So are we going to talk about this disturbing article in Bloomberg?

So are we going to talk about this disturbing article in Bloomberg?

This showed up in my feed when I was checking the stock price. I'm posting here on the closed Host Circle so the discussion isn't out in the general public.

We, as hosts, have been shouting about the safety issues and Airbnb not doing a proper job of verifying host and guest identities for years. Now I'm reading that one of the groups that were laid off were the very people who were working on Trust and Safety?

What is the corporate response to this?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-06-15/airbnb-spends-millions-making-nightmares-at-live-...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9688361/Airbnb-secret-black-box-team-forks-50-million-year-...

47 Replies 47

I did it for Instagram when someone stole my name and made a clone account. I think it was a kid because it happened right after I taught a summer class for gifted kids. Instagram asked me to upload a photo of me holding up my ID or passport next to my face. Someone actually looked at it and once verified, shut down the clone account.

But Airbnb approved my photo (the host required verified ID) in seconds. Not a chance that anyone looked at it. I could have held up a cereal box and I think they would have assumed it was correct.

The host I cancelled wanted me to send her photos of my ID and my face, along with a payment and a signed contract. All I could think of is identity theft. Since they acknowledged I was a long-term user (heck - I had years more reviews than she had) I would have been happy meeting someone at the door and showing my ID before getting the keys. But nope - wanted to communicate outside the platform then was offended I reported it as my reason for cancelling.

Now - with this article, I'm giving serious thought to going back to hotels for a while for my own travel.

@Christine615 WOW !!! Thank you for sharing.   I have NOT had any problems like this but, I have been complaining to Airbnb about the need to have host know more about the guests.    I just wrote this today.   

With the change in the users of Airbnb - we the community and Airbnb need to take this more serious.   

Asking for Video:

The other day I had a potential guest (they had not booked the room) ask if they could send a friend to take video of my place so they could "get the vibe" of my place before they booked it.  

My response was No but, if you book the room then we speak and  I can do a FaceTime.  But really I was like WHAT??  How could a stranger who I know NOTHING ABOUT ask me to have another stranger come into my house and take video of my home?  I almost said yes, if I can have a friend of mine come to  take video of you.   🙂    Has anyone else had this request?   Is this normal?  

I have felt the landscape of Airbnb changing but, this is a new one.   I know many people are renting out their whole place so people seem to be open to what I deem improper request.  ESPECIALLY since as a HOST WE KNOW NOTHING about the guests before they book the place.    

I started using Airbnb when it was more about cultural exchange and international visitors coming to my home.  They had reviews, I knew the country they were from etc.  Now with the new landscape and people just coming to the community,  

How do I as a host get to know something about the person who will be visiting and living in my home?  

I feel like there should be more information shared upfront  - just like the reviews.     

@Michele1348  Yes, I've always had lovely guests who understood what Airbnb was about. I'm been closed for over a year due to Covid, but from all the reports I read, there is a whole new influx of guests who are completely clueless and can't think beyond their own needs and wants.

I would have been sorely tempted to reply something like you said you felt like doing. "Can I send a friend to your house to video you so I can get your "vibe" before accepting your booking?"

@Sarah977   You are soo right about the "new influx"   Thank you!   Then I'm not crazy   😀  

@Christine615  - to your point -  I've had such wonderful experiences but, there is something different in the air now and Airbnb needs to listen more closely to the hosts.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Christine615 I saw the BBC version of this story. I just hope that if bad experiences are hitting their bottom line then Airbnb will finally take action. Sadly it is all too easy to preach that they care but if profit is at risk then Airbnb may finally screen guests (and hosts) properly.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Not that I would ever aspire to defend Airbnb, but I'd have to believe that with millions of active hosts and guests, it's inevitable that there will be all sorts of unsavoury, even tragic happenings, and a real challenge to prevent it. Probably just plain impossible. Although attempting to hide it is pretty dubious IMO. 

Still, I seriously doubt Airbnb is the only booking platform that's plagued with this. Booking.com, for example, has very little protections against this sort of thing. Both ways. They don't vet the hosts much, and they certainly don't vet the guests. In fact, on booking.com, everything is instant book, and both hosts and guests are obliged to accept whatever they get. Their customer support is abysmal, and they assume no responsibility for anything. We quit them long ago, just for that reason. 

I've yet to receive a booking from an "exemplary" guest on VRBO, for example. Every booking has been somewhat "undesirable" so far. And VRBO doesn't deliver even 1/4 of the bookings Airbnb does, which implies at least, that a far higher percentage of VRBO bookings are "something less than ideal".

Even now, with the rapid decline in guest quality many hosts are experiencing through Airbnb, at least 30% are still rather "ideal" guests. I now count that as a blessing in these times.

It never used to be that way. But now, there's millions in the pool.. and that's inevitably going to incubate problems, with murky relief. 

Still, Airbnb could do a lot more vetting, by simply being a bit smarter about it, and giving hosts more tools to prevent "bad" guests, along with actually enforcing penalties against such guests, instead of blindly finding in their favour so often. 

