Show us your projects and artworks!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Show us your projects and artworks!

Bhumika , recent post of @Holland6 's got me to thinking, how about a discussion thread....'What is your project'!

I am all the time working on something new but one project I was quite proud of, my eldest daughter has a few laying hens in her rear garden and she loves her chooks, almost treats them like children so I made her a wall hanging for her birthday. 

I got a sheet of form-board and drew out my design, went to the tile shop and got a heap of broken and left over tiles and away I went......

IMG20190224114618.jpg 

Each day it grew a bit further........

IMG20190224185115.jpg

IMG20190225192912.jpg

IMG20190227165639.jpg

Once I had all the pieces fitted I grouted it......

IMG20190305113603.jpg

And here it is hanging in her outdoor area........

IMG20190306140145.jpg

It was so well received, the only thing that stumped me was the egg! Impossible to make a mosaic egg so, I ended up with a river rock!

Cheers.......Rob 

[Title updated by Community Manager for  visibility]

19 Replies 19
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robin4 I wish I was artistic. 

@Mike-And-Jane0 

If you look at the second last shot of the grouted work Mike, you will see my attempt at a mosaic egg! The problem is hens have round egg laying apparatus and mosaics are a combination of flat surfaces. I was getting nowhere so I went to the local landscape supply depot, told the guy running it, I was looking for a single white egg shaped rock!

He looked at me like I was a complete nutcase and pointing out across the yard to a particular concrete bin said......"Mate, there's 150 tones of river rocks over there in that bin, if you can find just the rock you want, it's yours with my compliments"

We had a laugh, I gave him $1.00 which incidentally was the most profitable single river rock he had probably ever sold.

Cheers.......Rob

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

@Robin4 !!! WOW WOW and simply WOW!!!! Thank you for sharing this amazing topic idea and just as @Mike-And-Jane0 said, I wish I was this artistic too😍..

It is always great to see how you bring in such great ideas and artistic approach to our Community Center! I would also like to invite @Holland6 to this thread, as I am sure, he would be elated to see this piece of artwork and may be is thinking to create a mosaic for his potential listing too!

AMAZING as always Rob!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

That’s how it works, and serendipity,

is the catalyst to being creative ✔️

there in nothing you can’t do to wood, with a drill, jigsaw, sander, and a hammer.👀

could you imagine a stand up shower, with, a mosaic tile work or art.

Stay safe,
Lean into the wind gently

image.jpgimage.jpg
over 80% of the art on my walls, I have created, you can actually think of your rental,, as the canvas you are painting on, that’s what putting my air B&B together, has become for me.. one little step at a  time, as I add the colours, I enjoy creating it.

Stay safe,

71848654227__406752F3-C30A-4498-B7AC-494162D641B0.jpeg71848650952__8CF71999-0CD4-42AE-AE95-FFDBE10F361F.jpeg71848647748__EAF1B68A-DBED-484B-98E1-F5EA30A39571.jpeg71848640123__90EBAC53-5536-4BCA-BAAE-E42E05CFD2A7.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

here is something someone, I know will appreciate. @Robin4 

cut a fare size triangle, enough for clock, keys, wallet, glasses, documents, the list goes on.

I fixed one in a corner of each room.

I got the idea from my travel, nowadays when you check into a hotel, I noticed that as soon as you walk into room, they have these little corner units, or small shelve, I have dropped my keys and wallet on them more than a few times, and really enjoyed, never having to look around, or panic about my wallet, when travelling.

down side: when you place wood under shelve, to hold it in corner, you use a good carpenter glue, and screws if you like to make it a tad stronger, making it a permanent fixture. 
so if you go to remove shelve, you will take part of the wall with it,,,even that can be fixed though.🎱

thanks for the thumbs up. Y’all 

one day at a time.

Stay safe,
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Holland6 

Holland there is only two things you left out of that list......'A roll of duct tape and a tube of glue'!!

That mosaic wasn't my first. We bought this derelict property in 2009 and at the end of the rear verandah was this block wall on the property boundary so I thought....."Well, I can't make it any uglier" so I had a go at covering it up......

DSCN0969.JPG

DSCN0971.JPG

DSCN0976.JPG

I didn't really have a plan in mind except, I wanted it to be interactive, a combination of real and mosaic apple tree. 

But as far as the design was concerned, It just grew! ........ I just started at the bottom and finished at the top, and the wheels on the bus went round and round! 

DSCN0982.JPG

A lot of people commented on it and some asked me to do something similar for them, so I made a set of 5 interactive plant mosaics featuring different flowers which I ended up getting $800 each.  This was the first......

Interactive Aggi.png

So there you go Holland, you can always turn a hobby project  into something profitable.

Somewhere, in amongst all this, I manage to run a BNB. 

Cheers..........Rob

Gorilla glue, electrical tape.😁

I think you would like glowing stones, they make them now. Stones that glow in the dark.

yep, I know what you mean. And wow.IMG_0187.jpeg71437049737__1F16D075-8D2D-4E95-BF0E-91B38962495B.jpeg

Stay safe,
Holland6
Level 5
Burin, Canada

That’s what I’m talking about ❤️✔️

Stay safe,
Christine1615
Level 2
South Perth, Australia

Hi Robin, 🙋‍♀️ great art, well done

not too sure if everyone will know what a Chook is lol 😂. Your art will help them. 
My mother and grand mother were born in Albany.. I know Mount Barker well and the pastry shop 😁😋😋

Best wishes

Christine Stratton 

South Perth

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Christine1615 

Hi Christine, thanks for you lovely comments. 

Your last sentence is one that continues to cause me grief, the last instance being just yesterday!

There are two Mount Barkers in Australia!

Mt Barker google maps.png

Yours in Western Australia with around 2,800 residents and mine in the Adelaide Hills of South Australia which has 43,000 residents!

5 times over the last 4 years I have received a message from a guest who I was expecting to arrive at any minute telling me they had just discovered they had booked the wrong Mt Barker......they were searching WA Mt Barker listings and ended up being displayed, (and booking) mine in SA.

This causes enormous frustration both for the guest and me the host.

I know the CC moderators do not like personal messages displayed publicly here on the CC but I have removed any personal information and I am including it here because you can grasp the significance of arriving in a town to check-in for the evening only to find your booked listing is 1,700 Kms away.....I hope the moderators will allow me a bit of latitude here

Wrong state yet again.png

I'm sure I am not the only one this has happened to, it must be happening on a regular basis where there are locations with the same name in different states.

I am not sure if the fault lies with Airbnb by displaying an outlier listing in an area search, or that the guest has simply typed in Mt Barker without designating a state.

What ever it is Airbnb need to prompt guests location clarification when a search is undertaken where there are towns with the same name in different locations.

Hope all is good over there in Perth Christine, you have been getting some lovely weather over there this year, just wish you could channel a bit of it here to us. All the best Christine.

Cheers........Rob 

Adorable!! @Robin4 

Sarah5000
Host Advisory Board Member
Adelaide, Australia

Looks great I would like to learn 

Sarah
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah5000 

The main attribute Sarah, you have to be good at smashing ceramic tiles.....a good hammer and a strong right arm.

After that it all just seems to fit into place!!!

Sarah, I would love to do that as a coffee workshop one day, bring down some small backboards, a heap of tiles, adhesive, grout, a few hammers and let participants have a go at it. I am sure the results would be eyeopening.

It's amazing how smashing something brings out the creativity! It's a human nature thing. Unlike painting, sewing, pottery, It's almost like, you have broken something and want to use all your creative powers to make it better again!  

See you soon.

Cheers........Rob

@Bhumika    @Mike-And-Jane0