Share the story of when you decided to host ‌

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Share the story of when you decided to host ‌

Keyring.jpg

Hello everyone, 

On a rainy evening in Edinburgh, I took the bus to my friend who had just bought his first home a few months ago.

Upon my arrival, he asked me to enter the premises quietly. Of course, I said!  It was then that he told me that he became an Airbnb host and was hosting his first guest!

He was the person that inspired me to start hosting as I also had an empty room where I stored lots of boxes and other junk!

I know that many of us have different reasons for having started hosting guests, which made me wonder what influenced you to start hosting? 

I really loved meeting people from around the globe, especially during the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, but also the help Airbnb offered me financially at the time. 

I look forward to hearing your stories!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

35 Replies 35
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is an amazing story @Laura2592! Firefly Cottage looks so beautiful and peaceful (as I have said many times!) 😆.

Will you be having any guests soon? 

-----

@Quincy yes we have guests pretty much constantly. Doing some shopping for the next group today. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's great to hear @Laura2592! I hope you get many more guests bookings 😃

-----

@Laura2592,  "One room school house." Love this code word idea.  Also like your During Your Stay intro. I have similar info in instant booking requirements, but people still tend to miss it. So might have to incorperate some of this in my During Your Stay intro. Firefly Cottage is in one part of the country I still have to visit. My husband and I have every intention of visiting the 13 colony area someday. I hear the Fall is absolutely beautiful in your neck of the woods. 

“It’s not where you go, it’s who you meet along the way.” Wizard of Oz
Maureen-and-Jackie-0
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

We decided to host when we found this lovely 5 bedroom townhouse. It had all the perfect things going for it. With a little reno we turned it into an Airbnb downstairs and now love hosting. Unfortunately due to COVID we had to shut down after only 6 months of operating, but started again last Novemeber and haven't looked back. We like to offer an experience, not just somewhere to stay for a few nights. So we give champagne on arrival and continental breaky. We can disappear if people want privacy or have a chat with those seeking it.  If you are ever on the Sunshine Coast of Australia look us up - JaynEm's. You'd be most welcome. Lovely shared 15m resort pool with beach type entryLovely shared 15m resort pool with beach type entry

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'd love to plunge into that swimming pool right now @Maureen-and-Jackie-0!

Do you get a lot of bookings around this time? 

-----

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Mornng @Quincy @Maureen-and-Jackie-0 @Cathie19 @Debra300 @Laura2592 

About five years ago we, well I, decided to move house. I'd promised Mike we would never move from our large victorian style but actually 1920s house. This young lady (with the ears) prompted the move.

IMG-20210411-WA0027.jpg

Here she is visiting our local forest.

We wanted more outdoor space for our human and other children.

It took forever to sell the old place (big house, small garden) but in the end we pitched up on our smallholding.

On move-in day I threw myself on the grass with the sheer joy of the space and rolled around like piglet in Winnie the Pooh.

There is an annexe to the house where the previous owner kept weaving looms

Screenshot_20210417-064647_Rightmove.jpg

and her dogs

Screenshot_20210417-064713_Rightmove.jpg

I realised immediately that the human and canine children would fill this space with toys and nonsense until it was such a mess they abandoned it...

So we had a bathroom put in and turned it to this

Screenshot_20210417-064840_Airbnb.jpg

and this

Screenshot_20210417-064905_Airbnb.jpg

It is small scale and unglamorous but we've had some fun and met some lovely people.

We're excited to host again in August but no bookings yet.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Helen0 
Your place is lovely, and that's such a sweet story! I especially love the horse photo, it's adorable seeing one from that perspective. 🐴 I'm sure she's enjoying her extra space 😊

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Thank you @Liv 

Now she has a friend!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This a sweet story indeed @Liv  @Mike-And-Helen0

Doe she have a name? 🐴

-----

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

@Quincy I'm actually staying at an Airbnb  now.  I love it. Its a somewhat rustic cabin on a river near Aspen.  So beautiful and cozy.  I have stayed in others after becoming a host, I'm trying, now that I am host to only stay in Airbnb's, not only do I get ideas for mine, but the extra space is always appreciated.  I have another stay coming up next week in Charlotte with a newer host, looking forward to it.

IMG_1716.jpg

This is the photo from the bathroom where I am now, its so beautiful!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This looks amazing @Michelle1851. I love how the bathtub is positioned so that you can enjoy the view :-). 

Are you on some sort of tour at the moment? 

-----

@Quincy 

The story of how Henry and I began hosting was a part of the Community Spotlight I did a while back. Here's the link~~ 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Community-Spotlight-Jessica-amp-Henry/m-p/950363

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ah yes, I remember @Jessica-and-Henry0! I just had another read 😊 

-----