So proud of myself

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

So proud of myself

I host remotely and have never been able to figure out how to provide guests with special snacks, drinks, flowers, or other welcoming touches.

Finally think I've hit on it - I had these little note pads made up.  They cost $1.45 each.  I'm getting pencils too, also with @Diagonair stamped on them.

Aren't they adorable?  :):):)

Diagonair_note_pad.jpeg

51 Replies 51
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72 

I love resourcefullness, those people whos minds are constantly trying to find ways to improve themselves. Good on you Ann!

I settled on cards I send to overseas guests when I know they are having a bithday......

IMG20170403210613 c.jpg

They all seem to like it!

I am hoping this thread of yours will give us all some ideas Ann. Thanks for starting!

Cheers......Rob

Love this, @Robin4!  I bet they all really love it.  It reminds them of their wonderful trip, and I'm sure for some of them it was the only time they'd ever go to Australia.  There should be a special Super Super Host designation for you, Rob.  🙂

@Ann72  I like them! Very tasteful and useful. Are you using a different color for each of your houses?

@Robin4 . You get people's mailing addresses? It has never occurred to me to ask for this information much less their birthdates.

Around here, it is illegal for stores to give out disposable plasticbags. I have considered tote bags, but that might enourage people to buy food and use my kitchen, so I nixed that idea completely!

@Susan151 You always make me laugh!  And yes, one color for each house.  Girl, I am nothing if not color-coordinated.  🙂

@Susan151 I've got it.  You want people to go out to eat - they're going to need toothpicks.  You can get 100 boxes for $36.00 - 36 cents a box:  https://www.myweddingfavors.com/personalized-toothpicks.html

@Ann72 . That is hysterical!!!! But my listing is not in Georgia. Trying to imagine picking out that baked cod from your teeth.

Oh!!! I could have homemade toffee in the rooms and provide branded toothbrushes. Or, branded lobster bibs, with a stern warning that they have to eat their bugs elsewhere.

@Susan151 You've been stalking that website, haven't you? 🙂

The bibs will say,  "Do NOT - repeat NOT - think this means you can eat here.  Take these with you and go out!"

@Ann72 wrote:

@Susan151 You've been stalking that website, haven't you? 🙂  

Nope. I used to run a non-profit and had to come up with ideas every single year of stuff that people would want to buy and wouldn't make me ill to sell.

@Susan151 Good Lord.  That's almost as bad as coming up with a Christmas gift for a husband every year!  Divorce has so many benefits...

@Ann72  I've always found men really hard to buy gifts for, even the men I know well. Seems like anything they really want costs hundreds of dollars- some power tool or something.

Your note pads are a great idea for guests.

@Ann72  I have a dog that's a constant shedder. Of course, I 'm always sweeping and vacuuming the dog hair, but all she has to do is walk by and there's dog hair around. 

I've been thinking of stealing the wording I saw on a set of dish towels and aprons- "Dog hair is both a condiment and a fashion statement".

@Sarah977 Hilarious!  Do it!  🙂

I think one of the reasons you and your place is so popular is your sense of humor.

@Ann72  Well, I didn't come up with that one myself,  like I said, I'd be stealing it, but I also thought it was hilarious when I saw it.

Yes, I joke around a lot with my guests. I had a guest a month ago who had stayed for about 8 days. We got along well and had some great conversations. She was a seasoned traveler and had used Airbnb a lot- she was a really nice and savvy guest. For instance, as soon as she got settled in her room, she called me up to point out that the little shelf in the closet was loose- almost falling off the wall, in fact. She wasn't complaining- she knew to point out things that were broken or almost broken when she checked in, so she wouldn't get blamed as a guest. I had also checked her reviews before I accepted her booking- they were all great and there were lots of them. She had also reviewed all her hosts nicely- if there was something amiss, she just mentioned it in a factual manner, rather than some kind of nasty rant.

On her last night here, she called me up to her room, saying there were suddenly a bunch of ants running around. I went up, and indeed there were about 20-(ants are very prevalent where I live) but they were sort of randomly running around on the walls and ceiling of the bathroom- likely scouts looking for place for the rest of the crew to deposit their eggs. 

I said I could go get my insect spray, but asked the guest whether she really wanted to sleep in an insecticide-filled room or whether we should just kill them. We opted to kill them, smashing them with shoes. It was pretty funny, I was up on a chair trying to get the ones near the ceiling, she was smushing the ones lower down. In the midst of it, I turned to her and said "Just don't mention it in the review, okay?"

She didn't.

@Sarah977 Ha!  Thanks for the first laugh of the day!  🙂