Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Stay open or shut down

Frances157
Level 1
Breslau, CA

Stay open or shut down

Hello hosts!

I’m wondering if some of you have decided to shut down in light of the Covid situation...do we as hosts want to enable unnecessary travel and do we want to put our own health at risk?

Your thoughts and  input would be appreciated!

Frances- Breslau, Ontario, Canada

3 Replies 3
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Frances157 

Personally, I do not want to encourage any unnecessary travel right now or put anyone, including myself in danger.

So, for the time being, I have decided I will accept one, local long-term guest (I normally host long-term anyway), so more of a lodger really. However, they will need to be working from home and willing to abide by our current Government lock down regulations. To be honest, I don't think I will get a guest for a long time anyway, but that is the only type of guest I will consider. Tourists, definitely not.

If your listing is an entire unit, you could also consider hosting a key worker, e.g. doctor or nurse, if you think it is safe to do so and have the proper cleaning processes in place. I am not an expert on that but there are plenty of other threads on the subject where you could get some advice if you need it.

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

I'm staying open right now. There's still some demand in Philadelphia. This includes those essential workers need place between shifts, health care workers don't want to risk staying with their family, those need quarantine, etc. I lowered the price to about half the normal and I'm receiving bookings all the time still.Also taking extra precautions and avoid human to human contact, as well as training the cleaning crews to take extra steps to disinfect between guests. I think this should give good reason to stay open, as to help those essential workers in need, but take extra precautions and it's different in different regions.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I didn't want to risk our health so I closed my units already in February as soon as I realized Covid is spreading out of Asia even before it exploded in Europe. I offered my guests a mutual cancelation and all of them accepted. I decided to wait until the pandemic is over.