Starting out

Lana1222
Level 3
Bathsheba, Barbados

Starting out

Hello everyone! Happy Thursday!

No first guests as yet, but it's been less than a week, and I am a "new kid on the block" so to say, so I do have some more small things to adjust- learning all the way!

Looking forward to meeting and welcoming the first person!!

To all new to this world like me- all the very best in everything! Manifesting abundance!

Best

Lana🌻🤗

8 Replies 8
Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Lana1222 😊

Welcome to the community!

I’m sorry to hear it’s taking some time to get your first guests. It can definitely be a learning process!

I've mentioned someone who might be able to help you get started: @Roberto2387@Vincenzo89@Marie8425.

Don't hesitate to check out these articles 👉 starting out on Airbnb.

Wishing you all the best on your journey! 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center

Hello @Elisa 

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I reached out to @Marie8425 as my booking is exclusive to females. Her suggestions have been incredibly helpful.

I have also had some exposure to what appeared to be suspicious requests, and emboldened to feel comfortable reinforcing my boundaries as well as making sure that I am providing a good experience for the guest.

Oh and great news- I have my first booking Yay! Very excited.

Thank you again very much

Best, Lana

@Lana1222 

Another thought came to mind about your market choice maybe something similar that I do.

I smoke cigarettes in a designated spot but indoors so you can smell if you don't smoke,  I am in a market that stays 30 -90 days and smoking is not the normal.  

I don't hide my bad habit lol.

Next week, I have a full house of 3 guests and as usual all non smokers.

I am generally full it is considered lucky to get a spot with me.  

The reason is because making my product the rental, directed at being the best choice for longer duration employment stays the market finds me now and very rarely is my smoking even mentioned in a review.

You have personal knowledge of your market.  Not a suggestion spend thousands. my latest highlight well received a bed reading pillow.  It is usually the small things when you are traveling the gee would be nice.

Hello @Marie8425 

Thank you for your thoughtful reply as always.

I don't smoke, can't bear it, so it would not be a consideration for me, thank you.

The point about little things is well-taken and so true. 

I really do appreciate your helpful tips!

Best for a great week ahead.

Lana

@Lana1222 

Sorry my point was you know your market woman traveling alone.  Create the space that your knowledge a single woman would just appreciate as special.  Nothing outrageous because we all know as the customer we pay for the outrageous.  Small things as a customer we say better details that make the customer feel sincerity to please them.

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Lana1222 

Hello Congratulation!  Very cute property!

Some ides

Reorganize the photos, so where you sleep is not a picture of a door.

It says tv show that in your pictures.

In your amenities include everything right now it says the kitchen has a microwave, include stove, refrigerator not all kitchens have everywhere.

A single female is a very small market especially sight seeing or hiking somewhere unknown.  You know you area but you have to tell guests.  Think if you were traveling alone and I said come to Buckeye AZ.  You would have a million questions because you are by yourself.  Speak in the description about safety, about activities for a single female and close to transportation is good take some picture though.  

The other thing to consider, I understand nervous about males when you are starting out.  I do mostly work related guests so predominately single males  it is really about vetting, but that's later haha.

Not Instabook but allow 2 guests because a couple or mom and kid probably be fine and you are just chatting to get an idea what  is the market, you don't have to approve anyone your not comfortable with in your home.

If you do decide to open the market.  One thing I do is my ad does say I want to view a legal id that matches reservation names.  I never accept an unnamed guest.  I still get a few scammers but they usually go away if I remind them.  Also to limit possible scammers, I would limit how many days for a reservation maybe 13 days.

If an inquiry is sent you just respond don't decline unless an actual request.  Airbnb will track declines but I decline hasn't effected me but it is reasonable. 

Oh and put one of your beautiful photos on the cover of your guidebook lol.

Hello @Marie8425 ! Thank you so much for this very detailed and helpful information! I took a long time to reply because I wanted to follow through immediately on some of the things you mentioned , as well as give you a comprehensive reply.

I rearranged the pictures

The TV has yet to be installed but I did not want to let that deter me from putting up my listing

I adjusted to add the amenities in the listing as well . They are in the pictures but I see that people may not always look at pictures

In my country and as a matter of security and my personal principles, one female only is the guest that I am prepared to accommodate- I am living in my home and the guest is sharing the home with me , so that is that. I have full faith that just as I am and have always been a single traveler, , there is a market available.

No children as long as I am still in my home with the guest- my decision is final on that one

I am so very, very grateful for the advice on requiring ID /facial confirmation as that has saved me from what appeared to be suspicious requests.

I still have a few attractions/activities to add- thank you for the advice.

And I have had my first official booking! Yay!

Once again thank you very much for taking the time to be so helpful. I really appreciate it.

Best, Lana

Congratulations!  You will do wonderful,  Enjoy!