So only 5% of superhosts will get the superhost relief fund!

Bob40
Level 10
Montevarchi, Italy

So only 5% of superhosts will get the superhost relief fund!

After an estimated 5% of hosts being entitled to the 25% payment, which turned out to be 12.5% anyway, it's now clear that about the same miserably low percentage will benefit from the superhost relief fund. Can I suggest to Airbnb that instead of releasing upbeat PR stories, they keep quiet? Why raise hosts' expectations at a time when we're badly in need of income? It's just sailors' promises!

89 Replies 89

@Donald28lets say they decided to increase the budget to 10% of their shiny new 2 billion dollars - we are partners after all! That would still only be in the region of $250 but much better than nothing, the current amount of "relief".

Jonathan1257
Level 5
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

@Stephanie  It’s not rude at all. Your CS are clueless. Have spoken to them for weeks about two canx due to covid. CS seem to think I’m talking about the relief fund and tell me to keep waiting. No matter how many times they are told that they are mixing it up they stubbornly continue. Have no interest in the relief fund. As for being a super host it proved to be worthless when calling Airbnb. The final nail in the coffin was being told by CS that if you press the button to canx you lose any refund, even though guests wrote me mails about govt restrictions and that they weren’t able to travel. Have now left Airbnb so have no need to speak to CS again.  

@Stephanie@Liv@Stephanie @Bob40 , @Helen3 

Hi Liv-

Thanks for attempting to give us some clarity, regarding these programs, whose intention, I have to believe were good.

In an effort for transparency, perhaps, Airbnb would consider releasing two simple charts,  three headings: number of hosts. total dollar amount granted.  state/country. By using this tool,  the sheer magnitude of aid and number impacted could be broadcast.  In the US, the SBA,  is effectively issuing graphic to communicate the magnitude of monies granted for the EIDL.  

https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/2020-04/EIDL%20COVID-19%20Loans%204.20.20.pdf  

In terms of any future program,  can the team, now admittedly smaller, use the model of the T&C's, which are very detailed,  to articulate the specific parameters of future programs to remove potential "subjectivity"? 

Currently, I think most hosts are struggling with how is host "most in need"  being determined for the Superhost grants.

Would it seem reasonable to argue hosts the hardest hit states/countries would suffer the most?   Should priority #1 be to assist US hosts in-NY, NJ, MA, MI, IL and CA..?**  Similarly to those abroad?  How are we helping those who host in Italy, one of the hardest hit regions.??   

On the outset, it would seem simply calculating who has lost the most bookings /earnings would solve this questions, ?  However, like the US, SBA Covid 19, PPP program, this approach is riddled with issues, as we've seen demonstrated in the US,   the funds are not reaching  those small businesses most in need. 

For those hosts that receive support,  if you are personally offended by the amount you received by either program, I ask that you please return it, so that is may be granted to another host. 

A

***Last updated May 13 at 6:45 p.m. ET...Livescience.com

At least 27,409 of those COVID-19 deaths occurred in New York,

9,714 in New Jersey,

5,141 in Massachusetts,

4,714 in Michigan,

3,791 in Illinois

So, 

2,934 related deaths reported in California.

AnnaMaria128
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi Liv

As a super host and an Airbnb Plus Host, with only one listing which is my only income. Times like this makes it very difficult.  As you have also blocked all bookings since March, which I fully understand under the circumstances.  We cannot host anyone even on long bookings at the moment and that has been extended again now till the 1st of June.  

The grant as you said is mainly for those who have been with Airbnb for a long period of time and for super hosts who are most hit.  Invitations end Mid May.  So since I have not received any email, means I am not one of the lucky ones.  I hope that whoever got an invite is someone who really needs it. 

Life these days isn't easy, and hopefully, things will get back to some normality soon.

It would have been amazing to be chosen, but I suppose its the pick of the straw. 

everyone stay safe and look on the bright side 

And yet, there are still so many of us in the US who have received absolutely nothing. 😞  I'm seriously re-thinking my Airbnb participation.

I would too if it wasn't the ONLY STR platform that gets me bookings. I have tried all the others and only airbnb gets me business. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What platforms have you used @Donald28 ?

There are very few types of accommodation and destinations where you can't either get direct bookings or use local platforms, advertise on your local tourist board websites, or partner with third parties to attract bookings.

Lots of people here in the UK successfully use FB, their own websites and a range of other listing platforms.

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Bob40 I got $35 for a reservation worth over $700. Not sure why they are bothering.

@Gillian19that's 5% - ridiculous!!!

Same here! I have been on the phone discussing with several different case managers. They are still working on my case. I argued that I should have received a lot more. They are taking their sweet time, I suppose they are hoping that I will give up. Well, I won't. 

I honestly dont know how you can even call CS and argue with them?! That's such a fruitless venture. They could give 2 sharts about how much money you think you should have gotten. There's a huge disconnect between airbnb the company, their CS people and the hosts (who afford them the opportunity to make all this money). The frustration I'm met with during each annoying call to CS is just not worth a few bucks they MIGHT throw my way IF they eventually agreed with my reasoning. 

