So only 5% of superhosts will get the superhost relief fund!

Bob40
Level 10
Montevarchi, Italy

So only 5% of superhosts will get the superhost relief fund!

After an estimated 5% of hosts being entitled to the 25% payment, which turned out to be 12.5% anyway, it's now clear that about the same miserably low percentage will benefit from the superhost relief fund. Can I suggest to Airbnb that instead of releasing upbeat PR stories, they keep quiet? Why raise hosts' expectations at a time when we're badly in need of income? It's just sailors' promises!

89 Replies 89
Bob40
Level 10
Montevarchi, Italy

Thanks @Liv for taking the time to reply. Since I wrote that 5% of superhosts would be invited, I've learned that there are actually 750,000 superhosts, over twice the number I originally guessed.

So just 2% of superhosts will be invited!

And yet we're supposed to be partners. So why not make more of your new 2 billion dollars available in superhost compensation? The budget for compensation is less than 1%!!!

And yes, I know that we have until mid-May for all the invitations to go out, but that's in just 2 days time! I've lost over 10,000 euro (about $11,000) due to cancellations and so far haven't received a cent.

May I remind you that this shambles could have been avoided with cancellation insurance? We don't know what's going to happen in the future, which is why we insure our cars and our homes. The travel sector has already suffered two major blows in the last 20 years, 9/11 in 2001 and the market crash in 2008. The UK travel market was hard hit last year due to (unfounded) fears about Brexit leaving people stranded with no cash and no transport. Holiday cancellation insurance would have meant all hosts receiving their deposits - and even Airbnb keeping its commissions!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Helen3 @Sarah977 and @Bob40 ,

Thanks for sharing your concerns and your frustrations in a calm and methodical manner. We really appreciate your constructive approach despite the obvious concerns you have. 

The latest information I have regarding demographic split is inline so far with what you're expressing @Helen3 . 10,000 invites have gone out of the 15,000 planned - 65% of those have been outside of the states (or 35% have been in the US.) Though this may appear that US is being favoured, geographical demographic is not an eligibility criteria.

We have updated the article on the SH relief fund as of yesterday if you would like to have a look here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/answers-to-your-questions-about-the-superhost-rel...

I know there has been concern that some eligible SH have not yet been invited but there is still another 5k invites to go out yet. It's also a difficult one but even a $17million fund cannot serve all of our Superhosts and the pot will run dry as those most in need claim on their invites.

As a general note to all on the CC, I imagine those that have already received the grant or are in the process of it are unlikely to share their stories here because it may seem crass when there are clearly those that did not receive it here. 

As always, I thank your for your constructive way of discussion and general CC etiquette! 

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Hello again @Stephanie , I believe the $17m budget was set before the company got its $2bn cash injection, so wouldn't it be a smart move to increase the relief fund and share it with more than 2% of its "partners"?

We're the ones who do the work and who've ended up with nothing due to the company's lack of planning and forethought.

Forget superhost fund not even receiving the promised 25 percent. More like 5 percent maybe. Completely without explanation. 

Latest round. $66 on what they say is nearly $2000 in booking cancelations. Unbelievable. 

Jonathan1257
Level 5
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

Another crap admin reply. Never received any 12.5%, just fobbed off by customer service. Silly games, silly videos and never a business solution. We work part 2....

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Jonathan1257 ,

I understand you are frustrated but there's no need to be rude here on the CC. Out of interest, I noticed you are not a Superhost - did you review your eligibility for the Superhost relief fund? https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/answers-to-your-questions-about-the-superhost-rel...

Otherwise, I think you may be referring to the Covid reservations refund which is a separate topic. Let me know if you need help making a new topic for your discussion.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Hi @Stephanie , good to see you're still following this.

You don't question my estimate that 98% of superhosts won't receive a penny. So it is just a PR exercise, isn't it?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Bob40 ,

I wouldn't say $17 million is a PR exercise, especially as we have just lost 1900 members of staff the world over to ensure company has a future. I can understand those not receiving the invite feel dreadful but as mentioned, it is just not possible to give 100% of superhost the grant.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

@Stephanieto you or me, 17 million would be untold riches. To a company that's just got in 2 billion, it's 0.85%!

Not even 1%!!

Hence my request in another message to increase the budget. Of course it's possible.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Bob40 ,

Once the existing fund is divvied out we will be announcing additional programmes to support hosts. This is looking like end of May for announcing (that's also when we think all invites will have been addressed by eligible Superhosts.) I know it may seem like the end of for host support but rest assured, there's more coming! I will be very happy to share the details with you when I have them in hand.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Hello again @Stephanie and thanks for your replies.

However this sounds like yet more worthless promises. We were told we'd get 25% of cancelled bookings only to find a tiny proportion actually got 12½% or less.

Then there's the relief fund, which ends tomorrow and applies only to a handful of superhosts.

Now you say there'll be more programmes, well excuse me if I don't hold my breath! 🙂

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I appreciate your skepticism and that you continue to be respectful with your comms @Bob40 - I'm sorry I can't give you some solid information on these things but appreciate you honestly sharing your feelings and thoughts.

Thanks

-----

@Stephanie is TRYING to be convincing at telling us that it's raining when really it's just airbnb peeing on our leg again. Steph... give it up girl. I know it's your job to try to quell the uprisings here but you're just not convincing enough. Even you don't believe when youre telling us. 

Forget superhost fund not even receiving the promised 25 percent. More like 5 percent maybe. Completely without explanation. 

Latest round. $66 on what they say is nearly $2000 in booking cancelations. Unbelievable. 

I'm a superhost who hosted over 500 stays. Not being supported by airbnb as of yet promise and assurances not kept. This pandemic will end but as far as I'm concerned airbnbs legacy of support and the  fulfiilled promises or lack thereof will always be remembered.

Actually it IS possible to give all superhosts part of the grant. Simply divide it equally amoung the superhosts regardless of your perceptions of their "neediness", of the amount of their listings, of the length of time theyve been a superhost et etc etc. Airbnb should have taken the entire amount and just given each SH an equal portion of that. So what if it's only $5 or so?! At least it's fair and hosts don't feel like they've been overlooked and discounted.