protect their interest, certainly not ours.  And this is one of the big ones.  There is by far one common sense solution, if not more that they could use to make everyone satisfied.  There are plenty of pet friendly hosts, everywhere, that is 1.  2.,  Is this is not a necessity, this is a vacation, why are we having to adhere to a strict policy of airbnb's, when this is a vacation, there are many options, for people and their tastes.  They are not moving in.  They are staying, for a short period.  We do not have to accommodate something, that we bear full responsibility for in liability in both safety, and monetary, etc?  Common sense.  How do we get many of the people that feel the same as there must be many, as this is a year long thread, and mine is different, just started couple days ago.  That may get their attention, with results, that favor all.  Thanks, Tasia

Michelle2578
Level 2
Columbus, OH

Adding this to the discussion:  HUDAsstAnimalNC1-28-2020.pdf

According to this HUD guideline for compliance to the Fair Housing Act, Hosts should be permitted to request documentation for the claim.