Um. Anyone you know get 

overpaid? 

Hi!Forget yup forget  the superhost fund not even receiving the promised 25 percent. More like 5 percent maybe. Completely without explanation. Obviously I haven't received a SH grant invitation but maybe you can understand why I haven't even raised the issue. Perhaps airbnb can have someone correct the consistently absurd accounting  of the payments made to me under the program. I'm grateful for the pledge but so far very cynical of the execution. If the issue is rushed faulty accounting I suppose that would be understandable, only there haven't been any over payments only little to no promised assistance.  Consistently. No errors to my benefit, all miscalculations so far drasticly low payment errors depriving me of assured operational assistance. 

Latest round. $66 on what they say is nearly $2000 in booking cancelations. Unbelievable. 

I'm a superhost who hosted over 500 stays. Not being supported by airbnb as of yet. promise and assurances not kept. This pandemic will end but as far as I'm concerned airbnbs legacy of support and the  fulfiilled promises or lack thereof will always be remembered. Yeah a grant would be nice but unfortunately one can't worry about a special gift while veing denied the promised support guaranteed to all hosts.

I almost wish you never made the pledge Airbnb. Feels like the Make A Wish Foundation promised  a Disneyland vacation to a kid with terminal cancer to  ease the pain.  Then sends the kid a check for a  dairy queen for a free softserce icecream instead. That's how this feels to me.  Like the ultimate FU and a perhaps a humiliation that ends my.business relationship with.airbnb permanently. As it stands now very likely. 

I just don't have much faith in Airbnb today as I lay awake with insomnia thinking about broken promises. And a disregard for a loyal host. Review my stats and written reviews. And here I am and it feels like a baseball bat size shafting. I'm hurt, disalusioned and in awe of PR vs a true sincere offer of assistance to partners. Again. I pray this is all a misunderstanding. Please have someone positioned to investigate and address my concerns  

Shirley432
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

I got nothing - lost bookings totalling $19,600.

Hi @Shirley432 forget superhost  fund not even receiving the promised 25 percent. More like 5 percent maybe. Completely without explanation. Obviously I haven't received an invitation  tobto S HmH grant maybe yoh can understand why I haven't even raised the issue. Perhaps airbnb will correct the consistently absurd accounting  of the payments made to me under the program. I'm grateful for the pkedge but so far very cynical of the execution. If the issue is rushed faulty accounting I suppose that would be understandable, only there haven't been any over payments only little to no promised assistance.  Consistently. No errors to my benefit, all miscalculations so far drasticly low payment errors depriving me of assured operational assistance. 

Latest round. $66 on what they say is nearly $2000 in booking cancelations. Unbelievable. 

I'm a superhost who hosted over 500 stays. Not being supported by airbnb as of yet. promise and assurances not kept. This pandemic will end but as far as I'm concerned airbnbs legacy of support and the  fulfiilled promises or lack thereof will always be remembered. Yeah a grant would be nice but unfortunately one can't worry about a special gift while veing denied the promised support guaranteed to all hosts.

I almost wish you never made the pledge Airbnb. Feels like the Make A Wish Foundation promised  a Disneyland vacation to a kid with terminal cancer to  ease the pain.  Then sending the kid a coupon for a free soft serve instead. Philanthropic no... Misleading PR yes.

That's how this feels to me.  Like the ultimate FU and a perhaps a humiliation that ends our business relationship permanently. I just don't have much faith in Airbnb today as I lay awake with insomnia thinking about broken promises. And a disregard for a loyal host. Review my stats and written reviews. And here I am and it feels like a baseball bat size shafting. I'm hurt, disalusioned and in awe of PR vs a true sincere help for your partners. Again. I pray this is all a misunderstanding. Pleasr Airbnb have  someone positioned to investigate and address my concerns . Guessing my vocal complaints will remove me from the superhost grant if it even exists. I hope this is an error, because if you just kicked me while down and the fund distribution is questionable this I can not forget or not raise at the appropriate time to every and any interested in nvestigative organization. Jouralists, regulatory agencies and most importantly social media. 

I've given many guests free andlow cost stats primarily formedic reasons. I've reimbursed two South koreanskids$300 after they were ripped off by a crooksdxar service. But if someone cheats me out a a nickle I just can't rest without justice. I will obsess and if I'm wrong I will pursue a relentless campaign to inform anyone and everyone private sector, journalists, and Twitter and YouTube citizens in my persuit of justejust and answers. I'm infuriated. So F$$$ing infuriated. Is it obvious. Anger inspires me so that's good. Because I know there are true answers. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Simple solution to get all of us Hosts & Guests back on track, unblock our calendars & let people share their love in times of need.

Countries economies have to get back on track & there are those of us who have moved on from complete LOCKDOWNS, Europe are also in talks to open borders, here in New Zealand people are travelling across the country.

We have democratic rights regardless of where we live.

Governments are finally having to go back to open Parliament which is where all the stupid "RULES" we are all currently subjected to have been coming from.

Time to move on & open up life as we used to know it before the disorderly behaviour entered our lives & countries.