So are we going to talk about this disturbing article in Bloomberg?

So are we going to talk about this disturbing article in Bloomberg?

This showed up in my feed when I was checking the stock price. I'm posting here on the closed Host Circle so the discussion isn't out in the general public.

We, as hosts, have been shouting about the safety issues and Airbnb not doing a proper job of verifying host and guest identities for years. Now I'm reading that one of the groups that were laid off were the very people who were working on Trust and Safety?

What is the corporate response to this?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-06-15/airbnb-spends-millions-making-nightmares-at-live-...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9688361/Airbnb-secret-black-box-team-forks-50-million-year-...

47 Replies 47
Melissa1573
Level 2
Trinity, NC

I recently contacted Airbnb urgent support when I was notified by AC workers of underage, not authorized people, passed out young man at our place. To date 5 days later still no assistance. Multiple asks for information then passed to the next person, 4 days of nothing, then another request for information, then message of 2 days off will contact when I return. Those guests are now gone and we’ve had to make $6,400 repairs to replace AC. Pay excessive clean rates and I can’t get response. I’m so disappointed. How do you all handle disruptive guests. They lied on their request and weren’t 25. Airbnb now says I have to request ID myself…

Request ID before you accept booking, especially when they do not have reviews. Some when I ask for ID, the conversation stops. My daughter who is 29, told me people create a profile from their Facebook login, that's why the names are fake. When checkin g in to a hotel, ID is requested, so why not when checking a stranger into your home?

I have a different issue. I’m a public figure and I will not, under any circumstance, send a photo of my ID to a host unless I can redact information because I’ve been a victim of identity fraud and we all know that Airbnb does not vett its hosts. But I’m perfectly happy to show an ID at checkin.

I have only once cancelled a reservation because a mysterious absentee “superhost” who I now suspect is a fake used a “property manager” who was not disclosed on the listing to ask for money and a signed lease and contact info outside of the platform for a weekend rental this fall. He had no profile and no reviews. When I expressed concern about communication outside the platform the “superhost “ suddenly reappeared giving me a cell phone to call but warning me she was so busy she would be hard to contact.  All kinds of alarm bells went off since Airbnb has already been cited for listings with fake hosts using stock photos as their bio pic. 

Airbnb took so long to get back to me that I would have fallen outside of the 48 hour refund window. Then the host became irate that I reported the behavior as my reason for canceling. 

The “anybody” can be a host issue is becoming unreal. Airbnb is now offering $525 for any host I get to sign up. It’s a system ripe for fraud.

I used to think it would take a rape or murder before they would put safety measures in place but apparently that’s been happening for years. And their response is to lay off the experienced team and outsource customer service?

So far I’ve trusted my gut on who can rent my place. But I worry how long I can host without better measures in place, especially for guests new to the platform. And I’m opting for hotels when hosts feel suspicious.