At the risk of being repetitive, you can't rely on the platforms to watch your back. It's not their core interest. >You< have to be vigilant about who's booking, and not be afraid to scare them off if there's any doubt. 

Watch your back. Prevention is always the best cure. Unfortunately, it's your problem to cure. 

Diddo what you said Elaine try the others and you will be back Air bnb uses credit card and most bad people dont have their own credit cards. But they can still book with anothers credit card if they have the proper info. Cant do background checks on all guest and host.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

It's hard to know what to say. I read the article yesterday.   But weird stuff can happen anywhere - Uber and Lyft have been dealing with similar problems, but those have been more in the news. 

One time I was driving back from the grocery store, and I got a text message. I pulled over to the side of the road to read the message. While I was stopped, with my engine running, someone jumped into the back of my car saying "are you my Uber?"  . Got the fright of my life !    Also, I had the dog in the back.   I feel the person had probably been drinking. Who gets into the back of a car with a dog on the back seat, thinking it's an Uber ?

But ever since, I make sure my doors are locked when I drive.  Also, ride share companies are a lot more careful now to send the driver info, photo, make and model of car, license plate etc etc.

I'm very glad, sometimes, that I have a locked door between myself and my guests. I've heard raised voices at times, and it really made me feel uncomfortable. 

I've only ever booked an Airbnb as a guest one time - and that was cancelled last year, due to Covid.  But, actually, I booked a women-only home share.   

I’ve had people come and ask if I’m their Uber. One woman was killed, I think when she called an Uber after drinking at a Bar and hopped in the wrong car. 

But Uber sends you the make and model of the car, the driver’s name and face, snd I think the drivers license. You can send the info to a friend just in case. Lyft is the same. 

Airbnb hides the majority of that info and now I’m thinking it’s because they don’t actually collect it.

when I book a hotel or a car I don’t get the keys without presenting a valid ID. 

There is an ugly habit in some corporations to calculate the cost of paying off a liability rather than fix the problem. In what universe does Airbnb think it will survive if it remains solely responsible for vetting users but the doesn’t. I’m sure those people’s families would have preferred their loved ones over a payoff.

Airbnb can start by kicking off all the users who aren’t legally registered. In my town that’s estimated to be 2/3rds of the inventory.

@Christine615  To me, the question is what passenger info is sent to an Uber/Lyft driver ?  We know Airbnb guests have access to a lot of information about hosts, but the reverse isn't remotely true. 

I set up my Uber account quite a long time ago, and I can't recall what verifications it required. I know I don't currently have a photo in there, but I do have phone and email. 

@Christine615 

I agree with you that removing unlicensed hosts from the platform is necessary, and desirable.

They are not only operating illegally, they are not contributing to the systems they use, including local TOT supported infrastructure. When they whine about the cost, paperwork and process of getting legal, I am not particularly impressed.  

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Christine615  Interestingly, this article as well as this one from Fast Company have had a positive effect on the stock:  https://apple.news/AsFZhY6vTThGS2nShB2td6A   Why?  Because the article shows that the company has systems in place for dealing with the unexpected.

Cynical Wall Street would never blame a company for firing a money cannon to protect its reputation.  I admit to feeling more reassured than horrified by the revelations in this article, and agree with @Mary419 that the biggest downside will be the scammers who come out of the woodwork to make claims.

Listing verification is ongoing, I believe.  I would like to see stricter hosting standards, but that’s unlikely at a time when their focus is to attract as many hosts as possible.

It’s business as usual in Corporate America!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I think this story sheds a lot of light on the attitude of Airbnb when it comes to reimbursing hosts for damages. 

The little guy, who just gets frustrated and disappointed that the damage claim has been rejected, is blown off, because Airbnb doesn't foresee any bad press in relation to the case, aside from them grousing on forums and social media.

The damage money is saved for the cases where the user is not about to let it go, hires a lawyer, threatens to go to the press, etc.

I think, what bothers me most is that based on the article Airbnb put its need to increase revenue (hence why I'm saying this on the private host channel not a public one) one 14% service fee at a time, over the health and safety of the hosts and guests. An absurd business model is one in which it thinks it can hold all the cards indefinitely when the hosts own the inventory. 

I was in New York before pandemic and called for an Uber to get back to the airport.  The response was fast. I was chatting with the driver about random stuff and he said, "Did you notice how fast you got a response from drivers? It's because you were from out of town and had five star reviews. Hardly anyone in New York has them."

There you go. He got information on me before he answered the call. I got information on him when he answered the call and had the option to cancel. I have had Uber drivers cancel (probably a race issue) and you know what? I don't care. I don't want to be in a racist's car and I'll wait for a decent human being to pick me up. I check the license plate and ask the driver for their name and match the photo I get before i get in.

I have to ask why $50 Million dollars and a dismembered body isn't a wake up call that everything hosts have been asking for needs to be a priority.

@Christine615  exactly. When Airbnb began hiding the guest's photo before booking and said it's because of racism, I immediately thought about how dangerous it is.

It is better to be declined before booking than to be attacked and insulted at arrival.